Google Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terence

Nov 16, 2003
I'm a Llama!
Has anyone tried this funky new app from Google? Real time satellite imagery of anywhere in the world. Just type in an address or coordinate.

http://earth.google.com/

Not available for Macs at this time though :(

The interface on Earth is much better than Maps. And it's worldwide, google maps is only for the US.

Terence said:
The interface on Earth is much better than Maps. And it's worldwide, google maps is only for the US.

Earth is quite fun. I have been playing with it revisiting places I have been to and trying to compare my mental map of the places with the overhead views from Earth.

Sadly, many places that they claim to cover, are not quite covered satisfactorily. For instance, the overhead view of Sydney is quite a joke. It doesn't even take in the more touristy areas or even the Northern part of Sydney. I suppose it's alright for places in the US........

I need help, why i only see a green screen? :confused:

evq said:
I need help, why i only see a green screen? :confused:

Don't zoom in so close to see the grass..........

This is amazing...here's how close I can get to see my house (in the blue circle) on maps.google.com:

Sat_1.jpg

And here's what I can get on the Earth software:

Sat_2.jpg

The photos were taken about 3 years ago not long after I moved in. I have not planted the grass in my backyard and some of my neighbours' houses were not built yet. Really cool! :cool:

software applicable to US area only, can't even find Singapore. uninstalled liao.

eikin said:
software applicable to US area only, can't even find Singapore. uninstalled liao.
No wonder I can't see anything...
Sigh.

Singapore is always cover with patches of clouds... wut can see?... :bsmilie:

Had any one try searching for the white house?... was told that the images of the roof of the white house were altered... anyone know the address?... gonna try later...

And yea, a challenge for u all, can anyone find the great wall of china?... been through it the whole nite yet still can't find... but hexk... found the Giza pyramid... ;p

Look around for airports, sometimes you can see jets taking off and landing too.

RossChang said:
Had any one try searching for the white house?... was told that the images of the roof of the white house were altered... anyone know the address?... gonna try later...

The huge Alfred E Neumann picture on top of the White House has been removed...................

Can only get a good bird's eye view of Singapore, with all that cloud cover. Can't zoom in a lot, but the map even shows up Botanic Garden's Symphony Lake.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
Can only get a good bird's eye view of Singapore, with all that cloud cover. Can't zoom in a lot, but the map even shows up Botanic Garden's Symphony Lake.

Regards
CK

got screen capture? dunno how to use the software

Search for "Singapore", zoom all the way in.

Down South, showing Symphony Lake, Marina South, etc
south.jpg

Eastern side with the airport. Some details of Pulau Ubin are visible. Wonder if the 2 lakes are the left is Bedok Reservoir?
changi.jpg

Regards
CK

thanks ckiang...

my block is in the satellite map too

the island on the left of Ubin, should be P.Serangoon

my block is along the river at the right tip of P. Serangoon

can zoom in that part some more??

Wai said:
thanks ckiang...

my block is in the satellite map too

the island on the left of Ubin, should be P.Serangoon

my block is along the river at the right tip of P. Serangoon

can zoom in that part some more??

Here. I think it probably reached the limit, the software is interpolating liao.

serangoonriver.jpg

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.