GRAIN is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

star69

Apr 14, 2004
After the last two staff left, GRAIN magazine is officially dead.

can i know where to attend the funeral? :cry:

Grain never really got going... though i must applaud and admit that its a brave move.

the contents got weaker and weaker and the crave to buy the latest copy got weaker too. not to mention from monthly issue it somehow become bi-monthly and maybe 'tri-monthly' up to the point of it being a quarterly issue! :sweat:

My sympathies go to the subscribers. They paid for 12 issues, and didn't get their money's worth. Thankfully, Woodpulp Media is still alive if you do a quick check in the government's registration. Subscribers can still claim back their money simply by going to Small Claims Tribunal. This is unfulfilled service provided by Woodpulp. The tribunal process is simple and free. I think they have 80 percent chance of getting back the money.

small claims?...pardon my bo-doh-ness, would there be some form of 'admin' or 'process' fees involved? wonder that be worthwhile the hassle of filing, appearences or ding-dongs?

talking abt the G-mag, initial launch looks quite spot-on, the sort cultures, modern arts and photograhy all comes into one melting pot something others photg mags (ahem!) still do not seem to capture that essence adptly..but as the Cheese-man put it, it deteers away too much from crucial mainstream and contents (suspect sponsorships!) starts dipping. in some later issues, most of the articles didnt seem to collate and gel that well into the topic of photog specifically, rather theres sidetrack into generalistic views and interpretation of contemporary arts in the related industries, ie film, art cultures, artistry etc..the whole pub starts to diverge from that pt (maybe last 3-4? issues back). lastly on the mention about the remaining staff members, do recall that a number later articles in later issues were more less scribed by same writers with more less the same inkset..think as far as in the recent last issue there was even an article on japanese mini-photostickers machines! :think:

well still, kudos to the Originator for sharing that groundbreaking concept, but too bad, either something fell off along the way of management...or simply the local market (both in terms the volume and maturity) is not ready for whatever hes trying to convey. just like Van Gogh

'quality paper' magazine but no uummph in the contents. just too bad it died.

I think Small Claims Tribunal charge 50$ - 100$ abt for admin.
In this case, think it is veri straight forward.
dont think it is necessary to go Small Claims Tribunal. juz write in
to the company and asked for refund for the un issused copies. if it is not fullfill within a certain set date line, juz report to CASE.

It is a good megazine with interesting contents. However, seems like there is not much to cover about photography in Singapore and hence, its demise?

for CASE you have to join CASE as a member as well. so there would be 'admin' fee included as well..

but i am VERY VERY sad that GRAIN is dead.. it was the exact magazine i was looking for.. after you learn all the technical details about taking photos its the stuff in grain that gets you really thinking about photos beyond snapshot or stock images..
sigh..

well... i liked the magazine alot.. but didnt by any issues. all i did was go borders and read them... and the magazine inspired some of BnW works for school...

The costs of filing a claim in the Small Claims Tribunal in this case would be S$10.00

Further, you may want to find out if they are in receivership/JM, bankrupt or in the process of winding up - those may complicate your claim. Don't even know if they have the assets to satisfy your claim.

You can just try for fun, after its only S$10. More costs will be involved in getting a writ of seizure and sale if the company doesn't pay up even if you have a judgment against them.

globalshooter said:
I think Small Claims Tribunal charge 50$ - 100$ abt for admin.
In this case, think it is veri straight forward.
dont think it is necessary to go Small Claims Tribunal. juz write in
to the company and asked for refund for the un issused copies. if it is not fullfill within a certain set date line, juz report to CASE.

EiRiK said:
not a very impressive mag
its just a matter of time

support local works la.... if the ppls who work in GRAIN will feel very depressing to see this words u said..

glennyong said:
well... i liked the magazine alot.. but didnt by any issues. all i did was go borders and read them... and the magazine inspired some of BnW works for school...

and you're saying something about supporting local works??? Come on!!! I think they'll feel even more depress reading about what you did.

Kit said:
and you're saying something about supporting local works??? Come on!!! I think they'll feel even more depress reading about what you did.

yeah.... i tot so too.. tats why 2molo i gotta go down to borders to grab a copy or two there....

coz i tot there will be future publications... but now its dead. well i think i better go grab 1-2 copies to keep my mind working..

how sad...I thought it was a really good mag for the local scene.
it's abit tough to get advertisers for a local mag specifically dedicated to photography though.

glennyong said:
support local works la.... if the ppls who work in GRAIN will feel very depressing to see this words u said..

dude, i was only stating my opinion, u hurt them more when u said earlier that u like it but didnt buy a single issue..... thats your way of supporting local work?

glennyong said:
yeah.... i tot so too.. tats why 2molo i gotta go down to borders to grab a copy or two there....

coz i tot there will be future publications... but now its dead. well i think i better go grab 1-2 copies to keep my mind working..

1-2 copies? too little too late for them, dont u think?

Status
Not open for further replies.