graduated filter question.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my knowledge... i thought Cokin was the only ones who made filters that gradually change from one colour to clear ....

eg taking a sunset shot... where you want the top half to allow perhaps 2 stops of light less to enter the lens.

but somehow i found these on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3842833812&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3842833849&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

SOOOooo..... it seems that other filter companies do that too....

so did i hear wrongll and was misinformed that only cokin do such stuff?

drop your input here
thanks

You obviously was misinformed!

Some of the best filters are made by companies like Singh-Ray, and Lee. Cokin is only one of the players. There are others.

Because they are expensive, especially Singh-Ray!

haagen_dazs said:
funnny....when i read reviews of filters.. they dont mentioned anything about
Singh-Ray, and Lee......

any reason why?

Student is right! There are many filter-makers not only Cokin.
Cokin is well know in Singapore because of a few reasons. First, Cathay Photo is the main distributor in Singapore and they promote the brand well. Second, Cokin is cheaper becoz it is meant for the main-steam markets while brand like Lee is much more expensive.

haagen_dazs said:
does singapore sell BW filters?

Yes! Cathay sells them.

BUT, with reference to the graduated neutral density filters you mentioned, BW (Schneider) are not the most practical ones.

These GND filters comes in two forms - a screwed in filter and a square/rectangular filter which fits in a special hood with slots for these square/rectangular filters. As far as I am aware, BW only has circular ones.

In the circular ones the dividing line between the darker and unfiltered area is fixed, usually at the centre. So if you want to darken the sky, it may not be where you want the division to be. It is better to use the square/rectangular ones. Cokin has this latter ones, and so does Lee. Cathay sells both Cokin and Lee.

student said:
Yes! Cathay sells them.

BUT, with reference to the graduated neutral density filters you mentioned, BW (Schneider) are not the most practical ones.

These GND filters comes in two forms - a screwed in filter and a square/rectangular filter which fits in a special hood with slots for these square/rectangular filters. As far as I am aware, BW only has circular ones.

In the circular ones the dividing line between the darker and unfiltered area is fixed, usually at the centre. So if you want to darken the sky, it may not be where you want the division to be. It is better to use the square/rectangular ones. Cokin has this latter ones, and so does Lee. Cathay sells both Cokin and Lee.

nice you hit the nail on the head.
thanks for the advice... really answered some of the questions i had

Sorry to pop up this old post... but I this seems like the most recent thread on cokin filters from my search...

I have lens with 67mm and 77mm filter size, and i'm thinking of purchasing a cokin filter system and start of with ND4 and GND filters.

What are the separate items that I do need? Such as adaptors, holders, etc. And anyone has a rough estimates of these prices?

Thank You.

spurssy said:
Sorry to pop up this old post... but I this seems like the most recent thread on cokin filters from my search...

I have lens with 67mm and 77mm filter size, and i'm thinking of purchasing a cokin filter system and start of with ND4 and GND filters.

What are the separate items that I do need? Such as adaptors, holders, etc. And anyone has a rough estimates of these prices?

Thank You.

it dependz on how many adaptors u r getting. generally u oni need 1 filter holder. i saw CP selling Cokin starter kit many mths ago, dunno now still hav or not.:dunno: wanted 2 get but $$ is steep for plastic/gel filters like Cokin. then again Lee & Singh-Ray will blow most beginners' budget!!:devil:

actually just buy the filter then hold with ur hands. dun really need the filter holder.

Read some where before that Cokin filters comes in 2 sizes. Not too sure what are the sizes.

You can get the adapter holder for 77mm and then a step up ring from 67 to 77.

thankx, i'll go down to cathay one of these days to check these out...

haagen_dazs said:
To my knowledge... i thought Cokin was the only ones who made filters that gradually change from one colour to clear ....

eg taking a sunset shot... where you want the top half to allow perhaps 2 stops of light less to enter the lens.

but somehow i found these on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3842833812&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3842833849&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

SOOOooo..... it seems that other filter companies do that too....

so did i hear wrongll and was misinformed that only cokin do such stuff?

drop your input here
thanks

Yes the Filter you wanted is called ND filer (or Neutral Density) for 2 stop under, you should use a ND 4. Try cokins for gradual filters.

Well I went to cathay and was quoted $43 for 2 rings and a holder. However, due to the lack of stock for GND filter, I end up buying nothing.

Guess I'd have to wait for the shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.