Gray Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckalas

Sep 12, 2006
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hello all,

May i know where can i find Gray Cards(KODAK ones)? Recently I went to CP, the person told me that it wont be coming for some time as it's not widely used today compared to the film days. However, I would like to try it out. =)

I believe it can be used for presetting whitebalance as well (if you turn it over to the white surface).

Thanks in advance!

Oh ya...Happy new year!

DIY by going to the art shop to buy those white thick vanguard/plastic sheet, cut to the size you want. Can also use a bounce for your flash too. I did.

You can just get white colour though.

Be careful with white paper, as the white is not necessarily white. A proper grey card is guaranteed to be neutral. If you are bothering to take a WB measurement, then you would want it to be as accurate as possible.

DIY by going to the art shop to buy those white thick vanguard/plastic sheet, cut to the size you want. Can also use a bounce for your flash too. I did.

You can just get white colour though.
TS is looking for gray card, (18% gray card by Kodak) not bounce card

Hello all,

May i know where can i find Gray Cards(KODAK ones)? Recently I went to CP, the person told me that it wont be coming for some time as it's not widely used today compared to the film days. However, I would like to try it out. =)

I believe it can be used for presetting whitebalance as well (if you turn it over to the white surface).

Thanks in advance!

Oh ya...Happy new year!

the Kodak greycard is an exposure card not a white balance card! so no use of buying for if you are interested in white balance.
While it is possible to get the white balance from a white surface it is not recommended since you operate the sensor at the top of the range of it sensitivity.... you run a risk that you blow highlights, ie overread and hence do not get a reliable reading.
better is to have a light grey surface. its important the the grey is really grey without any colour cast, otherwise you screw your white balance....

the Kodak greycard is an exposure card not a white balance card! so no use of buying for if you are interested in white balance.
While it is possible to get the white balance from a white surface it is not recommended since you operate the sensor at the top of the range of it sensitivity.... you run a risk that you blow highlights, ie overread and hence do not get a reliable reading.
better is to have a light grey surface. its important the the grey is really grey without any colour cast, otherwise you screw your white balance....
Kodak greycard is usable to do white balance setting, since it is neutral.

hm yea i want to use it for whitebalance under different lightings... but i'm unsure of where to get it:(...

I find that white sheet of paper is not so accurate as it's slightly towards the blue side? the picture i took after presetting it to the white paper became warm..haha

yea i wanna try out grey cards..and am curious abt it..thanks for the replies..

i just want to know which shop still sells it...last i heard CP had it but it's not available anymore:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.