Grand Opening Photo Competition

Windwillow

Nov 16, 2011
Calling all enthusiastic photographers! Thekchen Choling is organising a photography competition on our special day 20.11.2011(Sun). Capture the joyous moments of our Grand opening, enjoy tibetan cultural events like the Lama Dance and have a taste of our local culture. You stand to win the 1st prize of $2000!! Post your favourite photo taken that day on Facebook and tag Thekchen Choling Singapore.

Date: 20 Nov 2011 (Sun)
Venue: 2 Beatty Lane Singapore 209945
Time: 4pm onwards

Prizes:
1st Prize: S$2000
2nd Prize: S$1000
3rd Prize: S$500
3 consolation prizes: S$100

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

1. Capture the joyous moments of a great celebration ~ THE GRAND OPENING OF THEKCHEN CHOLING (SINGAPORE). A Tibetan Buddhist temple where you will be able to enjoy Tibetan cultural events like THE LAMA DANCE and also a taste of the local culture of Singapore

2. This competition is organized by Thekchen Choling (Singapore)

3. This competition is open to all Singapore residents.

4. Competition site is 2 Beatty Lane on 20th November 2011 from 4 pm to 10 pm

5. Amateur and professional photographers are welcome to participate.

6. Participants must submit original digital work.

7. Images submitted for the competition must be taken by the participant who possesses all the necessary rights related to the images.

8. Images of the event is the only acceptable participating entry

9. Each participant is allowed to submit 5 images

10. Each participant is allowed to win only 1 prize.
All entries must be submitted in 8R (20x25 cm) or S8R (20x30 cm) together with a CD/DVD (non-returnable) containing the digital file of the image with minimum 3000 pixels at the longer side and minimum JPEG compression. No mounting required.2/4
 
Submitting Entries
1. An official entry form (photocopy accepted) must be pasted at the back of every entry with the following details:
a. Full Name as per NRIC/Passport
b. NRIC/Passport Number
c. Address
d. Contactable Mobile/Telephone Number
e. Email Address
f. Title of Entry

2.Digital files submitted must be titled or written clearly on the CD/DVD as below:
a. Full Name as per NRIC/Passport
b. NRIC/Passport Number
c. Address
d. Contactable Mobile/Telephone Number
e. Email Address

3. All entries must be submitted to:
Thekchen Choling (Singapore)
2 Beatty Lane
Singapore 209945
Tel: 64663720
Attn: Administrator - TCCL Photographic Competition

4. All entries must be posted on Facebook and tag Thekchen Choling Singapore anytime from 20th Nov 2011 to 27th November 2011
5. Office Hours: Mon - Fri: 10am - 5pm
6. Closing date: 27 November 2011 – 5 pm.
7. The decision of the judges is final. No correspondence will be entertained.
8. The submission of entries signifies the entrant’s acceptance of the Rules and Regulations.
9. The organizers reserve the right to reproduce images for publication, on an Internet website and/or display in media without payment on any fees to the participants.
10. Image enhancements are allowed but there must not be any significant removal or addition of elements in the image that alters the reality. The properties of the image submitted
should not be altered
11. Entry/entries may be rejected when the judging committee, in its reasonable discretion, believes the entry does not conform to rules and regulations.
12. The organizers reserve the right to change or add the prizes and substitute with a comparable alternative.
13. Prizes are non-transferable
14. Prizes not collected within 1 month will be donated to charity organization.
15. Should the quality of entries fall below the required standard, the organizers reserve the right not to award prize/prizes.
16. Winners will be contacted by phone and email.

Image editing and enhancement guideline
1. Image enhancements are allowed but there must not be any significant removal or addition of elements in the image that alters the reality. The properties of the image submitted should not be altered, all metadata to be remained as their original.
2. The following enhancements are allowed:
3. Adjustments to color, saturation, contrast, brightness and sharpening.
a. Cropping of images.
b. Cloning must be limited to general cleaning work – significant addition or removal of elements in the composition is prohibited.
c. Dodging and burning.
d. Perspective adjustments for correction of lens distortion.

Copyright
The Participant

1. The participant must be the sole author and owner of copyright, intellectual property and all other proprietary rights for the image(s) submitted for the Competition.
2. Participants retain full copyright of all images submitted for the Competition.
3. It is the legal responsibility of the Participant, not the organizer or sponsors, to ensure compliance with all ownership and copyright requirements, and own the rights to reproduce the image(s).
4. Entries which do not fulfill the above criteria will be deemed ineligible and will be disqualified.
5. Images are submitted at the photographer’s own risk and the organizers regret they cannot accept any liability for the unauthorized duplication or use of images submitted.

