Grammar Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
err..meaning? no wrong no right?

Meaning he doesn't know the answer and was trying to solicit more views as part of the research process to locating the right answer.

Cannot comment. Learning from the sharing!

For those who don't know, Adam is an English teacher. This is a trick question !!!!!!

Good. I like the sharing. I learn!

A good guideline for us locals would be to literally translate the sequence of words in the sentence to mandarin or hokkien.

If it makes good sense in hokkien or mandarin, then the English sentence construction is probably wrong.

'Correct or not?" :bsmilie:

Aiyo ... it wasn't meant to test you all lah; just want to get some views, particularly those that can be backed up by certain Grammar rules and conventions ...

For me, I never like to tell teachers or even kids that 'this statement is wrong because it sounds awkward'' ... if we keep doing that all the time, nobody is going to learn anything ...

Anyway, thanks again people; it's been a lively discussion! :)

Indeed! :bsmilie:

Language is such a wonderful thing.

I would think 1 of Set1 and 2 of Set 2 is correct. It just sounds right to me. : D

Aiyo ... it wasn't meant to test you all lah; just want to get some views, particularly those that can be backed up by certain Grammar rules and conventions ...

For me, I never like to tell teachers or even kids that 'this statement is wrong because it sounds awkward'' ... if we keep doing that all the time, nobody is going to learn anything ...

Anyway, thanks again people; it's been a lively discussion! :)

Guilty as charged...:embrass:
cher now can teach us the rulez and conventions not...;p
really want to know and learn...

A good guideline for us locals would be to literally translate the sequence of words in the sentence to mandarin or hokkien.

If it makes good sense in hokkien or mandarin, then the English sentence construction is probably wrong.

'Correct or not?" :bsmilie:
not really... depends on what you mean by wrong... wrong as in not Standard Singapore English or some form of standard English, possibly... but probably not if we are talking about Colloquial Singapore English... :)

let's look at the sets (didn't realize explanations required;p)

Set 1:

1. Peter runs with his dog every day.
2. Peter runs every day with his dog.

Set 2:

1. Who went with Peter to the library?
2. Who went to the library with Peter?

the default standard English clause structure exists in the form of SVOCA, where S=subject, V=verb, O=object, C=complement, A=adverbial... you can have multiple As as required in the sentence, and the position of the A is actually quite flexible, but that's a different story... but do note that not all components are necessary in a single clause, and in fact, the only requirement is the presence of a V... something like "Go" can be a perfectly formed clause...

coming back to the 2 sets, the structure may be seen as thus:

Set 1:

1. Peter runs with his dog every day.
......S.....V....<----A---> <---A--->
2. Peter runs every day with his dog.
......S.....V....<----A---> <---A--->

Set 2:

1. Who went with Peter to the library?
......S.....V....<---A---> <-----A---->
2. Who went to the library with Peter?
......S.....V....<----A----> <---A--->

as the last two elements in each of the sentences are both As, their order is not really vital in terms of grammaticality but important in terms of the meaning of the sentence...

my son says he is fainting from reading this....

If I may ride on this thread.

Which is correct: "Where do you live?" or "Where do you stay?"
What is the difference? :confused:

TIA.

Stay = being at a place for a short time
Live = being at a place for a long time

I stayed over at my friend's house last weekend but I live in Tampines. (My resident address is at Tampines, but I chose to spend last weekend over at my friend's house.)

Or at least that's what I think.

I stayed over at my friend's house last weekend but I live in Tampines. (My resident address is at Tampines, but I chose to spend last weekend over at my friend's house.)

Nice explanation. ALot of scholars in clubsnap!!:)

This is a very good book on english grammar. It basically deconstruct you think as proper and makes you all confused again! :bsmilie:

Explaining English Grammar (Oxford Handbooks for Language Teachers) (Paperback) George Yule

Thanks for clarifying, kodeiko. :)

Which is correct: "Where do you live?" or "Where do you stay?"
What is the difference? :confused:
actually its not quite so clear cut... even the Oxford English Dictionary accepts 'stay' as residing in a place either short term or long term... either choice shouldn't really be wrong... just alternatives :)

chinese language the best, no need to worry about vocab, grammar, noun..etc....

still people can funk chinese.........

Status
Not open for further replies.