Great eastern..... life ain't that great

Status
Not open for further replies.

rueyloon

Jan 17, 2002
www.rueyloon.com
eh, you guys seen the rules on the GEF - life is great contest ?

it seems that you lose your copy right by just entering !! and you'll have to submit your negs/slides WHEN you're entering !!!

sounds ridiculous to me,
anyone here want to start a signature campaign to show our displeasure at that unfair rule ?

Originally posted by rueyloon
eh, you guys seen the rules on the GEF - life is great contest ?

it seems that you lose your copy right by just entering !! and you'll have to submit your negs/slides WHEN you're entering !!!

sounds ridiculous to me,
anyone here want to start a signature campaign to show our displeasure at that unfair rule ?

Can't access the entry conditions, care to post them here please?

I seem to remember reading that only the winning entries need to submit the originals. But yes, everyone surrenders copyright by entering. It's a draconian condition, which unfortunately people will ignore because [1] they don't realise its significance [2] haven't read the fine print or [3] are willing to chance it because of the high first prize.

There aren't many competitions around with a S$10k top prize... but I agree that taking the copyright only from the winning entries would be a far more "fair" stipulation, however I guarantee you they will not be short on entries because of that huge carrot.

here's the entry form in PDF

http://www.lifeisgreat.com.sg/ligkids2002/index.html

the 2 lines I'm referring to is

8) all entries submitted will become the sole property of the organiser who also reserves the right to use them in any manner that ius deemed fit, without payment of any fee.

9) all participants must submit their non-returnable negatives or transparencies to the organiser for publicity purposes.

Later few years down the road...we see some of our works pop out in ads....copyright to G.E. Hehehehehhe

Well, at least they bother to tell you that they're gonna use your photo. Got a call from them a couple of days ago, telling me they're gonna use one of the pics I submitted for some charity vote this coming Monday. Watch out for it in this Monday's Today newspaper.

And vote for mine, hor?

Ruey,

Thanks for posting the relevant clause.

Actually it's not uncommon for such clauses to be put in competitions run by companies ... which is why most pros steer well clear of competitons, after all who wants to give a potential client your work for free :devil:

On a more serious note, I wonder how binding such a clause would become in light of the Berne Copyright Convention amd in the hands of a good legal team.

8) looks ok, since it is in most competition rules... but 9) looks ridiculous.....

8) makes it looks like they just get to use them for free, but 9) tells you that by entering, you're giving up your copy right...

there are some competition that will require you to give up the copyright ONLY if you win... but this is just riduculous !!

8) looks ok, since it is in most competition rules... but 9) looks ridiculous.....

8) makes it looks like they just get to use them for free, but 9) tells you that by entering, you're giving up your copy right...

there are some competition that will require you to give up the copyright ONLY if you win... but this is just riduculous !!

Me too! Sharing the same sentiment. ;(

Who wants a slide copy stand? :p

8)There are some competition that will require you to give up the copyright ONLY if you win... but this is just riduculous !!

As the competition is being conducted by an Advertising Agency it doesn't take a genius consider that such an agreement gives them

Lots of royalty FREE stock images/photos with the rights to use them as they please

What's worse is that from what I've just been reading, in accordance with Singapore law (Copyright Act 1987) you assign copyright for a period of 50 years after your death to the promoters of the competition, their heirs or exccutors.

Well, it's like this. I'm not a professional, so I would be flattered to have my pictures used for whatever purposes.

Anyone noticed the clause that said if NONE of the prizes were deemed of a high enough standard to win the first prize, the $12,000 would NOT be awarded?

"Sorry, they were all great photos, but not that great. Too bad. But thanks for the pictures!"

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Anyone noticed the clause that said if NONE of the prizes were deemed of a high enough standard to win the first prize, the $12,000 would NOT be awarded?

I noticed that clause, and what an escape clause it is .. I also noted the limitations on entry don't state who the agency is nor the company running the competition, an omission that would render such a clause invalid in most countries.

It's a shame that legal constraints stop me from stating my views on competitions such as this.

Actually, on the basis of those two clauses, copyright is not necessarily surrendered. The "lawyer" who's already posted ;) (not me lah) should know that...

Ownership and copyright are two distinct things in intellectual property terms. However I distinctly remember the surrender of copyright somewhere. If the link is still active, then if someone gives me the URL again in this thread I can pop over and have a look.

Ian, on the basis of just those two clauses as listed by RL, I'd say you have every chance of retaining copyright on the entries, less chance if you're a winner but still a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.