Grandpa's old seagull

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensires

Oct 25, 2003
Grandpa's old Seagull camera. Didn't know Grandpa had an interest in photography too till aunt dug this out from the storeroom. Sure brings back memories... thot I shud share - doubt many wud have seen cameras this ancient ... manual film winding!! :bsmilie:

109_0937.jpg

109_0948.jpg

109_0961.jpg

109_0971.jpg

109_0988.jpg

109_0989.jpg

110_1001.jpg

110_1051.jpg

Shots taken with Canon Ixus v3 (then PS-leveled) in my, erhem, studio... yeah with studio(read desk) lamps and all :bsmilie: Realised the shots are a lil too dark generally ... and wud have liked some closer shots ... but this is as close as my lil v3 in macro mode wud allow ... comments welcome ...

110_1055.jpg

sensires said:
Grandpa's old Seagull camera. Didn't know Grandpa had an interest in photography too till aunt dug this out from the storeroom. Sure brings back memories... thot I shud share - doubt many wud have seen cameras this ancient ... manual film winding!! :bsmilie:

shots taken with Canon Ixus v3 (then PS-leveled) in my, erhem, studio... yeah with studio(read desk) lamps and all :bsmilie: Realised the shots are a lil too dark generally ... and wud have liked some closer shots ... but this is as close as my lil v3 in macro mode wud allow ... comments welcome ...
]

Pretty good Camera :) .... my dad had an antique Pentax camera too, but throw it away when I shifted house :( ..... Your Seagull camera is a t-mount non battery type camera, is it?

Looks pretty well maintained.
Keep it well, and maybe you'll find fun playing around with a fully manual camera. They never run out of style, and don't have to worry about batteries--good in cold weather conditions.

OT, so, was the camera stored in a drybox? If no, then got fungus growth or not? :bsmilie:

ninelives said:
1:2.8 , lol :D better than some consumer lens.

hehe ... can enlighten this newbie? :embrass: what 1:2.8 actually represents? it's not the max aperture, is it?

blurblock said:
Pretty good Camera .... my dad had an antique Pentax camera too, but throw it away when I shifted house ..... Your Seagull camera is a t-mount non battery type camera, is it?

non-battery yup ... heehhe ... quite amazing yah?? machinery that doesn't run on either electricity or erm, petroleum ... pretty rare in our time isn't it? but the t-mount i'm not sure ... well the flash base does look like an inverted T ... so I guess it is a t-mount :dunno:

Ah Pao said:
Looks pretty well maintained.
Keep it well, and maybe you'll find fun playing around with a fully manual camera. They never run out of style, and don't have to worry about batteries--good in cold weather conditions.

OT, so, was the camera stored in a drybox? If no, then got fungus growth or not? :bsmilie:

hahhaha ... well I guess it's photogenic (yeah, the camera i mean) :bsmilie: ... it's actually in a pretty chia lat condition ... been kept in a camera bag with a few small moisture absorber sachets so no fungus, at least none my naked eye cud see ... but the film cover's jammed ... had to pry it open ... and the mirror have this tendency to stay up and block the viewfinder every now and then ... haiz (not complaining tho - it cud belly well be older than me!)... but yah!!! had fun playing around with it!!! was 'shooting' without film all around ... hahahah .... trigger-shoot-wind trigger-shoot-wind ... :bsmilie: hahahha ... gave me a good feel of using a REAL SLR (albeit a belly belly old one) ...

grandpa lasttime stylo siah :D u must follow his footsteps..also ensure yout son/daughter follow

wahh too bad my grandpa didnt own a old camera for me to play with, now can only admire sensires, i have a v3 also, must make sure my grandson gets to play with it :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

sensires said:

manual film winding... ummm it's really not that ancient. Nikon still makes them. Many photographers still use them.

you're right, the piece looks very nice and clean in the photgraphs. but you mentioned you had to pry open the film cover, ummm... does it open by lifting the film rewind lever (normal operation for a majority of film cameras), or was there another switch to activate a latch which opens the cover? (sometimes found at the base of film cover.) i've seen people force the film rewind lever thinking that this was the right way to open the back, then say it was jammed. next thing you know, they've got a screwdriver in hand forcing open the film back. :bigeyes:

the rest is typical of an camera kept in storage for some time, sticky mirror, sticky shutter leading to dodgy shutter speed, sticking aperture blades, rotten light seals, etc. if you want to use it, get it fully serviced.

as for your queries... f2.8, yes that's the maximum aperture of the lens. i.e. the biggest aperture the lens can achieve, and t-mount, that refers to the lens mount of the camera, not the flash.

i wouldn't mind having a look at the unit, never handled a Seagull before.

nice pics.

Hi all,

I think that what we are seeing here is a piece of photo history. If I am not mistaken, it should be a minolta MC or MD mount with a batteryless mechanical shutter.

Wonderful pics can be had with this equipment as all it needs is a CLA to be properly used. Weighs a ton but all of it good. Hope the back cover hasn't been damaged.

Regards :blah:

Status
Not open for further replies.