Good 'take anywhere' prosumer camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royce

Aug 25, 2003
Singapore
www.roycelithgo.com
Ok, while I love the power and quality of my DSLR kit, sometimes it is just a drag to carry it everywhere. Also, there are some shots i'd like to take, but not so convenient with the DSLR (eg. street candids)

So I'm thinking maybe it would be good to have some compact digi cam to carry with me on these occasions. Have looked at Nikon CP 5400 and 5700, both look pretty good.

I have 2 1gb microdrives, so prefer something that would use them (guess this rules out Sony cams).

Any recommendations?

For me, I would consider a 2nd hand G3 or a Sony V1.

G3 'coz it uses the same batt and flash as my DSLR.
V1 'coz of its fast AF and low noise 5 MP images, even at ISO400.

Sony one looks ok, but not interested in buying memory sticks when already have microdrive.

Any CP 5400 / 5700 owners out there? Care to share your impressions?
Thanks.

Considered canon cams?

The A80 not bad... with the swivel LCD, can take candid shots from ground level, literally speaking... Good for candids... But once spotted... heh... die...

AReality said:
Considered canon cams?

The A80 not bad... with the swivel LCD, can take candid shots from ground level, literally speaking... Good for candids... But once spotted... heh... die...
A80 don't support microdrive?
What about G3? Read good review for it on dpreview.

Royce said:
A80 don't support microdrive?
What about G3? Read good review for it on dpreview.
Canon G2/G3 would be my choice for a compact prosumer-type digicam. :thumbsup: Excellent for streets and candid shots coz of the flip-out and rotatable LCD screen...you can put the cam on a table or at waist level and take a picture of the subject without them even knowing. The LCD screen on the G3 is excellent and bright. Long battery life too.

Ain't your priority a small digicam?
I think the G3 is a bit big...

Just get a cheap 1 will do... anyway, if it's not a photography trip, not many friends will wait for U to turn on your digicam, set ISO,aperature,shutter,white balance,attach mini-tripod, lie down on floor, wait for correct moment, then snap...

Small yes, but not necessarily too small. I think G3 is probably the way to go.
How much for a new one?

Royce said:
How much for a new one?

Olympus 5050z f1.8 lens .... Wooooo....... !!!!! Ya!!!! hehehehe....

Royce said:
How much for a new one?
I believe its been discontinued already, although there still might be some shops selling it (e.g Best Denki, Harvey Norman, among others). Its ~$1,050 for a new one. You can also pick up a 2nd hand copy for abt $800+ (depends on condition/age), quite a few people are selling it, just check out the Buy Sell forums. :)

Not wanting to appear biased towards Canon, so I'd also recommend you check out the Olympus c750uz, it has 10x optical zoom and retailing at abt $999 I believe. (however downside is no flip screen :D ).

blurblock said:
Olympus 5050z f1.8 lens .... Wooooo....... !!!!! Ya!!!! hehehehe....
From dpreview review...

"The C-5050 Zoom however isn't without its problems, the first things which struck me about images from the camera were higher than expected noise levels at a relatively low sensitivity ISO 64 and the visibility of chromatic aberrations in high contrast images, even at small apertures. These two issues are the primary reasons I can't give an otherwise excellent camera our 'Highly Recommended' rating. I love the C-5050 Zoom as a photographic tool, if you feel that the noise levels are acceptable and the chromatic aberrations not an issue in your photography then the compact and ultra-flexible C-5050 Zoom should be high on your list. "

Is noise as bad as he makes out?

Royce said:
I have 2 1gb microdrives, so prefer something that would use them (guess this rules out Sony cams).

I'm not sure what's microdrives... but the new Sony F828 supports CF cards.

Royce said:
Any particular reason why?

im certain that the 5700 can use microdrives for one... and its got a longer zoom range. just for a bit more money. can attach battery pack with shutter release. its more "pro" than "sumer". to me battery issues are most pertinent in digital cameras.

can 5400 attach battery pack?

I have a DSLR.. but yet carry around a Canon A80 everyday usually around my belt.. even when I carry the DSLR around.

The G series is a bit big to carry around the waist comfortably..
And it can take microdrives.

Actually the new Sony 828 has microdrive slot also.

showtime said:
im certain that the 5700 can use microdrives for one... and its got a longer zoom range. just for a bit more money. can attach battery pack with shutter release. its more "pro" than "sumer". to me battery issues are most pertinent in digital cameras.

can 5400 attach battery pack?

for a DSLR user, the CP5700 might be a bit slow on AF for your liking. (it sure is for mine!) The zoom range is good, but you might want to consider the WA adapter to give you wider coverage below 28mm [135 equiv.]. Noise levels at high ISOs is also very high, and the AA battery life is short. It's a good camera generally, but it might operate a little too slowly for candids.

I might suggest the Minolta Z1. AF is F A S T.

Cheers.

Since you've handled a DSLR, you may want to
consider Minolta A1.
It's very DSLR like, yet considerably small.
Mechanical zoom, manual focus ring, plus lots of features.

Wah. all the recommendations getting bigger and BIGGER! :D
I personally find the 5700 a little big for a "bring anywhere P&S" camera. Something around the size of the 4300 might be a better bet. Ok...so i've got one...hehe.

4MP, really easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.