Graduates pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancemania

Oct 1, 2006
central
ST keeps saying that fresh graduates these days get paid $2,900. Is this true? What are graduates been paid if they have been in the workforce for say 5 years and above? Please state your industry, pay and which univ you come from - local or foreign, biz or others. Thanks

That's what straits times says.

The last I heard Singapore technologies is paying 2.6 ~ 2.7K for fresh grads.

$2.9k is clearly on the upper quartiles of the distribution.. its certainly isn't the mean.

How about the banking line for non- biz grad? What are the banks/financial institutions paying?:)

2.8-3k is very good already. I know many long-time teachers still earning <2200

did they include all allowance, OT, etc etc.. or just basic salary..

I think $2900 is about market rate for NTU / NUS Engineering grad with good honours.

I know a few of my friends got 2.9-3.2K from various industries.

I think min 2.9K is pretty normal for fresh local grads. at least people around me are asking for this range. they rather wait than take up lower than this range.

I know someone got around 5K, 5 years in IT, local comp science degree. another guy in banking, 2.7K, 2 years, distant learning degree.

2.8-3k is very good already. I know many long-time teachers still earning <2200

my fren fresh grad got 2.7K in 2000 when he first graduated. so, now nearly 8 years later, the starting pay only increase by a bit to 2.8K to 3K? :eek:

If you are talking about government ministries, males with NS can secure 2.8K to 3.2K at least...

Even with a mere 3% inflation per year, today's 2900/month salary is equal to 2654/month 3 years ago... and this year it's whopping 6.7% inflation so it's be worth even less compared to the past. The younger workforce should really get paid a higher starting salary than those who started work years earlier to maintain the same standard of living. My sis is getting 2500 and I do remember that's about the starting pay of engineers in her field almost 7 years ago when I first started work.

Even with a mere 3% inflation per year, today's 2900/month salary is equal to 2654/month 3 years ago... and this year it's whopping 6.7% inflation so it's be worth even less compared to the past. The younger workforce should really get paid a higher starting salary than those who started work years earlier to maintain the same standard of living. My sis is getting 2500 and I do remember that's about the starting pay of engineers in her field almost 7 years ago when I first started work.

companies are also hit by inflation right? maybe that's why so reluntant to increase starting pay?

companies are also hit by inflation right? maybe that's why so reluntant to increase starting pay?

So that's just 'passing the buck' to us clueless freshies?

...or we could also argue that our predecessors were actually overpaid...

depends on industry. Its true that Semicon engrs r getting 3k n above BUT they have shift work. Easy for freshie to hit 3.5k in first yr. Dunno about others like banking etc. Finance sector major labour shortfall.. folks should be paid well there.

Dun compare ST group, usually lower than the private sector

from what ive been hearing from my friends, ntu engin grad having a hard time getting a job at 2.7k.

Depends on which field of engineering too... if you are in civil engineering, the pay now is pretty good. Whole industry has a shortage of civil engineers.

my field, electrical engineering 6-7 years ago, fresh grad is around $2.8k. dunno about current job market though.

Status
Not open for further replies.