Grease patches on UV filter

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi everyone,I have a Hoya HMC 67mm UV filter.Recently I noticed some "grease or oil-like"patches on the filter itself.You have to tilt the filter to a certain angle before the patches is noticeable.I have tried cleaning the lens but i only manage to clean some of it.My friend commended that it is some kind of grease or oil kind of thing but i am clueless.But however it doesn't seem to affect the IQ in any way.& sorry guys,i have tried following the steps to post the image but i got lost halfway thru...So to all brudders what should i do now...is there any kind of cleaning solution or any way to get rid of the grease-like patches?i am still wondering how the patches can be stuck in the filter & also where is the source?Pls help & thanks very much!

I take it that you've tried almost everything.

Try soap and water. Dishing washing liquid, if it's grease, it'll work. Wet the filter, put a drop on, finger it, rinse, dry and thoroughly dry it inside yr dry cabinet before putting it back permanently on yr cam.

Huh...dish washing liquid as in Mama lemon :bsmilie: Well,I will give it a shot & see what is the outcome lor...Thanks pal!

I take my bet that it's due to overzealous cleaning of UV filter and the coating is wearing off. Those patches don't affect your image quality doesn't it? If it doesn't, ignore it :)

Oh...ur right skystrike I clean the lens quite often.maybe the coating is wearing off...Anyway,I took Mama Lemon & cleaned the filter.& Now it looks minty.thank you guys!

usually small fingerprints doesn't affect image quality and can be wiped off with your microfibre cloth easily if you do it the same day. But if you leave the grease/oil on for long, you may have to use mama lemon liao.

Personally I don't use chemical as much as possible - it can be usually done with just microfibre cloth and some blowing. I do have a can (pressurized air) blower to blow off dust on lens/filter for a quick and powerful job ;)

Throw the filter and stop being anal about things at your front elements. There is no need to hunt down tiny dust spots. It needs a lot bigger objects to affect your images. Focus on the photographic part, not the polishing of glass and plastics.
Dirty lens article

Get urself a lenspen. The carbon powder pad is the way to clean grease mark.