Graphic Card suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Just upgraded my PC (P4 3GHz HT 1GB DDR2 RAM), now looking for a graphic card to work together. My old graphic card is AGP slot and my new motherboard only have PCI, PCI express, PCI mini. (not sure why they dont have AGP anymore?)
Any suggestion for a good graphic card? (I dont play games, only edit photos and watch DVDs ;) )

eh. cos the new generation of gfx cards are going the way of the new PCI Express.

and er, your budget for the card?

since you don't play games, i guess you can make do with any Radeon X300 128MB DDR card at about $100++.

for a more decent well-rounded performance (just in case, you know), you might wanna get either a Radeon X600 Pro 256MB DDR or a Radeon X600XT 128MB DDR, set you back about $250 to below $280.

hi,
does the pc comes with onboard graphics?
if yes, you should try to use that and see if it meets your needs(which sounded pretty basic).
:)
ps

any of the cheaper PCI Express offerings from ATi will be good buys if you are using your PC primarily for image editing and DVDs as the image quality and color is good.

just make sure you buy either original ATi or more well known brands such as Sapphire, Gigabyte, etc.

stay away from those 'funny' and cheap 3rd party brands as the 2D image quality is usually not as good due to the use of cheaper components.

and... onboard graphics sucks!

Yes there is on board graphic, hence I can still use the pc for now and surf clubsnap :bsmilie:
So I shall get the ATI Radeon PCI express? Is 128MB DDR good enough? Would I see a whole lot difference with 256MB DDR?

Astin said:
Yes there is on board graphic, hence I can still use the pc for now and surf clubsnap :bsmilie:
So I shall get the ATI Radeon PCI express? Is 128MB DDR good enough? Would I see a whole lot difference with 256MB DDR?

what is your old graphic card?

Is it sufficient for your needs?

er, the 128MB is faster, the 256MB have more "power" to them, but slower.

i'm not really sure, but it won't make a difference to your needs cos you're not gaming.

Snow_One said:
what is your old graphic card?

Is it sufficient for your needs?
My old graphic card is ATI one but AGP socket, the one before that is nVidia also AGP socket, cannot use on new motherboard.

Astin said:
My old graphic card is ATI one but AGP socket, the one before that is nVidia also AGP socket, cannot use on new motherboard.

I know cannot use on your new PCI-Express slot, but the specs is still good enough.... get back the same range as it or one range higher.

No need the latest/top range if not playing game.

Waffle said:
er, the 128MB is faster, the 256MB have more "power" to them, but slower.

i'm not really sure, but it won't make a difference to your needs cos you're not gaming.
Cos some 128MB gfx is 256 bit aka 9800XT. Some 256MB gfx is only 128 bit! So which is faster? You decided!!! :D

Astin said:
My old graphic card is AGP slot and my new motherboard only have PCI, PCI express, PCI mini. (not sure why they dont have AGP anymore?)

to answer why AGP slots are gone with the new mainboards.

the new mainboards comes with the new PCI Express (PCIe) bus, hence the new generation of graphic cards using PCIe are here.

shawnlim said:
Cos some 128MB gfx is 256 bit aka 9800XT. Some 256MB gfx is only 128 bit! So which is faster? You decided!!! :D

what do u mean?

Last evening went to Sim Lim bought the Asus ATI X300 128M PCIexpress, cost $105, plug in and install driver in <10minutes (high tech!), now the photos load up much faster. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.