Gradient ND filter with lowest cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
I only need one for my 17-40mm, so what is the lowest cost solution? :confused:
TIA

Low cost GNDs are prone to having colour cast, ie, not neutral colour.

Thank you catchlight and yyD80S.

What is the cost of a Cokin holder and one piece of ND filter (shooting blue sky)?

Do I need some kind of graduated filter when shooting airplanes at noon? I think the
top half and bottom half will have large difference in lightening.

dRebelXT said:

What is the cost of a Cokin holder and one piece of ND filter (shooting blue sky)?

Do I need some kind of graduated filter when shooting airplanes at noon? I think the

Sorry but I don't know the prices but I don't think you need a GND to shoot airplanes assuming you are pointing at the sky, ie, filling the whole frame with the airplane as foreground and the sky as a background. On the contrary, you may need an ND filter.

Unless, you meant during takeoffs and landings where your background would include part sky, part others.

Usually, in our climate, a 3-stop ND or GND is ideal.

dRebelXT said:

graduated filter is not a magic filter, beware that you will underexpose the airplane if compose the airplane into the top half.

Btw, you should take metering WITHOUT the filter.

Well, in the case of landed airplanes like 747, 380, etc. How do I make sure the upper portion
and lower portion are equally exposed? I will be going to the show at Changi in late morning,
expecting quite bright & vertical sunshines.

dRebelXT said:
Well, in the case of landed airplanes like 747, 380, etc. How do I make sure the upper portion
and lower portion are equally exposed? I will be going to the show at Changi in late morning,
expecting quite bright & vertical sunshines.

OK. I can concur now that you it's the GND that you need.

As in any GND, you meter the brightest portion of the subject; in this case, the sky. And you do the same for the foreground; the airplanes, I suppose. If the difference is huge and is greater than what your DSLR can handle, you need to balance it with the appropriate GND.

You can do a search for Singh-Ray or Lee Filters on Google and read on further.

Status
Not open for further replies.