got noobs, how??

What do we do with noobs?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenEggs_n_Ham

Apr 29, 2003
think it's time to speak my mind, altough i have to admit, that i'm new here and have no authority in terms of forum ownership.

however, i would like to point out to all noobs and mods and admins alike that there is a growing number of newbies abound here and a lot of them are intimidated by the sheer size of the older group, as well as the high-end EQ they use.

the aim of the forum, i believe is to introduce beginning photographers to the hobby and allow them to mix n interact with more-experienced photogs in order to learn and experience. what's the point then, when the new ones appear and say "woah,what a big clique. do i even belong here" and then exits out of the scene, never to be seen again.

the question i would like to ask is emphasis. Are the mods n admin's emphasis on this forum just plainly to be an online thing,where people post their own pictures? or this forum as a medium to "community development" for all photogs new or old alike?

or both?

i suggest that, with the growing popularity and maturity of this forum, the mods n admin should consider where this is headed. i hear of mr. adam goi talking about this forum having too much photography equipment, and not enough photography. and i fully agree. even i, am guilty of that. do the mods want newbies to come in, look look and walk away? or do they want to grab anyone new and help cultivate the photography hobby into their blood?

i got two suggestions pertaining to newbies>
NID(noobs intro day)
or SJI (senior junior interaction)

hee...hope all noobs agree with me :D
(hopefully the mods too! if they think i'm not being a hassle since i'm asking them to take care of the noobs...;p )

Yep, agree with tofu, sounds good, oops. togu I mean :)

Sorry OT.

Is the name New comers or new members more appropriate then noobs? (or newbies or nubes etc).

AFAIK, the term newbies is actually an offensive term used to describe new people who just ventured into a group, sport, game etc.

If they declare it themselves, its ok, but to tag them with the term is actually quite rude.

my 2 cents.
No flames.

Dunno, kinda formal-sounding. Personally had too much "inrto day" kind of stuff until sianz liao. Start JC intro, JC univ intro, start work intro, switch job intro, over univ intro again, go cousin's POP intro....

On the other hand, having such a structured form will probably encourage new members to get together and break the ice.

I'm no professional photog, I'll confess. But I don't mind going around or leading small groups for exploratory sessions whenever I'm free. (there's one here... http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34397) See how it goes, will try to work towards another one sometime in the sch hols.

Way to go, Green Eggs, hope you can join us too! :)

What about organising an outing just for newcomers? Or maybe even a SEED catering just for newer members? Only 2 or 3 guys from admin or mods to go along to represent and get everything moving along? Something like an orientation of sorts...

Originally posted by ckiang
Very easy.

Make the newbies treat all the seasoned users a nice dinner during one of the SEEDS. (6)

Regards
CK

Shoudn't that be the other way round? :devil:

Seriously, GreenEggs_n_Ham has made a very valid and constructive point. :thumbsup:

It must be a really terrible feeling ... it's like sort of being invited to a party and yet no one make an attempt to induct them to the rest (or should I say passing the buck in hope that 'someone else' will do it). At times, I'm also guilty of doing this too! :embrass:

Any more suggestions? Let them flow! I'm sure the Admin, mods and the regulars are reading these ...

Phew ... at first I thought my name was mentioned for the wrong reasons! :D

at first I thought my name was mentioned for the wrong reasons!
Maybe cuz ppl associated you with that poll you started?

But yah its good. At least this way you are sure that there is still enough interest to keep the forum alive. Moreso that we are not all Internet freaks yet who do not require face-to-face contact once in a while.
:p

it's great Azure started the outing for the new-ones! (keke...dun use noob lar hor.)

hmm...i guess my intention is really for the more exp. to teach the lesser exp. ones...

(paiseh man..i noe the older members are working n have family...tight schedules...so cannot blame them for not spending time with the newcomers...)

so have to ask for the "freerer" ones to help us out!

n i tot i was the oni who felt that way......

not that the older members are scary...but i think some are shy...

shy as in not that they dun want to sit down at seed n chat...but rather i would say, dunno how.....

The other day i went to seed, feeling really lost....cos i really needed help on some qns i have....but dunno who to approach n how....

Ended up went to seed, got something i wanted to buy from a fellow cser, n left.....

I think such events benefits beginners (since noobs sound a bit ahem....) like me.....

Im in support of the idea......

Good one sam.....

i think maybe if first timer going to seeds.....can label themselves as first timer...then someone intro him/her to the rest?

but starting a :
NID(noobs intro day)
or SJI (senior junior interaction)

sounds a bit too formal and rigid........hey.....this is to relax and do things at own free will.......free time, i tot^^+
[own time own target ;) ]

just some personal view.......

really ar? no one tok to u meh??

coming one u going? ha......we both go lor.....then talk talk.....haha

oh...i usually reach abt that time......maybe...next time we can ask more newbie go hahaa.........

me go zzzzzzzz lah...tml going to botanic garden...hope i dun overslep~~

I remember my very first seed, went down there at 5.30pm, approached the wrong group. :embrass: Gotta keep walking around the food court, keep guessing, till I get it right. The very first few CS'pers I get to know should be jeffgoh, simon, daren, edmund, purpuruslos, and a few others, I think. (sorry if I miss out any names ;p )

My very first seed was like a disaster, gotta find topic to chat, and at the same time try to get into their topic. Looks like a clown most of the time tho. Glad that the group are pretty er... talkative (esp Jeff). After a while, more and more pple came, and I gets to know more pple.

You just need a thick skin, that's all. And you'll slowly blend into a new world full of photography weirdos.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.