Got my RX 100

nsng

Feb 28, 2004
nns555.zenfolio.com
I was in HKG for a few days and decided to purchase the RX 100.
So far I am impressed with the results. The ooc jpgs look good. But I usually shoot RAW and unfortunately both C1 and ACR have not provided updates handle the RX 100 RAW files.
My current p&s is the D-Lux 4 and this camera is even smaller. It is very pocketable.

Here are a few snapshots, the first is the RX 100 with the promo material.

rx_1001.JPG
[/IMG]

DSC00093res.JPG
[/IMG]

DSC00118res.JPG
[/IMG]

DSC00088res.JPG

DSC00063res.JPG

Will post more images later.

A stellar game changer from a company that is not afraid to cannibalize its own products. It can only get better. I hope it won't be priced out of realities when it reaches Singapore shore. You can see prices dropping already for the Oly EM-5.

any news on arrival? heard next month when I called sony

Congrats on the purchase! I have mine preordered at one of the usual shops since the day it was announced but till now no news yet..:(

I heard the ISO performance is also very good. Care to take some high ISO photo pls see how bad-ass camera this RX100 is :p

all i can say at this point in time... is that the High ISO performance at ISO6400 is better than the Nikon 1 series at Hi-1. and comparable to the Canon G1X.

seen with my own eyes, NR all set to Low, settings as similar as possible.

I heard the ISO performance is also very good. Care to take some high ISO photo pls see how bad-ass camera this RX100 is :p

I set everything to auto to see how this would perform. This was taken at IS03200.

DSC00136res.JPG

all i can say at this point in time... is that the High ISO performance at ISO6400 is better than the Nikon 1 series at Hi-1. and comparable to the Canon G1X.

seen with my own eyes, NR all set to Low, settings as similar as possible.

And how did you see this with your own eyes?

Here are a few more shots from the RX100.

28mm equivalent @f2.0
DSC00084resize.JPG

DSC00103res.JPG

Excellent details
DSC00034res.JPG

DSC00043res.JPG

This will replace my D-Lux 4 as my p&s. No, it will not replace my main cameras. The IQ is amazing for such a small package. I expect the quality from the RAW files to be a notch higher than jpegs. This is a serious compact for anyone who demands high IQ.

looks good but not as good as nex5n haah :)

You might as well say his bicycle is good but not as good as your motorbike !!! :dunno:

well, it's how fast you can peddle that matters ;)

that's why, a $2,200 Brompton can go faster than a Hayabusa if the user can peddle at the speed of light :bsmilie:

Yeah, and his 'bicycle' is smaller than your 'motorcycle', so easier to bring around, can carry up stairways n also cheaper.

I have a 5N too, but one thing I have learnt is that there is a place for high end compacts like this, esp if they are able to take good pictures.

think cannot compare like that la. one is a PnS with bigger sensor. the other is an interchangeable lens unit with APSC sensor.
I have a OMD. but am getting this because its smaller and can fit inside my pocket.

A good upgrade for those using compacts.

If it sticks around $900. Can consider buying.

Congrats on the purchase! I have mine preordered at one of the usual shops since the day it was announced but till now no news yet..:(
which shop takes the pre-order ?

In terms of area, the 5N APSC sensor is 3 times larger. The RX100 is not designed to replace the 5N. This is a serious P&S capable of high quality image which is pocketable. It has a zoom equivalent of 28-100mm. At 28mm, it is a fast f1.8. It is silly to compare the two very different cameras. Try squeezing a 5N with an equivalent zoom into a shirt pocket. It should be compared with p&s of similar size.

In the Luminous Landscape review, Sony RX100, the RX100 is said to be the digital Rollei 35S. The 35S was a very pocketable, manual film camera. I used this for many years and the result was amazing, mainly due its superb 40mm Sonnar lens.

See Imaging Resource's review, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Camera - Review. At base ISO, the 5N image is better, but it is very close.

In terms of area, the 5N APSC sensor is 3 times larger. The RX100 is not designed to replace the 5N. This is a serious P&S capable of high quality image which is pocketable. It has a zoom equivalent of 28-100mm. At 28mm, it is a fast f1.8. It is silly to compare the two very different cameras. Try squeezing a 5N with an equivalent zoom into a shirt pocket. It should be compared with p&s of similar size.

In the Luminous Landscape review, Sony RX100, the RX100 is said to be the digital Rollei 35S. The 35S was a very pocketable, manual film camera. I used this for many years and the result was amazing, mainly due its superb 40mm Sonnar lens.

See Imaging Resource's review, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Camera - Review. At base ISO, the 5N image is better, but it is very close.

You can not shoot at base iso all the time