Liability
1. **The organizers reserve the right to amend or modify the above Rules and Regulations of the
2. Competition as required, wherein adequate notification and announcement on the changes will be made known to the entrants via email, online or written notification.

The Organizer
1. The Organizers reserve the non-exclusive right and royalty to reproduce, display, distribute and show the
2. participant's submission for the following purposes:
a. Publicities in all media in print and online during and after the competition period.
b. Displaying on the Organizers website.
c. In all cases where such images are used, organizers reserve the right to do so without obtaining the further prior permission of the participants, and without offering any further compensation of any form. However, where any image is used, the photographer will be credited.
3. The Organizer reserves the right to edit or change the title if necessary.

Last edited:
It has been about a month, anyone submitted anything? There seems to be nothing at all coming from the organizer

no nice shots at all.

even a poorly composed shot with many other photographers inside is in 3rd place.

:bsmilie:

the future of photography competitions is at risk!

I guess they have their own agenda...and all were not tagged to the Temple FB as required it seemed....but they have the prerogative to decide.

..but interestingly, 2nd prize winner and 1st consolation winner shared the same camera and lens....a D300 with same serial number.............but submitted using different names...guess they were sharing the camera....

This was one of my submission, but guess they were looking for devotees kind of shots.
6374709323_e15dd9edb8_b.jpg

Last edited:
no nice shots at all.

even a poorly composed shot with many other photographers inside is in 3rd place.

:bsmilie:

the future of photography competitions is at risk!
What does success in photography competitions mean? In my opinion it just means that on a particular day, a panel of judges have chosen a select few images as being noteworthy.

Armchair Critics | Magic Hour Travelscapes Unplugged

fisheye lens will not be soft at the corner, fisheye adapter lens will.

I guess it might be an adapter after all but even the VIP, whom I assume is the intended subject is not in focus for the third prize. In fact, the whole picture seems to be blur

Last edited:
its a lucky draw. move on move on

the first place winner photo is very good and deservedly so (imho). What is the fuss... ?

In quite a lot of photo competition, it is not just artistic merit in a photo that determine a winner.... rather, how well a photo is able to bring across its story with the theme and what the judges is looking for. I have attended a talk by Liew TL organised by cs. I can somewhat remember him saying something like this or at least in meaning.... ask yourself if this is the photo the judges are looking for...... even though he has won a lot but those he don't, he move on....

Last edited:
the first place winner photo is very good and deservedly so (imho). What is fuss... ?

In quite a lot of photo competition, it is not just artistic merit in a photo that determine a winner.... rather, how well a photo is able to bring across its story with the theme and what the judges is looking for. I have attended a talk by Liew TL organised by cs. I can somewhat remember him saying something like this or at least in meaning.... ask yourself if this is the photo the judges are looking for...... even though he has won a lot but those he don't, he move on....

its the trend actually that i am talking about. nowadays i seen at least one or many fisheye shooters winning (not necessary the first - third prize). kinda too cliche dun you think so? and it is sending somehow wrong signals to participants that they can win by shooting with fisheye lenses.

anyway i dun really fancy fisheye shots personally but i do admire fisheye shoots that was used correctly.

Last edited:
its the trend actually that i am talking about. nowadays i seen at least one or many fisheye shooters winning (not necessary the first - third prize). kinda too cliche dun you think so? and it is sending somehow wrong signals to participants that they can win by shooting with fisheye lenses.

anyway i dun really fancy fisheye shots personally but i do admire fisheye shoots that was used correctly.

A lot (i really mean hell a lot) of people submit photos for competitions, and more often than not, 3 lucky ones of these end up winning. Seems to be a lens over creativity kinda competition..

A lot (i really mean hell a lot) of people submit photos for competitions, and more often than not, 3 lucky ones of these end up winning. Seems to be a lens over creativity kinda competition..
Have you seen the winner of this competition? You think that this is a winner because it is lucky and because of his lens as well?

2 things we can do here....;
1. get a fisheye lens and learn how to use it and submit shots to competition with fisheye lens. After all, if you submit a photo for the photo competition, you wanted to win right? give something the judges are looking for and wow them.
2. if you like to strongly adhere to your own vision of what is a good photo when submitting such photo, then you have to work even harder to wow them....

ps. if you haven't heard this before, in a recent open judging that I have attended, one of the judges (and agree by others as well) commented he is getting "tired" of seeing fisheye photos....

Last edited: