Graduated ND Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freefall7

Apr 18, 2004
Hi...

Read someone posted to ask about ND filters recently.

As for myself, would be very grateful if someone can tell
me where I can get a graduated ND filter for my 17-40 lens.
It is for landscape photography.

I have asked John 3:16 and Cathay Photo before...but no more
stock.

Can any helpful guy out there let me know where to get any of these
graduated ND filter....at what kind of price that I should be paying for it.

Thanks...

jimtong said:
How about the cokin? You can get it from CP.

But I had tried CP at Peninsular Plaza and also Marina Square too.

Perhaps..they are not so interested to sell as the profit margin is not high.

freefall7 said:

i bought mine(Gradual Neutral Grey G1) from Cathay.
Cathay stocks the most quantity of Cokin filters in Singapore, i believe. however, it took me some months to lay my hands on one set of the ND and Gradual Neutral Grey filters.

freefall7 said:

Try MS Color in AMK.

Thanks guys...

Guess me have to constantly check with CP every now and then.

CP does have a lot of cokin filters. But usually the price is 50% off listed price. Got to ask for it.

nightwolf75 said:
when did u get it? i asked on fri, no more... :bheart:
I asked too weeks ago and they said that the stock wont come so soon. :cry: I am a COKIN FAN!

Why don't someone suggest a mass order?

I got my Cokin ND Grads from CP. As some of the guys mentioned, it does take some time cos they're usually out of stock :(

Or can try BH or Adorama from US for Tiffen or B&Ws.

agape01 said:
But the ultimate of all ND filters would be the Lee filters...

Cokin seem to a more popular slot-in type filter brand (cheaper??), but I've also heard there are much better slot-in filter brands out there. One of them I've heard was Lee. But my question is this: How much more does Lee cost over Cokin and where can I find this brand? Is it worth getting Lee over Cokin, considering that I'm just shooting as a hobby?

Been asking about Cokin grad ND with CP, but always no luck--no stock :(

kelccm said:
Cokin seem to a more popular slot-in type filter brand (cheaper??), but I've also heard there are much better slot-in filter brands out there. One of them I've heard was Lee. But my question is this: How much more does Lee cost over Cokin and where can I find this brand? Is it worth getting Lee over Cokin, considering that I'm just shooting as a hobby?

Been asking about Cokin grad ND with CP, but always no luck--no stock :(

no la, not worth getting Lee filters if u're a hobbyist or a serious hobbyist.
the price gap is a cool S$100+.

i'm very happy with my Cokin filters. they are more affordable and to me, does the job well. :)

if you're picky about colour rendition, the cokins will let you down. i have never seen a cokin ND or GND that doesnt add a colour cast to the picture. of coz..this may be used to your advantage if you know how to.

bottom line, if you want accurate colour, you have to pay for it. singh ray is just about the most neutral. lee/hitech are good as well but you might get shifts in one colour if you get a bad copy (apparently poor quality control). if you arent fussy, cokins will work fine.

I read this article somewhere, the author suggested that you take 2 shots with different exposure settings and PS them later, assuming you are on digital of course. Though haven't got the chance to try this technique myself yet, it des make me thinking whether it is worth paying so much for the Lees or Singh-Rays.

BTW, Iwas asking MS last week about Cokin, they seem to have some stock there. You might wnat to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.