GPS in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

davee78

Mar 23, 2008
Hi, can I check if anyone had used GPS in japan?? Which is the best way to do so? get a smartphone? and download maps from where huh?:embrass: Sorry for asking, I not tech savvy...

I have used Garmin etrex in Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo. I am only aware of map sharing sites for fellow Garmin users, don't know about other GPS brands.

Are you intending to drive in Japan? If so, most have GPS ready in the car for drivers. Some provide English speaking GPS unit.

nope not driving...dun intend to bring a lot of maps with me, so thought use GPS to explore :)

Garmin?, can't use it on mobile phone rite?.. so I have to get a handheld garmin GPS receiver?:embrass:

Garmin is a GPS brand. Don't think you can use Garmin maps on your mobile phone GPS, unless compatibility is specifically stated

ok, so I have to get a Garmin GPS receiver afterall....:(

can try tomtom, mapquest, mapking, navquest

i'm using tomtom on my mobile phone now, works great. just need to buy an external bluetooth gps receiver, install the software and maps, and it's done. not sure if they have maps for tokyo, though

hmm are there detailed gps maps for japan? isit better to buy garmin?

I have used Garmin etrex in Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo. I am only aware of map sharing sites for fellow Garmin users, don't know about other GPS brands.

May I know how is the performance of Garmin etrex? Is it reliable?

Depends on your expectation, if you talk about reliability so far it hasn't failed on me yet. If you talk about accurate indication of bearings, I am happy with it bearing in mind it is a commercial GPS unit and some tolerance is expected.

Are these maps for Garmin for kyoto, tokyo in English?

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.