good spot for capturing city landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonifas

Dec 30, 2005
Singapore
anybody know where is the best spot to capture a city lights/landscape from the tall building in singapore? a building with a free access to the roof/top floor?

free access to roof. hardly anyone would allow that after the recent years of terror threats in the region.

i went to capital tower a couple months ago, nice view from china club, but i guess you are not allowed to take picture or going out from inside. all the windows and doors are sealed.
still have no idea where are the good spots

I'm still looking for a good spot. The best thing so far is the roof terrace at the Esplanade, but that could hardly be called a high building. It does give some height though, so it's still a plus. Initially I approached the counter at Swissotel and even called the management to ask if they could just give me a few hours to take some photos, and I wouldn't mind a security guard peering over my back to make sure I don't do something irresponsible.

Nope...nothing doing. I'd have to pay to get a room. Probably something along the lines of $300 a night. They even warned me that if I were trying to get a place before National Day, I'd have to try really early.

fWord said:
I'm still looking for a good spot. The best thing so far is the roof terrace at the Esplanade, but that could hardly be called a high building. It does give some height though, so it's still a plus. Initially I approached the counter at Swissotel and even called the management to ask if they could just give me a few hours to take some photos, and I wouldn't mind a security guard peering over my back to make sure I don't do something irresponsible.

Nope...nothing doing. I'd have to pay to get a room. Probably something along the lines of $300 a night. They even warned me that if I were trying to get a place before National Day, I'd have to try really early.
don't even think about taking photos inside the room, unless they offer a balcony. The windows are dirty and sucks big time.

if you can really afford some cash, try equinox at swissotel.

40th floor of the tallest flats in Toa Payoh....

tp40pano13qi.jpg

i see, a high floor from the flat could be a good idea, I can start looking for a friends who are staying in the high floor flat with a good view.. :D

not always, sometimes at d corridor can liao. Toa Payoh near MRT got a few new 30 storey flats. u can try Chinatown & Bras Besah 4 a diff view of city scape. :)

i sometimes use a st directory 2 help me guage if a particular location is scenic or not... ;p

yanyewkay said:
don't even think about taking photos inside the room, unless they offer a balcony. The windows are dirty and sucks big time.

if you can really afford some cash, try equinox at swissotel.

I tried asking at the Equinox as well. They said they don't allow 'viewing'. To be frank, I was quite ticked off. I should have asked, "Okay then. If I buy your $20 glass of Coke, can I then take pictures?!" :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me, but I think some things in Singapore are photographed to death, especially the skyline at the Merlion. It's beautiful, but overdone.

If you can't get the vantage point, you don't get a unique shot. Conversely, if you get a vantage point and shoot something very mundane, it'll still earn lots of points because nobody's ever seen it from some 'insert name here' rooftop before.

redstone said:
We've got HDB flats everywhere. :)

Some can offer fantastic views.

That's true. I've considered using them as new vantage points, but to be honest, I'm probably too paranoid to setup a tripod and camera along the corridors. Someone might just grab me from behind, snuff me out and take my belongings! :cry:

But on a more serious note, yes, I'll try that some day. So far I've only done it for a daytime shoot.

You can try:

Selegie Road flats, called Selegie House
Toa Payoh's 40 floor flats
Queenstown's 40 floor flats
ANY 30 floor flats in AMK. Trust me. :bsmilie:
Any flat with long corridor, facing inwards at Marine Parade. Can get very very nice panoramas
Chinatown flats
Little India flats

:)

redstone said:
You can try:

Selegie Road flats, called Selegie House
Toa Payoh's 40 floor flats
Queenstown's 40 floor flats
ANY 30 floor flats in AMK. Trust me. :bsmilie:
Any flat with long corridor, facing inwards at Marine Parade. Can get very very nice panoramas
Chinatown flats
Little India flats

:)

worth to try, thanks for the input. maybe i should bring some companions in order to avoid "Someone that might just grab me from behind, snuff me out and take my belongings!" as bro fWord mentioned :D

Status
Not open for further replies.