Graphic Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Matter

Jul 22, 2008
Which Graphic Card are you guys using to power your monitor?
Will ATI 4770 be sufficient for U2410? or 5770 will be better?

depends what you want to do.

4770/5770 are more of gaming cards whereas workstation cards like matrox and leadtek are what you are looking for if want to do encoding/rendering. I think NTU still using FireGL cards.

you don't need a high end 3D graphic card to power a 24" LCD monitor, unless you are playing 3D games. Most recent graphic card can support 24" LCD monitor.

Any recommendation for a Graphic Card for use with Lr and element 8 on a U2410?

Any recommendation for a Graphic Card for use with Lr and element 8 on a U2410?

LR and Elements do not need a high end graphic card. You can just get the cheapest Ati with DVI support out there.

I would stick to nVidia cards for graphics work. ATI drivers haven driven me nuts and from what I heard, continue to do so.

I would stick to nVidia cards for graphics work. ATI drivers haven driven me nuts and from what I heard, continue to do so.

Odd... I've had the exact opposite experience. :)

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro AGP
Very cheap. Good enough for me.
Plug and play with XP. No issues since day 1.

Motherboards these days are PCI Express? (Think AGP was phased out years ago.)

Get something in the $200 +- $30 range. An ATI 4770 or the likes on the nvidia lineup would surfice.

Unless you need strong AA (which in this case you don't), you do not need to go for professional cards.

As for drivers, each company has their own fair share of problems, ups and downs. Both are very stable, and if a user experices issues, it's usually his fault/the operating system's fault/some other conflicting software's fault(which in turn is still his fault). I use both brand and the only time i had any real issues was with a quad monitor setup and 2 series of nvidia cards would not mix and match due to driver issues. They have since rectified this problem with their drivers.

Leadtek manufactures cards not GPUs.

Motherboards these days are PCI Express? (Think AGP was phased out years ago.)

My outdated MSI motherboard Neo 865 still going strong. Never give problem.

I've been using a pretty old nVidia Quadro NVS 280 Pro for a long time on my trusty old Athlon XP2500 system. Since I have upgraded to a quad core last week, I bought an ATI 5770 with 1GB GDDR5 RAM and I'm never been more happier. The Asus Cu Core ATI 5770 is selling cheap with a free Belkin Pure AV HDMI / DVI cable now.. Go get it :p

For the usual surfing and stuffs, u dun really need a high end graphics card. Those integrated ones work great too.

BTW da guru geekbrains just answered. Dark Matter u got ur answer :bsmilie:

ryan

Forgot to highlight...I am building a new system so prefer a PCI card. I dont want to build a "old" new system.;)

LR and Elements do not need a high end graphic card. You can just get the cheapest Ati with DVI support out there.

Any diff between connecting by DVI and HDMI on a U2410.

Get something in the $200 +- $30 range. An ATI 4770 or the likes on the nvidia lineup would surfice.

Unless you need strong AA (which in this case you don't), you do not need to go for professional cards.

As for drivers, each company has their own fair share of problems, ups and downs. Both are very stable, and if a user experices issues, it's usually his fault/the operating system's fault/some other conflicting software's fault(which in turn is still his fault). I use both brand and the only time i had any real issues was with a quad monitor setup and 2 series of nvidia cards would not mix and match due to driver issues. They have since rectified this problem with their drivers.

Leadtek manufactures cards not GPUs.

Will the memory like 512mb or 1gb in a graphic card play a important role in Lr and Element 8
application.

I've been using a pretty old nVidia Quadro NVS 280 Pro for a long time on my trusty old Athlon XP2500 system. Since I have upgraded to a quad core last week, I bought an ATI 5770 with 1GB GDDR5 RAM and I'm never been more happier. The Asus Cu Core ATI 5770 is selling cheap with a free Belkin Pure AV HDMI / DVI cable now.. Go get it :p

can share what makes you so satisfy about the 5770 as compare to other like 4770 or 4650. What significant advantage does the 5770 has over the other lower end (like 4770 or 4650). needs some pointer to get a decent card but not overkilling in pricing and performance.

Photoshop CS4 will take advantage of the graphics processor GPU in processes like screen re-draw. The more graphics ram the better, and it has to support OpenGL. To see what aspects of CS4 will be accelerated, u can check up adobe's page on PS CS4 and graphics card support.

But. I think Lightroom is not accelerated by GPU of graphics card as of the current version. Not sure about Element 8, maybe others can give an input on this.

ryan

Any diff between connecting by DVI and HDMI on a U2410.

They are essentially the same. The only difference is that HDMI gives you the option of sound. Their encoding is the same. There are minor differences when it comes to noise, and specifications... but it's all negligible for end users like ourselves.

Will the memory like 512mb or 1gb in a graphic card play a important role in Lr and Element 8 application.

512MB is plenty these days.... vs 1 gb.. it would affect even your normal day to day usage, but it would not be significant enough for you to feel a huge difference. You could just drop a little more coin for the upgrade for peace of mind.

can share what makes you so satisfy about the 5770 as compare to other like 4770 or 4650. What significant advantage does the 5770 has over the other lower end (like 4770 or 4650). needs some pointer to get a decent card but not overkilling in pricing and performance.

5XXX is a newer series of cards vs the 4XXX.
The 5XXX supports DX11, 4XXX does not.
5xxx for the same model to model (EG: 5770 vs 4770) would effectively be a more powerful card.
5xxx series vs the old 4xxxx series runs cooler. Lower gpu temps at idle. Less power consumption as well.

Boils down to what you really want at the end of the day.

There KeeFy summed it up nicely for you.. The reason why I recommended Asus CuCore EAH5770 because, it runs cooler due to the 40nm Chip and the Copper HeatSink. The temperature is quite comparable to the Sapphire Vapor-X..Further the free HDMI to DVI cable can cost easily more than 60$. If I'm not mistaken there's a free Game DVD included (Alone in the Dark) as well making it an irresistible deal ;)

Pertaining to the difference between HDMI and DVI..Get it from the horse's mouth

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#83

Q. What is the difference between DVI and HDMI?

HDMI is DVI with the addition of:

* Audio (up to 8-channels uncompressed)
* Smaller Connector
* Support for YUV Color Space
* CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)
* CEA-861B InfoFrames

Last edited:
dis been a geat read ,,,haha coincidently i'm getting a new system, yeap geekbrains indeed sound geeky ,

cheers

Which Graphic Card are you guys using to power your monitor?
Will ATI 4770 be sufficient for U2410? or 5770 will be better?

Yes but ATI is slow than NVIDIA is faster. ATI will cause graphic card is broken down.

Not safe of 3 reasons for ATI
-slow and lag
-made in china
-cheap of made the graphic card

Safe of 3 reason for NVIDIA
-fast and no more lag
-expensive made good of quality
-reliable

I let you decide to choose above which safe or not safe.
Don't buy any cheap graphic cards expect NVIDIA.
I am knowledge about my computer.

I suggestion a NVIDIA Geforce series 9.

Yes but ATI is slow than NVIDIA is faster. ATI will cause graphic card is broken down.

Not safe of 3 reasons for ATI
-slow and lag
-made in china
-cheap of made the graphic card

Safe of 3 reason for NVIDIA
-fast and no more lag
-expensive made good of quality
-reliable

I let you decide to choose above which safe or not safe.
Don't buy any cheap graphic cards expect NVIDIA.
I am knowledge about my computer.

I suggestion a NVIDIA Geforce series 9.

Tell me what do you smoke dude.. Are you living under the rocks all these years?

Status
Not open for further replies.