Gramophone Cd Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Dong Moon

May 3, 2004
Great World City, Singapore
gramophone CD sale at orchard MRT station .... just got my CD, soundtrack of THE VILLAGE feat Hillary Hann, and ALEXANDRE feat Vangelis. Damn good both CD ............. long time aim both CD liao ..... finally occupied my shelf. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kim Dong Moon said:
gramophone CD sale at orchard MRT station .... just got my CD, soundtrack of THE VILLAGE feat Hillary Hann, and ALEXANDRE feat Vangelis. Damn good both CD ............. long time aim both CD liao ..... finally occupied my shelf. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What kind of prices?

Kim Dong Moon said:

New ones or 2nd hand? Do they still sell 2nd CDs?

Kim Dong Moon said:
Range from $9.9/CD onwards, as long as this is not made in China one, i considered cheap liao lor .... but some clasiccal oso $10 for 3 CD hehe

Hey that's really good. I'll go have a look later. Thanks for the tip off.

Kim Dong Moon said:
New one .... dun think they sell 2nd hand one, 2nd must go cash converter

Hi they do :)

Gramophone always have good pricing and discounts.

sorry if this is OT,
but i hav a question that kept bothering me.. Those cheap mandarin CDs are selling for S$7 near my place in Hougang.. They look original, and i suppose they are from China?? I heard it's only S$2/3 if u buy in China.. How is it different from the normal ones we buy from HMV?

behyx said:
sorry if this is OT,
but i hav a question that kept bothering me.. Those cheap mandarin CDs are selling for S$7 near my place in Hougang.. They look original, and i suppose they are from China?? I heard it's only S$2/3 if u buy in China.. How is it different from the normal ones we buy from HMV?

i think the difference is that the cheaper version comes from china, the expensive ones are from hong kong or taiwan. But they are originals just that packaging is different.

cast123 said:
i think the difference is that the cheaper version comes from china, the expensive ones are from hong kong or taiwan. But they are originals just that packaging is different.

But is the quality of the CD is still the same?
if so, IMO, there's no use paying 2 or 3 times more to get the HK or taiwan version... :nono:

behyx said:
if so, IMO, there's no use paying 2 or 3 times more to get the HK or taiwan version... :nono:

not sure about the sound quality. But the packaging of the cover,lyrics etc does have differences.

behyx said:
sorry if this is OT,

The quality still loses to those u paid from CD shop like Sembawang and etc ..

First - U don get the free gifts tat comes with the original one. E.g poster or calendar .. .. I don mind cos usually I dumped them off

Second - The paper quality of the lyrics also loses out
I am fine with tat.

The worst it can ever happen is the song stated on the back of the CD cover is totally different from the CD itself. :sticktong
Cant believe it .. Therefore I decided not to buy those $7 PRC CDs.

Now I only buy CDs that is 24bit .. if not u should know wat i did .. :bsmilie:

behyx said:
sorry if this is OT,

Cheap CD around $7 like what you said it is true.... and if for normal songs, i found it is okay .... there are not so much different with the "expensive" one.
Expensive one may be produced by SONY, then cheap one produced by local company in China, they do their own recording. But for musical / instrumental CD, i always buy original CD because sounds quality is very critical issue.

i tink nowadays china-pressed CDs are no longer as inferior as what one imagined to be.

they may not have proprietary mastering techniques like XRCD, HDCD, 24-bit or direct stream digital (DSD), but their SQ is comparable to those audiophile CDs. take a look at one chinese CD publisher, PerfectMusic, one can also audition their CDs at gramophone or Adelphi's New Disc Village.

anyway, CDs are still 16-bit resolution. proprietary recording techniques like (sony's) super bitmapping convert the 24-bit digital bitstream in the master tape into 16-bit. one doesn't get the quality of 24-bit by just buying 24-bit remastered CDs...

just mi worthless 1-bit of opinion.... ;)
Kim Dong Moon said:
Cheap CD around $7 like what you said it is true.... and if for normal songs, i found it is okay .... there are not so much different with the "expensive" one.
Expensive one may be produced by SONY, then cheap one produced by local company in China, they do their own recording. But for musical / instrumental CD, i always buy original CD because sounds quality is very critical issue.

You have to check to see if those CDs are original artistes (oa) which actually means that the singers aren't actually the original singers. I'm not a chinese music fan, but for english CDs you can see some of the packaging will say that the singers are all oa. That's when you can stay away from them.

shojibake said:
You have to check to see if those CDs are original artistes (oa) which actually means that the singers aren't actually the original singers. I'm not a chinese music fan, but for english CDs you can see some of the packaging will say that the singers are all oa. That's when you can stay away from them.

I think these are actually what you'll get from buying pirated CDs in pasar malan. hehe..

to user12343, ya it's very true, no use paying more to buy XRCD or 24bit unless your CD player can decode it. otherwise it will just read 16bit..

Looks like at least for pop chinese CDs, it's wiser to buy the S$7 ones.. :)

behyx said:

I experimented with buying a few copies of the albums I like and did a comparison. My conclusion is that if you're lucky, some of them actually have better recording than the Malaysian, Taiwan, Hongkong copies. Sometimes they are similar in terms of reproduction. All my copies don't sound significantly inferior. However, those classical albums, sound quality sux big time. I'm not sure if it's the recording's fault (since I don't have an equivalent album for comparison) or whether its the printing's fault. But end of day, I decided to stay away from those China-classical for some time.

As for Mandarin pop, I find them pretty good value. The oldies Xu Xiao Feng set I got for my mum sounds extremely good, yet cheap. Made my mum very very happy. A Karen Mok album blows away with the sound quality. Another Stephenie's album comes with photos together with lyrics...

Only drawback is that not all titles got China ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.