Grainy slide pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner

Jan 24, 2002
Visit site
Hi all, any experts out there can explain this:

I've just collected my developed Provia 100F slides at RGB - Winsland House and discovered that the most of the slides looks a bit grainy. My work - NDP fireworks, etc... ! :cry:

No pushing was done and most of the pictures taken were on tripod using shutter release cable(this should minimise any vibration shake).

From my past experience, I've sent slides for development in other labs and the results were petty good, not much of grain issue. However, the results from RGB doesn't look good, can anyone explain what would be the possible casue? :dunno:

Thanks.

I have the same problem with RGB Beach Road on my Provia 400F. Exposure is okay, but quite a bit more grainy than I am used to for Provia 400F.

Maybe it has something to do with their processing, like increasing chemical concentration to speed up processing (so they can give back to you within 3 hours?)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Maybe it has something to do with their processing, like increasing chemical concentration to speed up processing (so they can give back to you within 3 hours?)
Regards
CK
pardon me, but is there any correlation between chemical concentration and film grain ?
I also got the same problem some time back: the same type of film developed in the same lab (but different time), came with different overall grain. At first I thought that it should be something to do with either the lab's processing or quality control at the film manufacturer.
But after some observation, I found that the fresh-film (with long expiration date) is less grainy than the one with shorter expiration date, altough they're from the same batch and stored in fridge. Seems as grain will grow over time in storage.
I still can't confirm whether this is true or not, since I can't be sure that the lab's process would be the same.
Does anybody out there ever observe this?

Originally posted by tsdh
But after some observation, I found that the fresh-film (with long expiration date) is less grainy than the one with shorter expiration date, altough they're from the same batch and stored in fridge.

With some observation? So if the film comes from the same batch, how come some have longer expiry dates, and others have shorter expiry dates?

Originally posted by Jed
With some observation? So if the film comes from the same batch, how come some have longer expiry dates, and others have shorter expiry dates?
I always purchase film in several packs of 5, and use it one by one. The rest were stored inside fridge. Some of them was stored for long period (more than 1 year, but not yet expired).
Because of that, I can got two films from the same pack (so the same batch) developed at different expiration time left on it.
Pls take note: I'm refering to the time left before it will be expired.

pardon me, but is there any correlation between chemical concentration and film grain ?
I also got the same problem some time back: the same type of film developed in the same lab (but different time), came with different overall grain. At first I thought that it should be something to do with either the lab's processing or quality control at the film manufacturer.
But after some observation, I found that the fresh-film (with long expiration date) is less grainy than the one with shorter expiration date, altough they're from the same batch and stored in fridge. Seems as grain will grow over time in storage.
I still can't confirm whether this is true or not, since I can't be sure that the lab's process would be the same.
Does anybody out there ever observe this?

If I didn't remember wrongly from my darkroom days, increasing concentration to decrease development time, or increasing temperature to do likewise results in increase in grain. But that's 15 years ago....

Regards
CK

Nope, right again my boy. Well done. Darkroom Basics 101.

If I didn't remember wrongly from my darkroom days, increasing concentration to decrease development time, or increasing temperature to do likewise results in increase in grain. But that's 15 years ago....
Regards
CK
In that case, how about decreasing the temperature with longer development time, will it reduce the grain to minimum?
well... in such case, I may think of processing my own film by myself instead of going to the lab.
..... or just go digital :D

In that case, how about decreasing the temperature with longer development time, will it reduce the grain to minimum?
well... in such case, I may think of processing my own film by myself instead of going to the lab.
..... or just go digital :D

Go digital. :devil:

Regards
CK

Regards
CK

just wondering...... does anyone had any problem from KJ colorlab then.... cos's they do provide "express one hour" services for your slide, normal they need one day.

so, had anyone tried their one hour services and notice the same issue?

Originally posted by Almond

just wondering...... does anyone had any problem from KJ colorlab then.... cos's they do provide "express one hour" services for your slide, normal they need one day.

Normally I will go for the 1 day service in KJ. The quality is consistent and relatively good. :thumbsup:

There goes my NDP fireworks shots.... :cry:
Never do I want to go back to RGB liao!!! :angry:

It is very complicated to explain how the
commercial labs do their processing especially
when they have to push and pull according
to the requirement of the customers.

However there are professional labs
that do a better job than others viz maintaining
the processing machine in tip top condition,
checking the chemcials, temperature and so on.

Often poor results such as increase in graininess
etc often come from inefficiency in any of the
above areas. Not to forget the employee or the
man behind the machine.

Few years ago I had the same experience with
increase in grain size and somewhat "dull" colour
that brought me to the point of processing all of
the remaining rolls of slides after a holiday - HOME
PROCESSING! The results are better, colours are
vibrant and fresh.

Just a note of sharing that there is a lab in Macpherson
Road that does a wonderful job in slides processsing.

Shot a couple of rolls using 120 film and one of them
was sent there for processing. The roll of film came
out with the best result.

The rest of the other labs
no where near its mark. Well, most likely some of
the pros out there know the whereabout of this long
established outlet. However the cost of processing for
a single roll is higher as compare to the other labs.
Maybe "you pay for what you get" applys in this case.
;)

Originally posted by Almond

I am told by a KJ customer who chooses to remain anonymous that his slides developed at KJ has got chemical stains....

Regards
CK

I am told by a KJ customer who chooses to remain anonymous that his slides developed at KJ has got chemical stains....

Regards
CK

Yup.... i encounter that too from KJ.... but only recently...
:gbounce: :gbounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.