Got any tight wraps to protect camera in backpack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
My new backpack is just nice to hold a camera & lens and some personal stuff.
I need some bags to protect the camera, are there any such things? ;p Put the
camera in a smaller Lowepro bag can no longer fit.

get a big piece of cloth and wrap it?
someone i know is doing that for his 1DmkIIn

Drudkh said:
get a big piece of cloth and wrap it?
someone i know is doing that for his 1DmkIIn
yeah, similar to gaefering, but i worry one day I take it out in the MRT, people suspect me handling a gun or what. ;p

I remember one day somebody said "put it in some inserts and carry in backpack", but I didn't probe into that method. I really like to carry camera concealed since go to office with camera bag gives people wrong implications.

get one of those tenba office type camera bags. they look more like laptop bag rather then camera bag.

Try using some packing foam to cushion your camera.

The packing foam I'm referring to is the type where its used for harddisks, pc boards etc. These are quite easily available and are much easier to shape and are not messy like styrofoam boards. Plus these are also usually static free.

I use one when I take my new baby :lovegrin: out in my eastpac.

I saw some pouch to contain the laptop and then put the pouch in backpacks, are there
same pouches for camera?

You can buy 'Soft Wrap' from Op/Tech at CP. 3 sizes, 11", 15" & 19" square. The 15" will fit my 20D (body alone). The prices start at about $23 - 28 approx. They will protect the body and lenses.

If you use them, you don't need a dedicated camera bag - any bag will do. Also I find that this method of carrying them is more efficient as there is no wasted space that you get with the dividers in a camera bag. The only drawback I find is that the lenses are not so easily available for quick changes, so depending on your needs after you reach your destination, this might be the way to go.

syl said:
You can buy 'Soft Wrap' from Op/Tech at CP. 3 sizes, 11", 15" & 19" square. The 15" will fit my 20D (body alone). The prices start at about $23 - 28 approx. They will protect the body and lenses.

If you use them, you don't need a dedicated camera bag - any bag will do. Also I find that this method of carrying them is more efficient as there is no wasted space that you get with the dividers in a camera bag. The only drawback I find is that the lenses are not so easily available for quick changes, so depending on your needs after you reach your destination, this might be the way to go.

Its made of neoprene-like material. Light but a little bulky. Similar material to the Op/Tech straps.

dRebelXT said:
yeah, similar to gaefering, but i worry one day I take it out in the MRT, people suspect me handling a gun or what. ;p
U worry too much my friend. ;p

Now I am using my Sigma 135-400mm's pouch, it does great after I remove the
padding on the zipper's end. Now it can fit my camera with any of my three lens,
then squeeze into my backpack.

mmm...i'm actually using "floor mats" to both line my bag (interior) and cut pieces of it to wrap around my lenses. it's thick, tough, malleable and provide good cushioning. 1m of it costs btwn $12-25 depending on design and where u get it... :thumbsup:

gave up using camera bags a long time liao...

dRebelXT said:

Gaffering do NOT protect your camera from knocks and bumps. :thumbsd:
Wrapping in a thick towel, DOES :thumbsup:

Why bother? Just throw it into the bag and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.