Grace Under Pressure

Wurdelak

Apr 7, 2009
westcoast
www.flickr.com
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
i want to know how the viewers feel about the overall mood that the composition gives, does the title fits the picture,and which areas need improvement.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
i hope to create a portrait composition that conveys a sense of connection to the viewers.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
emotions

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
what i see in the expression of the model in this particular picture is like, when a woman is on the verge of making love but is still undecided... kinda like, "should i stay or should i go?". it's like she's under pressure, but seems to be handling it calmly.

Grace Under Pressure

4457935634_a3ac7b36d2_b.jpg

My first impression(w/o reading ur write) was tt she looked seductive(kinda "I know you want me" kinda look)...However, after reading your write up and considering her fallen bra strap+the way she looked with her eyes...I do feel what you are trying to depict...I'm thinking would a little frown adds more to the "pressure"...?(nt too much, juz a tiny winy..)

My first impression(w/o reading ur write) was tt she looked seductive(kinda "I know you want me" kinda look)...However, after reading your write up and considering her fallen bra strap+the way she looked with her eyes...I do feel what you are trying to depict...I'm thinking would a little frown adds more to the "pressure"...?(nt too much, juz a tiny winy..)

ei bro, thanks for the critique!:thumbsup:

nice soft focus! adds to the dreamy/mysterious look.
only complaint is the part where the floor meets the wall(there's a wooden panel). looks distracting

did u use a filter/PP?

Last edited:
nice but even with your write up, I still cannot connect with the title

nice soft focus! adds to the dreamy/mysterious look.
only complaint is the part where the floor meets the wall(there's a wooden panel). looks distracting

did u use a filter/PP?

hi bro, i used PP tools on this... i was thinking of cloning that wood panel but decided to leave it there as i am not that good in cloning, it might result in a negative way... thanks for the critique!:)

This is the worst shot i have seen this month so far.

The title does'nt fit the picture, the picture does'nt give any sort of 'connection', and i cant get what you are trying to say.

Trying to comprehend this picture is like learning latin in 60 seconds for me. Sorry

This is the worst shot i have seen this month so far.

The title does'nt fit the picture, the picture does'nt give any sort of 'connection', and i cant get what you are trying to say.

Trying to comprehend this picture is like learning latin in 60 seconds for me. Sorry

thanks you for the critique... will try to improve next time!:)

hmm. i dun feel tat pressure part if tats wad the guy abv me is saying. perhaps u shld like make it feel forced. pressure could mean many things. and since ur excerpt was her indecisiveness, u must add the factor of wad made her indecisivie.

for nwo i just see someone who looks pretty and seductive and dreamy. and pressure dun give u dreams. but nightmares. my 2 cents.
technicality it would be great. but content wise its a fail. jiayous next time:)

i see a girl who's waiting for the guy to take the initiative to make something happen.. :dunno:

:think: so how about "next move is up to you" as a title? would it fit more than "grace under pressure"?

thanks for the critique, keep it coming!:)

Her facial expression does gives the feel that she is under some kind of pressure..

maybe if the body is turned more to the camera, the feeling is stronger.

Maybe she is pressured into doing what she is doing..

but with her head turned to her side and the back facing the camera, it give a little bit of seductive feel and the mood a bit more detached from the title.

i think the title is a bit misleading, coz ur idea of 'under pressure' isnt wat everyone thinks of when they see the phrase.. its a good photo though, and it does convey the meaning ur writeup talks about.. but maybe the title has to be changed :) i like the composition - i like the photo as a whole, actually

Her facial expression does gives the feel that she is under some kind of pressure..

maybe if the body is turned more to the camera, the feeling is stronger.

Maybe she is pressured into doing what she is doing..

but with her head turned to her side and the back facing the camera, it give a little bit of seductive feel and the mood a bit more detached from the title.

reminds me. make it a very closed eyes like she dun wanna see wad happens next kind of thing. reminded me of myself getting my first xray. was babbling like an idiot and i didnt even open eyes.

subtle movements like clenched fists, tightly shut eyes tells more than her touching her body. no offencee to model as i know this kind of shots not easy to do.

I think the lips mislead us lol...the half-open mouth plus her touching her body makes her seem more seductive than undecided.

*waiting to get flamed for critiquing with my noob post count*

actually I think the photo is quite well done, but the look and pose is certainly more seductive than anything else.
The picture and the title are not in agreement.

I think the lips mislead us lol...the half-open mouth plus her touching her body makes her seem more seductive than undecided.

*waiting to get flamed for critiquing with my noob post count*

nah relax. post counts dun matter. my post literally jumped when i started this retarded thread hahaha. 8 pages long. tats like 200 posts from me there. apart from that u dun have to be a good spammer to be a critic.

On its own, this is a really great shot. Sexy, seductive and at the same time, calm. When comparing the scene to the idea you had, I'm not sure I'm getting the "under pressure" feel. The body language of the lady just doesn't manifest it, even the expression on her face. She's oozing too much confidence and sexiness, especially the way her back is arched forward and how she admirably looks at her skin/figure. For me the write up is a mismatch for the photo, BUT this is a great photo none-the-less.

You could try another shot, same position as this one, but this time, have her look at the camera directly, making her think that the lover is the lens, and that she's a bit shy. The feeling of shyness of going naked in front of another person for the first time or having someone see the whole of you, feeling of being exposed. The way I imagine the pose -- her arm trying to cover up her front but not forcibly or tightly, her back arched in/back a bit trying to hide her body/chest, but with serene and shy eyes looking at you like she was saying "please take care of me".

Last edited: