Grainy outcomes for a Canon S50 camera at 2592px x 1994px...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iKwak

Sep 21, 2004
www.heavenonastick.com
I checked out the photos I've taken at the maximum setting (2592 x 1994 px) using a Canon S50 powershot.
The result= grainy picture. :(

I did use AUTO setting and it was indoor ice skating rink with great lights.
Where is the problem from?

1) AUTO Setting
2) Camera is not good at max setting (I've paid lot of money, please tell me this is not true :( )
3) Indoor lighting
4) Other (do you know?)

Thanks for your help. :)

You know what. I looked closely at the photo and noticed that the closer the subject was, the better the output was. I would think it has to do with light mainly as the subjects on the back was more grainy.

Let me know if I am wrong or right. Thanks.

iKwak said:
You know what. I looked closely at the photo and noticed that the closer the subject was, the better the output was. I would think it has to do with light mainly as the subjects on the back was more grainy.

Let me know if I am wrong or right. Thanks.

Hi iKwak

I have S50 so let me make some "intelligent" guess. The most likely scenario is that you have done the following:
- Using the digital zoom (up to 3X is optical zoom for the camera and beyond 3x is digital zoom).
- SInce you used Auto, the setting is likely to be a compromise, e.g. slower speed to compensate for low lighting esp if you are not using flash. Also, they might have chosen the higher ISO which resulted in more noise.
- Digital camera like S50 and many others are very good when taking close up pics as they have macro function which allows you to take with minimum distance of up to few cm. So the sharper pics for the close-up.

Just my 2 cts worth of guessing. Not sure it helps as i don't use the camera often enough except for occasional snaps as i use D70 for most serious shots. :)

iKwak said:
I checked out the photos I've taken at the maximum setting (2592 x 1994 px) using a Canon S50 powershot.
The result= grainy picture. :(

I did use AUTO setting and it was indoor ice skating rink with great lights.
Where is the problem from?

1) AUTO Setting
2) Camera is not good at max setting (I've paid lot of money, please tell me this is not true :( )
3) Indoor lighting
4) Other (do you know?)

Thanks for your help. :)

probably the auto mode has push the ISO to 200 or even 400
try to use P mode and leave the auto mode alone ...
set the ISO to 50 or 100

Personally I'm using the Canon G3 and I find that ISO settings at 200 and 400 produce too much noise and too grainy. The only acceptable ISO I'm using on the G3 now is 50, only occasionally at low light conditions would I use ISO 100. I believe the level of noise on the S50 at the corresponding ISO levels is similar.

In addition, try not to use full Auto mode in tricky lighting and exposure conditions such as an ice skating rink. Because the scene is predominantly white due to the ice, the camera's exposure metering system will often result in an underexposed photo. Moreever, in low light conditions, the camera may automatically select a slower shuttle speed, resulting in camera shake and blur photos when taking handheld.

Finally, since you have invested a significant sum of money into the camera, you may wish to read through the user manual to get a better understanding of the functions that you had paid good money for. Don't be afraid to venture away from auto modes. Experiment. Digital photos cost nothing. Happy shooting ;)

Thank you everyone for the informative posts and suggestions.

I'm sure the photo will come out great when I get the actual print at 4x6. I found a used tripod I can now practice on and will try the shots again at both the highest and lowest ISO setting and manual settings. I was using the AUTO mode for the last set and was in a very hurry. :/

How do you determine which manual setting to use in certain environments? (i.e. indoor icerink uses ____ setting, outdoor nighttime uses ___ setting)??

Using a tripod, indoor ice rink, group of friends all posing, do I put the S50 camera on

Code:
Custom - Save settings from any P, Tv, Av or M exposure mode for rapid recall. Also saves zoom position and focus distance if MF is used.

Manual - you set both the shutter speed and aperture. Exposure value is displayed when shutter is half-pressed.

Av (Aperture priority) - the camera automatically selects a shutter speed to match the aperture you set. Aperture settings available are:
Wide F2.8, F3.2, F3.5, F4.0, F4.5, F5.0, F5.6, F6.3, F7.1, F8.0
Telephoto F4.9, F5.6, F7.1, F8.0

Tv (Shutter priority) - camera automatically selects an aperture setting to match the shutter speed you set. Available shutter speeds are: 1/1500, 1/1250, 1/1000, 1/800, 1/640, 1/500, 1/400, 1/320, 1/250, 1/200, 1/160, 1/125, 1/100, 1/80, 1/60, 1/50, 1/40, 1/30, 1/25, 1/20, 1/15, 1/13, 1/10, 1/8, 1/6, 1/5, 1/4, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.8, 1, 1.3, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 13, 15 seconds. Noise reduction is enabled for shutter speeds of 1.3 seconds or longer.

Program AE - camera automatically set the shutter speed and aperture settings like AUTO but the user can change many options like white balance, exposure compensation, saturation, sharpness and more. You can "shift" the selected shutter/aperture combination, enter this mode by half-pressing shutter release and then press the AE lock button - now change by pressing the Right or Left button.

There are so many manual features and I should take the time to learn them.
ISO Speed
+/- Flash
and Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.