Grammar Nazis!!

spawnx

Dec 11, 2008
While CS is an informal forum and not meant to be a display of impeccable English, sometimes one simply cannot resist spotting all the horrible mistakes being made!

Here are some examples of bad english:

1. 'loose' instead of 'lose' - if I convert to JPEG, will I loose the details?

2. 'len' and 'lense' instead of 'lens' and 'lenses' - hi I have a len for sale, can trade for your lense

Any others you guys noticed? :)

I noticed but it doesn't bother me. For many here, English might not be their native language and they are not proficient in it. As long as we can understand what they are trying to say, I think its fine.

"shuttle"

Ok lar. I talk, you understand, can lar!

micro or marco instead of macro..

HORSE SHOE.

WHERE TO GET HORSE SHOE COVER

WHAT SHUTTLE SPEED TO USE

who cares about bad English? it's not like singaporeans are proficient in English. most of the "high class" locals try to fake a British or American accent. laughable. :bsmilie:

spawnx said:
While CS is an informal forum and not meant to be a display of impeccable English, sometimes one simply cannot resist spotting all the horrible mistakes being made!

Here are some examples of bad english:

1. 'loose' instead of 'lose' - if I convert to JPEG, will I loose the details?

2. 'len' and 'lense' instead of 'lens' and 'lenses' - hi I have a len for sale, can trade for your lense

Any others you guys noticed? :)

Tsgss djdjeeo siekeba ejeiahave iejehdbw skdheb sisvsjsod rktkdhwhi ifjdjdo kfjwjajeisji jrkfjsjdofk kdjrieuqofjdj kwjdjdjak ksjdjxkdhdj jsjg yoyoa age yoybs e ykyua re ceapa d you sixksbsbsba suxkehrhsnsjsjsbfnhou a r s shsif the fjxcjsbs tjp. Ok?

who cares about bad English? it's not like singaporeans are proficient in English. most of the "high class" locals try to fake a British or American accent. laughable. :bsmilie:

Then why bother going to school in the first place to study if it's alright to not be proficient in the country's main business language. In the end, you are no better than an immigrant who does not think taking up the language is important and expect others to understand you.

At the end of the day, you will be mocked alongside those who cannot who don't know the difference between knowing their **** and they're ****. It's not acceptable.

Last edited:
dodgethis said:
Then why bother going to school in the first place to study if it's alright to not be proficient in the country's main business language. In the end, you are no better than an immigrant who does not think taking up the language is important and expect others to understand you.

At the end of the day, you will be mocked alongside those who cannot who don't know the difference between knowing their **** and they're ****. It's not acceptable.

Your write abaot dis. Lawl

I think Singaporeans in general are better at written English than spoken. We can spell well and seem to be able to use correct sentense structures when writing. But when we speak.... the structure goes out of the window. The "la" and "lor" are forgivable lar....

Often Singaporean spoken English uses Chinese sentense structure.
Example: 这是我的
But when we speak, it becomes, "This is my wan." Direct translation.

I think Singaporeans in general are better at written English than spoken. We can spell well and seem to be able to use correct sentense structures when writing. But when we speak.... the structure goes out of the window. The "la" and "lor" are forgivable lar....

Often Singaporean spoken English uses Chinese sentense structure.
Example: 这是我的
But when we speak, it becomes, "This is my wan." Direct translation.

That is usage of pidgin English, just like how certain people in Louisiana speak Creole French, something most native French speakers will not understand.

whoa whoa.... hold back on the strong language boss-man! i'd like to point out to you that many are starting to learn mandarin to do business in China as well. other than English, right now the trend is to pick up Chinese, Japanese and Korean as well.

it's not about conducting the business in English. knowing a second or third language can help you a lot as well in business relations.

and when you don't know one and because of that you're screwed over, then there's a HUGE difference between YOUR **** and YOU'RE SH!T :bsmilie: