Great bokeh from the 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander

cannedpineapples

Jul 25, 2011
Just got this low light wonder. Useful for those considering Leica 25mm/1.4 alternatives. (for me, it came down to 'shallowest DOP possible around this focal length').

Took these pictures at night, indoors, basically in a candle-lit environment. All hand-held. Love the wonderful bokeh- most of which were from a far focusing condition (especially the portrait!)

Enjoy.

http://cannedpineapples.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/il-cielo-for-wonderful-skinny-pizza/

Last edited:
wow smooth...

Whats the total damage?

You can pick it up for BnS for under $1200. More expensive than the PL 25/1.4, but imho, worth it since you can't get such bokeh at this Focal Length with anything else in m43. :)

And personally, bokeh is the main reason I upgraded from a PnS.

Can't help but to revive this old thread as I'm really interested to hear what experiences other CSers have with the V 25/0.95. This is one of the lenses I'm seriously considering to pair with my upcoming OMD EM5 kit 12-50 zoom (which is as slow as it can get). Other contenders are the 20/1.7 and 25/1.4.

Also, besides the obviously buttery smooth bokeh, how are the other attributes of the V 25/0.95? I hear vignetting can get quite serious wide open, which I believe is what most users of this lens will shoot at. The build quality seems very solid from the reviews.

Finally, where can I buy this lens in Singapore?

Last edited:
rhema83 said:
Can't help but to revive this old thread as I'm really interested to hear what experiences other CSers have with the V 25/0.95. This is one of the lenses I'm seriously considering to pair with my upcoming OMD EM5 kit 12-50 zoom (which is as slow as it can get). Other contenders are the 20/1.7 and 25/1.4.

Also, besides the obviously buttery smooth bokeh, how are the other attributes of the V 25/0.95? I hear vignetting can get quite serious wide open, which I believe is what most users of this lens will shoot at. The build quality seems very solid from the reviews.

Finally, where can I buy this lens in Singapore?

Bokeh is decent, personally find it distracting at times. Some vignetting but not serious. built is very good and focusing very smooth. One feature I like is 0.17m close focusing. But it also big heavy lens. Only decent sharp at centre wide, stop down to 1.4 gets very good sharpness. have a set inside my flickr can check out. Its not easy using wide open coz dof can be real thin. hope that helps

wonglp said:
Bokeh is decent, personally find it distracting at times. Some vignetting but not serious. built is very good and focusing very smooth. One feature I like is 0.17m close focusing. But it also big heavy lens. Only decent sharp at centre wide, stop down to 1.4 gets very good sharpness. have a set inside my flickr can check out. Its not easy using wide open coz dof can be real thin. hope that helps

Agree with the point on thin DOF. Fortunately the smaller m4/3 sensor results in more DOF for the same composition compared to a DSLR or RF (50/0.95). For me, it's the low light ability that I'm attracted to. I am not very fond of using flash. Sometimes for night shots or indoor shots where flash is not permitted, I have little choice but to shoot wide open, pump the ISO and hope for the best.

At 400g this lens is still lighter than the Sigma 30/1.4 and much lighter than the 35/1.4L.

Agree with the point on thin DOF. Fortunately the smaller m4/3 sensor results in more DOF for the same composition compared to a DSLR or RF (50/0.95). For me, it's the low light ability that I'm attracted to. I am not very fond of using flash. Sometimes for night shots or indoor shots where flash is not permitted, I have little choice but to shoot wide open, pump the ISO and hope for the best.

At 400g this lens is still lighter than the Sigma 30/1.4 and much lighter than the 35/1.4L.

Ya the low light is indeed awesome, which is the main reason one is paying the money for, I'm also not a flash person unless necessary;p Still it's weight and size can be a little unbalanced for pen, which is what i'm using. On a dslr, this would be ok. You can try it out at chiff just to be sure if you like it. cheers