Granting exclusive rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

babykailan

Sep 5, 2006
Singapore
autarkic.org
Hi pros,

I have 3 photos selected by an agency for use by a pet food company in Japan. The scope is still unclear but will very likely appear in their packaging. They are asking for exclusive rights to these photos for 3 years. How much should I charge per photo? Is 500USD for 3 years OK? :sweat:

USD 1500 per image per media per year is the industry norm.

but you can always set your own 'package' price.

Hey congrats! Your cats Baobao and Beibei are so adorable, makes anyone wants to buy pet food if they saw the pics.. lol. I figured its their pics that got chosen? Any case congrats!

My advice is don quote a price.
Instead ask the interested party to offer.
At least you will be in a better position to evaluate your next move.
If the offer is too high, then just accept it if the terms are reasonable.
If the offer is too low, just thank them and inform that the offer is too low.

All the best in your negotiations.

Cheers

$500 will be too low, the sum should be much more than that.

read this thread.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35385

but note this, if it is a product shoot, then you have a lower bargaining power as it can be duplicated very easily, but if it is a portrait (of your pet) for example, you'll have slightly more bargaining power.

cheers

For me, my answer is simple...

Charge $1 for every box that the company produces that has the picture of your image.

Firstly, congratulations for getting your pics chosen!

It's the money game here and if they are using "only" your pics for the entire period, then charging them a one-time fee is nor worthwhile. They are bound to make lots of money.

Like what agape01 said, charge them US$1 for every packet or box produced. Another way is to charge them a percentage out of their advertising budget, say 2-5%.

This way, you will be more motivated and they know that with your pics, their products will sell.

Of course, in future, they might engage you again.

All the best!

congrats!!

Scottish folds ruleZ!!

lump sum will be better..i don't think u are so free to monitor their production figures and i doubt they want to that..

bargain too hard..they might just use other pple's fotos..

;)

Thanks all!

I am proposing to them a charge of USD1200 per photo per year. They are not big-timers so I may be quoting on a high, which allows me to bargain and lower a little if necessary. I am not about to frighten them away.

Have a good week everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.