an ASUS A7V motherboard.

Budget:
Less than $200, but preferably < $150.

Ram:
32mb on board the Graphic Card but preferably 64mb

Finally:
Must be compatible with WinXP.

Anyone can advise? :) :dunno:

There are quite a lot of cards can fit in but what is the main purpose of that PC?

NVIDIA GeForce4MX 400 128MB w/Fan - around $150
64MB for the above is $119
if you are not particular just get
NVIDIA GeForce 2MX400 64MB w/Fan - around $68

These are the cheaper ones. The pricing I gave are quite old so it should be cheaper now.:D

Originally posted by cillin
There are quite a lot of cards can fit in but what is the main purpose of that PC?

Alot of cards you say? :)
Ok, please suggest a few.

My PC is more a general purpose PC. For surfing online, for doing PS on my photos, a spot of Championship manager/Fifa2002 or Counterstrike when the mood strikes...

Thats abt it. :)

Originally posted by eug
NVIDIA GeForce4MX 400 128MB w/Fan - around $150
64MB for the above is $119
if you are not particular just get
NVIDIA GeForce 2MX400 64MB w/Fan - around $68

These are the cheaper ones. The pricing I gave are quite old so it should be cheaper now.:D

Hey Eug,

thanks for the suggestion. Not to nitpick but are there any other cards that are not from Nvidia? I am using on from MSI using a Nvidia chipset MX2 i think, with 32MN on board.

but somehow, it seems to hang when i play any games that requires 3D rendition. :(

Beside eug suggest on NVIDIA GeForce4MX chipset, you may want to consider ATI Radeon chipset too.

I have a PC using HERCULES (GUILLEMOT) 3D Prophet 8500 LE for non-3D gaming and application usage running on XP for past few months, no problem encountered so far but on a MSI M/B. I don't play game therefore I use TNT2 Ultra with Win 2K.

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Hey Eug,

thanks for the suggestion. Not to nitpick but are there any other cards that are not from Nvidia? I am using on from MSI using a Nvidia chipset MX2 i think, with 32MN on board.

but somehow, it seems to hang when i play any games that requires 3D rendition. :(

Update the drivers, BIOS or/and game patch. Sometime have to tune the BIOS, I making an assumption that your PC is not O/C.

Update the drivers, BIOS or/and game patch. Sometime have to tune the BIOS, I making an assumption that your PC is not O/C.

Hmm.. yeah. I tried twiddling ard wit the drivers.
How do i "tune" the BIOS?

My PC has not be O/C

MSI using a Nvidia chipset MX2

I am using the 64MB version for 1 1/2 years now. Yes, it is good. Not the best but it serve my applications well. OK, it seem to be that it doesn't matter what you are using as you are not particular, hence just get an average board. A lot depends on your application, if you intend to watch DVD on your PC or in fact an all rounder card get the ATI Radeon chipset boards. If you are not exactly into gaming and not wanting better DVD quality just get a $68 board will do. Just my 2 cents worth. There are many boards in the market and if you spent $150 and above, I believe they are all just as good but some will suit your needs better, whether you want better 2D or 3D or mpeg decoding. Hence I'm not going to list all the cards here.

Originally posted by eug

I am using the 64MB version for 1 1/2 years now. Yes, it is good. Not the best but it serve my applications well. OK, it seem to be that it doesn't matter what you are using as you are not particular, hence just get an average board. A lot depends on your application, if you intend to watch DVD on your PC or in fact an all rounder card get the ATI Radeon chipset boards. If you are not exactly into gaming and not wanting better DVD quality just get a $68 board will do. Just my 2 cents worth. There are many boards in the market and if you spent $150 and above, I believe they are all just as good but some will suit your needs better, whether you want better 2D or 3D or mpeg decoding. Hence I'm not going to list all the cards here.

Fair enough. :)

Thanks for the advise though.

Much appreciated. :)

Just to add, I have used numerous ATI and Matrox products for 6+years and I have concluded that the latest graphics board even the cheapest should be able to suit your needs. If you don't play 3D intensive games, a 32MB graphics card itself is already overkill. Mpeg Decoding is good now of these days too due to better software and faster microprocessors. Save yourself the money ... spent it on more film! or more memory for your PC;)

Suggested some of the possible parameters for tunning, not all M/B may have the parameter or may used slightly different terms of reference.

