Grammar Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi, not to worry, this is not meant to test you.

Which of these sentences are correct? 1, 2 or both? Would also appreciate some explanations too ..

Set 1:
  1. Peter runs with his dog every day.
  2. Peter runs every day with his dog.
Set 2:
  1. Who went with Peter to the library?
  2. Who went to the library with Peter?
TIA! :)

Last edited:
For both sets:

sentence 1 is correct, time/place always at the end

Set 1:
Set 2:
  1. Who went to the library with Peter?
TIA! :)[/QUOTE]

For both sets:

sentence 1 is correct, time/place always at the end

No such thing that time/place is always at the end! I know this for sure!
I know sentence 2 of set 2 is correct. Not 100% sure if sentence 1 is wrong or not but I think it is.

Oops... forgot to explain...

Set 1:
Peter runs with his dog every day - correct.
Peter runs every day with his dog - wrong... 'every day' should not be in the middle of a sentence. It is an awkward sentence construction when put in the middle. 'Every day' should either be in front or at the end. E.g.:
Every day, Peter runs with his dog - also correct.

Using another similar example to show how awkward it is when 'every day' is put in the middle:
I walk every day to school.

Set 2:
Who went with Peter to the library? - probably wrong but not 100% certain for this one.
Who went to the library with Peter? - correct.
You GO (root word of 'went') to a place (library) with a person (Peter)... this sentence follows this order, which makes more sense.
Just imagine, if I tell you I go. Your next question would be where? Not with who. So I should say I go to the library or I went to the library. "with Peter" is extra information, not essential information, so it should be put at the back.
Language should follow a logical sequence. While sentence 1 may not be wrong, sentence 2 is definitely a better sentence and should be chosen over sentence 1.
:)

No such thing that time/place is always at the end! I know this for sure!
I know sentence 2 of set 2 is correct. Not 100% sure if sentence 1 is wrong or not but I think it is.
Well, that's what my english teacher taught us (and she was born in England) about 22-23 years ago.......and it was something that has always stayed in my mind :)

Time can indeed be at the beginning of a sentence as you said

HS

Oops... forgot to explain...

Set 1:
Peter runs with his dog every day - correct.
Peter runs every day with his dog - wrong... 'every day' should not be in the middle of a sentence. It is an awkward sentence construction when put in the middle. 'Every day' should either be in front or at the end. E.g.:
Every day, Peter runs with his dog - also correct.

Using another similar example to show how awkward it is when 'every day' is put in the middle:
I walk every day to school.

Set 2:
Who went with Peter to the library? - probably wrong but not 100% certain for this one.
Who went to the library with Peter? - correct.
You GO (root word of 'went') to a place (library) with a person (Peter)... this sentence follows this order, which makes more sense.
Just imagine, if I tell you I go. Your next question would be where? Not with who. So I should say I go to the library or I went to the library. "with Peter" is extra information, not essential information, so it should be put at the back.
Language should follow a logical sequence. While sentence 1 may not be wrong, sentence 2 is definitely a better sentence and should be chosen over sentence 1.
:)
Hmmmmmm............now you got me thinking about sentence 2 of set 2....

HS

Well, that's what my english teacher taught us (and she was born in England) about 22-23 years ago.......and it was something that has always stayed in my mind :)

Time can indeed be at the beginning of a sentence as you said

HS

Hmm...22-23 years ago? To teach a rule so generalised and untrue 22-23 years ago, was she your primary school teacher?
What she taught was not right, unless she has specific caveats to it.
As you agreed, time can be at the beginning of a sentence too.

And... definitely not true that place must be at the end. Place is just a noun... it can be used as any other noun... you can put it anywhere in the sentence.
In front: The library is closed today. Libraries are good places for reading.
Middle: I went to the library to study today. I do not want to go to the library to study.
End: Is that the new library? Yes, that is the new library. How can I go to the library? I don't like the library.

Hmm...22-23 years ago? To teach a rule so generalised and untrue 22-23 years ago, was she your primary school teacher?
What she taught was not right, unless she has specific caveats to it.
As you agreed, time can be at the beginning of a sentence too.

And... definitely not true that place must be at the end. Place is just a noun... it can be used as any other noun... you can put it anywhere in the sentence.
In front: The library is closed today. Libraries are good places for reading.
Middle: I went to the library to study today. I do not want to go to the library to study.
End: Is that the new library? Yes, that is the new library. How can I go to the library? I don't like the library.
Secondary school, I now remember it was 'time at the last' if there is also a place mentioned in the same sentence........like:

Peter runs with his dog at school everyday........and not: Peter runs with his dog everyday at school

Who went with Peter to the library? - sounds like a direct translation from Mandarin ;p

Dei, this is Singapore!

HAIYAH!

Everyone knows is:

Peter ebridae run take dog!

Peter go libraly with who ah?

Last edited:
Dei, this is Singapore!
HAIYAH!
Everyone knows is:
Peter ebridae run take dog!
Peter go libraly with who ah?
Bestest...:thumbsup:

I think it should be 1 and 2 respectively. In English, if it doesn't sounds right or if it sounds funny, most prob it is incorrect...there are exceptions of course...:p

Set 1:
  2. Peter runs every day with his dog.
Set 2:
  1. Who went with Peter to the library?
  2. Who went to the library with Peter?
TIA! :)

Actually all four sentences are grammatically correct.
It depends on which word/term is placed higher in importance. True, the sentence 'peter runs every day with his dog' sounds strange, but it isn't grammatically wrong.
One occasion you might write it this way is if you wish to stress the time.
For example, "Peter goes for a run every morning at 630 with his dog".

For set 2, sentence 1 can be used as a clarification question. Say for example 3 friends are gossiping about Peter going to the library with a girl (secret date).

Person 1: hey, did you know that Peter went to the library with Gill?
Person 2: wow! I didn't know they were seeing each other!
Person 3: Who did you say? Who went with Peter to the library?

so in conclusion, all sentences are grammatically correct, just that some might sound a bit strange and hence are not frequently used.

Status
Not open for further replies.