Graduation Ceremony..HELP PLS =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChongK

Nov 15, 2007
West Side
Hi guys,

this friday i have a graduation ceremony to attend to,and i got to take pictures as its my sis graduation.

i'm hoping that u guys have any tips or advices to share to make the photos better as i'm a newbie in DSLRs.

Btw i having a NIKON D60+kit lense and a AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED lense.

i do not wish to mess up the pictures,so i hope that u guys would coach me.

Thanks alot!:D

bring a camera u are familiar with. else, a point & shoot is your best friend.

seriously, a graduation ceremony, with your 55-200, probably u are thinking of shooting at the moment she grabs her cert and do the handshake from a distance... can forget it. its slow, and lighting definitely not strong enuff... besides that, it will hunt...

Best bet, bring a shorter lens. go right up to the stage before she is presented with the cert, snap the shots you want, move back to your seat.

Your 2 best friend in this ceremony...

1) ISO
2) Flash

if you need a 3rd best friend... get a friend who can shoot to go along.

depending on your location, i'd use the 55-200 with vr turned on
open up the aperture as big as you dare (DOF)
step up the ISO as much as you dare (noise)
set the shutter speed to 1/60 and shoot with flash

if the ceiling is not too high use bounce flash technique
go early and try first before before the event starts.

good luck and have fun.
if all else fails, use a P&S and blame the camera

depending on your location, i'd use the 55-200 with vr turned on
open up the aperture as big as you dare (DOF)
step up the ISO as much as you dare (noise)
set the shutter speed to 1/60 and shoot with flash

if the ceiling is not too high use bounce flash technique
go early and try first before before the event starts.

good luck and have fun.
if all else fails, use a P&S and blame the camera

haha, posted at the same time... ^5

Hi guys,

this friday i have a graduation ceremony to attend to,and i got to take pictures as its my sis graduation.

i'm hoping that u guys have any tips or advices to share to make the photos better as i'm a newbie in DSLRs.

Btw i having a NIKON D60+kit lense and a AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED lense.

i do not wish to mess up the pictures,so i hope that u guys would coach me.

Thanks alot!:D
if its nus, forget about going up to the stage, or even mounting a tripod all the way at the back to snipe.

haha thanks all for the infomation! :D

but i dont think flash photography is allowed,or even photography is allowed.as the real pro photographers will have no job to do.haha

will heed they advices u guys give.

thanks!:thumbsup:

If you are referring to taking photos while she receives the cert from stage, I suggest you check if there is an official photographer assigned for that. Your sis can purchase that photo after that.

how about later when its after the ceremony, taking group photos, wad is a good focal length and apature?

i agree with the recommendation of 17-55, rent it then. If you have not used a flash before, be aware its a risk to try it for the first time on the actual day. One more point, shoot RAW.

Izzit for polytechnic? Its actually priced quite affordably for poly graduation so i think just pay and u noe enjoy the graduation ceremony. But please NVR stand beside the official photog or even stand in the aisle taking the photo as u may hinder his job as the other graduants may mistake u for the official one and look at ur camera, not his. Also some people try to shove with the official photogs and get shoved down into the floor(i did it to one guy once as he was making me lose stability).

Agreed.

Just enjoy the ceremony =)

Let the pros settle the presentation side.

But of coz, if you wanna snipe, nobody is stopping you =P

Next, for the friends gathering and group photos, do take note of your metering.

Meter the face using spot metering as the Matrix metering might overexpose your photos.

Zoom in, focus on face, then press the AE/AL lock button. Then zoom out and take the photo.

Cheers and have fun =)

p.s Buy an external flash! It's important

Status
Not open for further replies.