Parameter -> Setting
SDRam timing -> Normal or Slow
DRAM Interleave -> Disable
Delay DRAM Read Latch -> Auto/Enable
Fast RW Turn Around -> Disable
AGP-4X Mode -> Disable/1x
AGP FastWrite Support -> Disable/No Support
AGP Master 1WS write -> Disable
AGP Master 1WS read -> Disable

The above setting is trying to slow down as sometime too many things running too fast may hang the system. Disable any graphic card utility during Windows startup if any. Update the sound card driver too.

Originally posted by eug
Just to add, I have used numerous ATI and Matrox products for 6+years and I have concluded that the latest graphics board even the cheapest should be eble to suit your needs. If you don't play 3D intensive games, a 32MB graphics card itself is already overkill. Mpeg Decoding is good now of these days too due to better software and faster microprocessors. Save yourself the money ... spent it on more film! or more memory for your PC;)

My pC memory is already @ 640Mb. Hehe. Also considered over kill already.

Thanks again for your inputs. :)

Suggested some of the possible parameters for tunning, not all M/B may have the parameter or may used slightly different terms of reference.

Parameter -> Setting
SDRam timing -> Normal or Slow
DRAM Interleave -> Disable
Delay DRAM Read Latch -> Auto/Enable
Fast RW Turn Around -> Disable
AGP-4X Mode -> Disable/1x
AGP FastWrite Support -> Disable/No Support
AGP Master 1WS write -> Disable
AGP Master 1WS read -> Disable

The above setting is trying to slow down as sometime too many things running too fast may hang the system. Disable any graphic card utility during Windows startup if any. Update the sound card driver too.

Right ho.

Thanks. :)

din read the posts but ati radeon 9000 or similar is about <200

so interested in the MSI ti4200? shud be abt 150SGD

I second the recommendation of a Radeon.

Would you rather get a DX7 card thats the same gen as your Geforce 2 MX (the GF4 MXs) or a nice DX8 card? Yes, you may say that you don't play games, but for about the same price, why not? The Radeon's graphics quality, performance and MPEG2 decoding acceleration (it supports iDCT) is far superior than nVidia's offering.

Possible radeon 85xx gen boards:
Herc 8500LE 64MB
9000Pro 64MB
9000 64MB

In order of preference. ;) You would want to slot the Ti4200 around the area of the 9000Pro. But MSI? I dunno, but the 2D quality of nVidia's chipset has been rather behind ATi's offerings and light years behind Matrox. Since you'll be using mostly 2D apps, this should be a major consideration. Do you prefer a sharp or blurry screen? That's what the 2D iq will affect. :)

Originally posted by Zoomer
I second the recommendation of a Radeon.

Would you rather get a DX7 card thats the same gen as your Geforce 2 MX (the GF4 MXs) or a nice DX8 card? Yes, you may say that you don't play games, but for about the same price, why not? The Radeon's graphics quality, performance and MPEG2 decoding acceleration (it supports iDCT) is far superior than nVidia's offering.

Possible radeon 85xx gen boards:
Herc 8500LE 64MB
9000Pro 64MB
9000 64MB

In order of preference. ;) You would want to slot the Ti4200 around the area of the 9000Pro. But MSI? I dunno, but the 2D quality of nVidia's chipset has been rather behind ATi's offerings and light years behind Matrox. Since you'll be using mostly 2D apps, this should be a major consideration. Do you prefer a sharp or blurry screen? That's what the 2D iq will affect. :)

Thanks Z. :)

2D quality of nVidia's chipset has been rather behind ATi's offerings and light years behind Matrox.
You actually manage to see a difference? My... I can't. In terms of research technology and years of development, ATI and Matrox is better. Yes, but I think Nvdia's chipset for 2D does a good enough job. Back in those days where Matrox Millenium and ATI Pro were around they cost a good $500 and it was then that there were major difference in 2D compared to the other cards like s3 and Diamond. However, these days the graphics boards are good enough for all 2D apps.

P/S: Not to debunk anything but just for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.