Grandma Oh Grandma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shutterooz

Sep 16, 2009
www.flickr.com
1.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like some advice on how to improve on the composition, exposure, and any other general comments on the above. Don't hold back on those constructive comments! ^.^

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I'm generally looking into improving my photo-taking skills.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was drizzling when the picture was shot, i noticed a strong emotional bonding between
them.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
To those who are lucky to still having their grandma closed and cared for them since young.

maybe if you framed it with grandma to the left might make it a more interesting picture? shows more of the pictures on the wall in the background and lets the photo breathe more in terms of a viewer's line of sight. IMHO. :)

i felt tht some cropping shld be done to take away the left part of the pic, it shld be able to bring out the subject more

1. Maybe you can take the shot from another angle? Move to the right so that you can capture some expression of the old lady and also avoid the background posters on the wall which I find to be distracting.

2. A question to ask yourself, why sepia and not B/W ?

I agree that cropping out the left part might make the picture better.

Would be nicer if you can capture a moment in which the grandma is interacting physically with the kid.

I'm no good at non full-colour pictures, so can't really comment about your use of colour.

In general, exposure seems fine, but I don't feel the strong emotional bonding in this picture.

maybe if you framed it with grandma to the left might make it a more interesting picture? shows more of the pictures on the wall in the background and lets the photo breathe more in terms of a viewer's line of sight. IMHO. :)

IC... thanks for your comment.

1. Maybe you can take the shot from another angle? Move to the right so that you can capture some expression of the old lady and also avoid the background posters on the wall which I find to be distracting.

2. A question to ask yourself, why sepia and not B/W ?

Yap try agree, will be better if can shot from another angle. The picture shot was spontaneous and i was block by a concrete wall and it was slippery, so there were bit restriction...

Sepia brings a touch of nostalgic to the picture.

Last edited:
nice idea, but that slashing diagonal in the background is just bad, bad, bad; why did you not position yourself parallel to the building edge to avoid this.. it would also have the added bonus of bringing the two figures closer together and emphasizing what you want to show - i.e. a bond.

your black and white conversion needs work; whatever you have done here results in the grandmother looking like a floating shirt with a head because of the jarring differences in contrast just on her entire body alone.

I like it.

I like the fact that you have the fountains on the left and boy seems to be talking about them. His direction of view is towards the fountains and you've caught that nicely. The grandmother seems to be listening to his comments. IMO, you have shot "forward" in time and not back, and that's a good thing.

If there is to be any change at all I guess you could try rotating the entire image a tad left, since it seems as if its not exactly level.

But overall.. Good!

I like it.

I like the fact that you have the fountains on the left and boy seems to be talking about them. His direction of view is towards the fountains and you've caught that nicely. The grandmother seems to be listening to his comments. IMO, you have shot "forward" in time and not back, and that's a good thing.

If there is to be any change at all I guess you could try rotating the entire image a tad left, since it seems as if its not exactly level.

But overall.. Good!

Hi Shahmatt, thanks! ;)

i like the content and your intention, and for a impromptu shot i think its excellent.

however, as night86mare said, the building in the background kinda spoils the overall feel. as much as i want to focus on the story you're telling, i can't help but notice the cut-across building :(

i would also keep the extra space on the left. likely due to the fact that if it was me, i would have even more space on the left. adds a hint of unique-ness to your work!

just my 2 cents! great work overall.

i like the content and your intention, and for a impromptu shot i think its excellent.

however, as night86mare said, the building in the background kinda spoils the overall feel. as much as i want to focus on the story you're telling, i can't help but notice the cut-across building :(

i would also keep the extra space on the left. likely due to the fact that if it was me, i would have even more space on the left. adds a hint of unique-ness to your work!

just my 2 cents! great work overall.

Thanks for C&C "SoonKueh".

It feels weird to say this, but the pic would have worked better for me without the grandma.

1.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like some advice on how to improve on the composition, exposure, and any other general comments on the above. Don't hold back on those constructive comments! ^.^

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I'm generally looking into improving my photo-taking skills.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was drizzling when the picture was shot, i noticed a strong emotional bonding between
them.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
To those who are lucky to still having their grandma closed and cared for them since young.

I also agree on cropping so that the grandma and the child become the centre of subject. but i really like the fact that it is a "backshot". I personally feel if it is a forward shot, the photo is just solely the photo of a grandma. But having a backshot, it brings about the feeling of familiarity and this grandma becomes more 'generic' whereby one can relate to their own experiences. and maybe u can take with low angle to show how "wei da" the grandma is.
Just my 2 cents worth of thought.

I also agree on cropping so that the grandma and the child become the centre of subject. but i really like the fact that it is a "backshot". I personally feel if it is a forward shot, the photo is just solely the photo of a grandma. But having a backshot, it brings about the feeling of familiarity and this grandma becomes more 'generic' whereby one can relate to their own experiences. and maybe u can take with low angle to show how "wei da" the grandma is.
Just my 2 cents worth of thought.

Thanks "darenlock" on your C&C.

Status
Not open for further replies.