got scolded when doing street shot?

Got scolded during street shot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just got some scolding from a old uncle in chinatown when he is trying to shot him..
Wondering if any of clubsnappers got scolded in this kind of scenario before when you are doing street shots.
If yes, how did you get out of the situation?

apologise, move on with your life.

or apologise, move on, switch to telelens and shoot him from distance. =-P

my friend got shouted at by an old man at the esplanade haha. Best way is to apologize and move on i guess.

i have been heckled in london before, i just ignore.

recently some guy i shot tried to slap me, i just grabbed his hand and walked off.

no need to risk confrontation, walking off while keeping an eye on the fella is the best thing to do.

Apologise and walk away lor.. Anyway most of the time I will ask for permission before snapping.

Walk away while keeping an eye on your personal safety. No confrontation.

I got splashed with a bucket of water while photographing a hawker in Singapore's Chinatown a few years ago. Heng ah.... it didn't kenna my camera BUT my shirt and pants were all wet from the back. :embrass:

I am uncomfortable with strangers taking my pics on the streets. But I would usually oblige if they asked for my permission.

That's why tele is useful. What I do is to pan my camera, shot the subject and continue panning.

Use a wide angle. Most of the time they don't know they're in frame. ;)

how about shooting the children playing arround ? the parent will angry or smiling ? so far my experience is the parent just smiling, so heng ...

I suggest to use telephoto or spy lens loh... but things that human got six sense, I got the experience that i shooting using tele from far far away, but dunno why the ladies look at me at angry face leh... things that six sense seems working. :bsmilie:

i do agree that using a tele lens is kinda boring in terms of composition and perspective, its just not my cup of tea. Wide angle is still the way to go.

In terms of shooting children. I once asked a group of caucasian parents having a picnic at the botanical gardens if it was possible to photograph their children who were playing on the fields not far away. They agreed. After i took some shots they came up and asked all sorts of questions like what are the pictures for or if i was gonna just keep it to myself and my own personal use and stuff like that. They were polite, but very obviously suspicious and uncomfortable.

Since then i seldom try photographing children that are strangers to me cause it would be very uncomfortable for for the parents i guess, even if i DID ask them.

finally. At the end of the day, with whatever type of street photogrpahy you are shooting, NO CONFRONTATION!! You dont wanna be part of an offence if something happens.

On a DSLR i snipe (why waste the advantage of a dslr?) ,

On the rangefinder i estimate distance, close up the aperture (when in the day), and raise to my face only to frame and shoot. If the situation doesn't seem right for eye level focusing, i'll practise waist level shooting :sweatsm:

On my Pentacon Six, i get the best results with the waist level finder. They sometimes look to my camera, but probably not because i'm taking a picture of them, but more of a "wow nice ancient camera". Although Singapore's streetlife can get abit boring (excuses? :bsmilie:) so i seldom take this baby out for a spin here. Do bring it overseas though. The slides are stunning for landscape and i get to do pretty decent street shooting on it.

So far no unpleasant experiences, but perhaps that's just my luck.

I have only had a pleasant experience, one where a beautiful girl was used as the point of focus in the photograph, and she came over to ask me about the interesting looking camera (Pentacon Six). Sat down for a few mins to twiddle with the camera and she passed me her number asking for the photograph with her in it and to also look at some of the pictures it produced xD

+1 for film photography.

Last edited:
I got splashed with a bucket of water while photographing a hawker in Singapore's Chinatown a few years ago. Heng ah.... it didn't kenna my camera BUT my shirt and pants were all wet from the back. :embrass:

wah xiong!

That's why tele is useful. What I do is to pan my camera, shot the subject and continue panning.

so wayang one ah..

next time will watch out for you :bsmilie:

my experience is that i once shot this guy's back. somehow he spontaneously turned around and spotted me but i slipped away.

but sway sway, later i met him again in the same area and confronted me. i told him that i only took his back and he gave me a whole load of how people have recognized him from his back before. i'm sure his family and friends might probably be able to recognize his back, but not strangers lor.

i think he was just afraid that i would 'stomp' him :bsmilie: but i not so wuliao lor.

how about shooting the children playing arround ? the parent will angry or smiling ? so far my experience is the parent just smiling, so heng ...

Unless your name is Michael Jackson......:bsmilie:
I suggest to use telephoto or spy lens loh... but things that human got six sense, I got the experience that i shooting using tele from far far away, but dunno why the ladies look at me at angry face leh... things that six sense seems working. :bsmilie:

No lah....it just happened that they did not put on any make-up that day! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.