Gray Market in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

appumathew

Nov 14, 2009
I got introduced to the term gray market only last week when one of my social networking site contact asked me for the price of canon 5d mark II in singapore gray market. I understand the term now, however, i do not know where i should go to find grey market product in singapore. Since its legal, i hope somebody can throw some light into my query?

Last edited:
One reliable shop for gray products is Orient Photo at top floor SLS. TCW at Peninsular Shopping Centre (Not Peninsular Plaza) also sells Gray products but heard some not so good stories about their pricing. Visit both of them and make your own judgment.

One reliable shop for gray products is Orient Photo at top floor SLS. TCW at Peninsular Shopping Centre (Not Peninsular Plaza) also sells Gray products but heard some not so good stories about their pricing. Visit both of them and make your own judgment.

but i believe warranty is not available.

Some grey comes with warranty and it's usually shop warranty meaning, for any services required you'll need to bring them to Orient and they will bring it to gawd-knows-where and repair will take awhile. When I once asked for a grey set 580EXII, they claim it'll at least 2-4 weeks for general repairs. I ended up getting local set from Cathay.

Long time already....it's called export set. Price chaeper, but comes with risk factor.

but i believe warranty is not available.
I believe when you say warranty, you mean manufacturer warranty. True, gray products are parallel imported goods and has no warranty from manufacturer or authorized dealer.

However, gray products usually carry shop warranty so the shop that sell you the product is responsible for repairing the item within the provided warranty period. However, the time it takes to get it repair varies from shop to shop and will usually be longer than if you go to the manufacturer.

One thing not too many people are aware of is the gray products that are being sold in those big US online stores such as B&H or Adorama. They have USA products and Imported products. The imported products are what we called gray products/parallel imported products here and are usually priced lower than the USA products.

The shop provides 1-yr shop warranty but in some cases, they will pay for the repair locally by the manufacturer since shipping back and forth might be more costly to them so in essence you are getting the manufacturer warranty when you pay less for the Imported products. Of course, they might ask you to send the products back so there is no guarantee that you will get to fix the products locally every time something goes wrong with your Imported products.

Out of curiousity, how much was the 5Dmk2 gray set quoted for?

5D Mark II is still in hot demand worldwide, I don't think you can find any Imported units in USA. Perhaps a refurbished one, maybe? Since USA has a very generous return policy, the returned unit will have to be send back to Canon USA and they will have to repack it and sell them as refurbished. But the availability of the refurbished units are really depends on the no. of units that are returned and it might take a while for Canon to be able to provide a shipment out.

hey thanks for the replies.:thumbsup: I will check out the stores suggested here for gray products. Im planning to buy d5000 soon. Prolly but from white market only. But for extra lenses may be i'll look into gray market.Lenses sold in gray market, right?:think:

any idea if there's any difference in repair charges for grey set compared to agent set without warranty???

any idea if there's any difference in repair charges for grey set compared to agent set without warranty???
I believe for Canon Singapore, if it is out of warranty, there is no distinction between gray and local sets. However, I understand in Canon Hong Kong and other countries, they give a big discount on labor for the out of warranty local sets repairs.

How about Nikon ?

I thinking of getting a USA lens with 5 years warranty.

Will the local NSC honor the warranty ? If so, for how long ?

Thanks

How about Nikon ?

I thinking of getting a USA lens with 5 years warranty.

Will the local NSC honor the warranty ? If so, for how long ?

Thanks

Why not call up NSC and ask?

Checked.

The extended warranty is for USA only.

Nikon will honor the 1st year only

Status
Not open for further replies.