got people use tupperware or lock lock as dry box?

satayman

Apr 10, 2010
hi everyone,

i am newbie. i got satay fetish so recently bought a nikon d3000 to take pictures of satay :lovegrin: thinking of doing a bokeh on a satay with the bbq pit as background...the glowing embers will make the pic shiok. ;p

a lot of ppl in this forum seem to buy dry boxes and cabinet to keep their gear. just want to know if anyone uses food tupperware or any airtight food containers instead. i know of a friend in his 60s who keeps his lenses and film slr in food jars meant for kimchi. he said it's fine just that when the silica gel turns pink have to fry it in a wok.

looking forward to learning new things in this forum. thks.

One of the strangest reasons I've come across for getting a camera.

Tuperware + silca gel works if you have the patience to periodically keep your gel dry.

Method ranges from leaving in sun, microwaving or in your case frying in wok. I'll leave those who actually does that to give you further advices on it.

However, I always think it doesn't really cost much (relative to your camera) to get a dry cabinet and do away with the hassle of using the silica gel.

i know of a friend in his 60s who keeps his lenses and film slr in food jars meant for kimchi. he said it's fine just that when the silica gel turns pink have to fry it in a wok.

how much does his equipment worth now?

and how much does your equipment worth now?

A d3000 kit might cost you 900+-. And maybe added up with a dry cabinet for another 110 is out of your budget.

There are people whom their lenses / camera survived without dry cabinet.
There are people whom their lenses got fungal growth when not using dry cabinet.
There are people who don't care minor fungal grow.

My advice will be, for short term if really no money, keep in dry box 1st. Save money and buy dry cabinet within a few month

TS u got a funny thinking.

u spent so much on a DSLR, and u are scrimping here and there for some protection over your equipment? Wake up pls!

hi everyone,

i am newbie. i got satay fetish so recently bought a nikon d3000 to take pictures of satay :lovegrin: thinking of doing a bokeh on a satay with the bbq pit as background...the glowing embers will make the pic shiok. ;p

a lot of ppl in this forum seem to buy dry boxes and cabinet to keep their gear. just want to know if anyone uses food tupperware or any airtight food containers instead. i know of a friend in his 60s who keeps his lenses and film slr in food jars meant for kimchi. he said it's fine just that when the silica gel turns pink have to fry it in a wok.

looking forward to learning new things in this forum. thks.

That must be the best reason to buy a camera ever :bsmilie:

Careful not to use too much silica gel if you use an airtight container. The rubber stuff will crack if it gets too dry. Don't worry about the humidity too much for now, my dslr goes into the dry cab less than 1 week per year probably. I only put the stuff I rarely use in there. As long as you use it often, fungus should not grow within 10 years or so. Get it after you have a bit more equipment.

thanks ah bian, madmartian, shen siung and kaixiang for your constructive advice and welcome :)

Welcoem to CS:)

the best reason i heard so far to get into photography.....:bsmilie:

welcome dude~~~

Welcome satayman !!!

Welcome to CS!
I got a question too, would cleaning the lenses and camera to keep it dry twice or thrice a week prevent fungus growth too?

Not recommended.. Just get a dry cabi and protect your camera. You have already spent so much for the camera.

newbies might not know this.

yes u may say it is perfectly safe to say that using drybox is safe.

but do you know that once fungus attacks your lens... u can never get rid of it completely.

and do you know that it takes years for the fungus to growth till its visible? and by the time you saw it, its way too late!

and who knows, those lens in your drybox is already infested just that the area of infestation is too small to be seen under naked eyes and so you thought it is still safe while its not! :)

although this can happen to dry cabinet too but the percentage of chances is much lower then using a drybox or even none at all.

so dun scrimp on this, cos i find it hard to believe, one can afford a DSLR + lens but cannot afford a dry cabinet! Thats nonsense!

My motto:

Dun buy a DLSR if you cannot afford a dry cabinet!

Last edited:
hey thanks treetrunk, lonarciso, af2373, horizon-grazer, cleonbus, byson and xtin88 for your advice and warm welcome.

yup am looking at some models from digicab. guess i'll go down to take a look after work.

No. Product Unit Price
AD-050 with delivery
S$168.00
DB-036 cash & carry
S$118.00

DB-036 is the smallest size we have, therefore it is only cash and carry,
you may want to make your purchase at the followings dealers:

MS Color(AMKHub) Alan Photo/Edison/Orient Photo/Song Brothers(Sim Lim Square)
Photocam(Peninsula Plaza), (John 3:16/Alan Photo /Song Brother (Funan It Mall)TK Foto(Shaw Tower)
Mustafa (Mustafa Centre/Serangoon Plaza)NTUC Extra(AMK Hub/ Jurong Point)
Parisilk Store (Katong/Holland/Bedok/Transit Rd.)

hey thanks treetrunk, lonarciso, af2373, horizon-grazer, cleonbus, byson and xtin88 for your advice and warm welcome.

yup am looking at some models from digicab. guess i'll go down to take a look after work.

No. Product Unit Price
AD-050 with delivery
S$168.00
DB-036 cash & carry
S$118.00

DB-036 is the smallest size we have, therefore it is only cash and carry,
you may want to make your purchase at the followings dealers:

MS Color(AMKHub) Alan Photo/Edison/Orient Photo/Song Brothers(Sim Lim Square)
Photocam(Peninsula Plaza), (John 3:16/Alan Photo /Song Brother (Funan It Mall)TK Foto(Shaw Tower)
Mustafa (Mustafa Centre/Serangoon Plaza)NTUC Extra(AMK Hub/ Jurong Point)
Parisilk Store (Katong/Holland/Bedok/Transit Rd.)

my tip for u is to go paris silk buy. i bought from them for $108 only. cash n carry. :)

Paris silk Katong got sale. 105 u get db 036, end on this coming sun