got scolded when doing street shot?

Got scolded during street shot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just got some scolding from a old uncle in chinatown when he is trying to shot him..
Wondering if any of clubsnappers got scolded in this kind of scenario before when you are doing street shots.
If yes, how did you get out of the situation?

Hmm, so far not yet for me. Maybe i look too big for them to think twice before they wanna f me. Hahaha.

On my mp3 anyway, so i cannot hear if they scold me from behind. i snap, i go.

Anyway, if confronted, just show them the LCD, delete the shot and walk off without cursing and swearing. If they don't like it, you won't want the shot as well. :)

but telephoto perspective is so boring sometimes

i do agree that using a tele lens is kinda boring in terms of composition and perspective, its just not my cup of tea. Wide angle is still the way to go.

Since then i seldom try photographing children that are strangers to me cause it would be very uncomfortable for for the parents i guess, even if i DID ask them.

finally. At the end of the day, with whatever type of street photogrpahy you are shooting, NO CONFRONTATION!! You dont wanna be part of an offence if something happens.

Ok, OT a bit.

Yup, same for me. I won't say it is totally useless, but it becomes more like portrait and closeup if you shoot at the near distance. The tight perspective is hard to bring out the movement, surroundings and life going on around the subject.

And if, you shoot from pretty far, the bokeh etc, is pretty hard to isolate the subject properly too. Not to mention there is possibility of blurred shots.

So, sell my telephoto. ;p

Ya, when shooting children, try to be more careful. It's human nature for parents to protect their kids.

Worse come to worst and if you don't want to waste the shot, give them your contacts and tell them you will send them the photo for vetting lor.:bsmilie:

Use a wide angle. Most of the time they don't know they're in frame. ;)

Yup, this is a pretty good way. But then, if so, the subject may be at the far end, which may result in distortion. Need to be pretty careful on that. :)

That's why I prefer to shoot landscape. The trees never complain...

So, sell my telephoto. ;p

Bro. U mean u sold ur telephoto liao :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I just smile the first moment they dun look too pleased. Haven gotten too much of trouble yet maybe because I dun street shoot too much.

3229103512_c9a8f3e44e.jpg

Here is a focusing shot that fell shot when I suddenly realized my subjects looked abit sour thru the VF

Ryan

Bro. U mean u sold ur telephoto liao :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I just smile the first moment they dun look too pleased. Haven gotten too much of trouble yet maybe because I dun street shoot too much.

3229103512_c9a8f3e44e.jpg

Here is a focusing shot that fell shot when I suddenly realized my subjects looked abit sour thru the VF

Ryan

Yea man, sold~~~~~ To cover "some expenses"~:bsmilie:

Hehe, as long as don't point the camera into someone face abruptly, should be fine la.

Yup, this perspective is good. Close and a bit wide and less distortion.

thanks, TS, this has been on my mind past couple of days. guess at the end of the day it's up to the individual's comfort level. i actually never got scolded, but havent taken all that many street shots and usually tele. all i got so far are curious looks and, more infrequently, angry looks. then i just smile and retreat. sometimes i do ask for permission first, but then not candid anymore, right?

well i once took a pic of a father carry his child at vivo.. as i was standing on 2nd floor outside (he was showing his kid ships) i find it a warm pic so i took their back.. but the father seems to know n point middle finger at mi >< so i just run away.. lol a middle finger for the 1st pic of the day :sweat:

I find myself more conformable shooting streets and candid when overseas, somehow, its either the culture is more accommodating, or they give concession to tourists.

tachyon if u do hear the trees complain than u better run quick wor.. dun stay there le :bsmilie:

Weird, i've never had problems with my street shots thus far, even though i tend to go very close.

Sometimes i ask, sometimes i just focus and shoot. I use a 35mm lens most of the time so maybe they think i'm shooting beyond them.

3267015564_aac24c866d.jpg

3263859818_49554de003.jpg

3231903294_9900c7527a.jpg

3217268899_fea0cd6982.jpg

3188782196_d8ab0f9a4a.jpg

I try to look like i actually know what i'm doing. Being nervous just makes you look suspicious.

haha depends on what kind of people in overseas your shooting if your shooting in area's like geylang in sg
you might walk out of there in a bag depending on what country you go lol ^^ be smart google for area then shoot later tio screwed kana before .... in beijing
nearly my good old konica minota 12x zoom digicam i bought for 1k getting smashed on the floor...

ya, but after a while the trees and the buildings start getting a bit old... wants to shoot birds but no money to buy telephoto... anyone want to donate 100-400mm L lens with 1.4x extender??

That's why I prefer to shoot landscape. The trees never complain...

Last edited:
wat a thread...2day my first time goin down to China town for shooting n this thread pop up...gosh..i wonder how i will react if kanan scold especially when this is like my 2nd time goin around for shooting...
thank goodness......nothing happen...
weee.......:sweat:

I think ultimately, the prob lies with the fact that most of us (the new DSLR users) are too zealous to get pics.
Imagine someone pointing a camera at you... it aint going to feel good and most of us aint too discreet about shooting either.

Stomp is not helping either with their irresponsible reporting..

Hmm...and I was just deciding between a prime lens and telezoom to do street photography.

Guess it's just cats and pigeons then...

That has never happened to me though. U must know how to approach it and check your situation. Usually the caucasians will be more friendly and open to this, it's the asians that are just simply too particular.

well for me, I would go into stealth mode when I use my telezoom lens (70-200mm) or my mid range lens (24-70mm) either on my 30D or my 1Ds MARK III body..... by the time people realised, I have nowhere to be seen......

i think its really different in Singapore, its like you try to take some unique pictures of people going about their life in Singapore, people don't really like it.

When i was in Sichuan,China last month, i went to the earthquake struck area, Shi Fang and i was like taking photos of the people going about their life, they were like super open about it and they kinda like having their photos taken. Its like they saw me taking, they like all suddenly stuck poses and that stuff.

I think its a different culture and exposure thingy...

Status
Not open for further replies.