Great Eastern Photo Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakite

Jul 3, 2004
Singapore
The Great Eastern Photo Competition is back again, This year's theme: "Life is great"

Download Entry Forms from: www.lifeisgreat.com.sg

Submit your entries by 30 June 2006

Hehe, what are ya'll waitin for? Go shoot !

None of the cynicism about contestants surrendering their copyrights, GE milking photographers, etc. please.

It's a free world, if they want to take part in the contest, they have to abide by the conditions. If you don't like the conditions, don't take part.

Wai Leong
===

waileong said:
None of the cynicism about contestants surrendering their copyrights, GE milking photographers, etc. please.

It's a free world, if they want to take part in the contest, they have to abide by the conditions. If you don't like the conditions, don't take part.

Wai Leong
===
Sounds so much like the organiser.:thumbsup:

ortega said:
for 10K I will gladly give up my rights

I totally agree. Even for $6000 or $3000, wouldn't be a problem as well ;)

Just to clarify, for digital pic,winners to bring CF card for as proved of true ownership of the image???:embrass:

a novice question: for the competition, do you need a model release for anyone regconizable in the pic?

ortega said:
every year same theme

Well its their slogan.

They want to use the photos for their advertising campaign. Print on their brochures etc. A theme like "Food Glorious Food" would yield images which are useless to them.

Its a very good idea actually. They get a whole range of photos to choose from, many professional to use for their ad campaigns. Whereas it would cost them about the same amount to hire a pro to do it, with far less variety and choice.

I don't see this as milking photographers and I'm not against it... gives small time photographers a chance to shine. Else contracts such as these will go to the established names. Of course if you're a professional photographer, you'll shun this. Takes away yr business and makes you compete for your $$, rather than hiring you outright which is guranteed income.

Of course you could argue that pros work hard to establish themseleves, and its only right they harvest the fruits of their labour, in terms of being sought after and hired for lucrative projects.:)

Whatever it is, be ready to be disappointed no matter how good your photos are. Some competitions require usual internal networking and affiliation. Unless the judging process is transparent and points based. You'll find year after year questionable winning photos which no one can explain why despite the instructors telling you to apply crop here and there, apply rule of 3rd or photo must be dead sharp. IMHO, some competitions are worth taking part some are just a poorly organised show you can just afford to miss. You can take it that I wrote this or heard it from somewhere. :)

solarii said:
Well its their slogan.

They want to use the photos for their advertising campaign. Print on their brochures etc. A theme like "Food Glorious Food" would yield images which are useless to them.

Its a very good idea actually. They get a whole range of photos to choose from, many professional to use for their ad campaigns. Whereas it would cost them about the same amount to hire a pro to do it, with far less variety and choice.

I don't see this as milking photographers and I'm not against it... gives small time photographers a chance to shine. Else contracts such as these will go to the established names. Of course if you're a professional photographer, you'll shun this. Takes away yr business and makes you compete for your $$, rather than hiring you outright which is guranteed income.

Of course you could argue that pros work hard to establish themseleves, and its only right they harvest the fruits of their labour, in terms of being sought after and hired for lucrative projects.:)
i know and i am not against it.

sportshooter said:
Whatever it is, be ready to be disappointed no matter how good your photos are. Some competitions require usual internal networking and affiliation. Unless the judging process is transparent and points based. You'll find year after year questionable winning photos which no one can explain why despite the instructors telling you to apply crop here and there, apply rule of 3rd or photo must be dead sharp. IMHO, some competitions are worth taking part some are just a poorly organised show you can just afford to miss. You can take it that I wrote this or heard it from somewhere. :)

This is definitely true especially when the price involved is huge and the judging is closed door.

billitone said:
what's up with local kids?
too 'clean' & 'well fed':devil:

billitone said:
what's up with local kids?

Simple. With all the school work, streaming, exam stress, Life's Not So Great For them. :bsmilie:

I doubt you'll win showing depressed local kids crying cos they didn't get into XXX sch, or primary school kids lugging school bags bigger than a mountaineer's under the Theme "Life Is Great".

Status
Not open for further replies.