good portrait lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazardman

Aug 10, 2002
Eunos
Visit site
Wat's a good portrait lens for Canon System?

Let's say if i use Canon 105mm macro lens, will it be as good for portraitures as it is for macro shots?

it may be too sharp and the result will be unflattering (you can count all the pimples/blackheads/pores). but then again, this would be a small concern if you are going to apply digital post-processing.

personally, I would get the macro over a 'dedicated' portrait lens

actually, nothing can be "too sharp".

Originally posted by munfai
it may be too sharp and the result will be unflattering (you can count all the pimples/blackheads/pores). but then again, this would be a small concern if you are going to apply digital post-processing.

personally, I would get the macro over a 'dedicated' portrait lens

This is the most mentioned myth about macro lenses. Macro lenses are not "too sharp", it's just that it's usually used to shoot small things with so much fine detail, and blown up that they give people that impression. Most primes are VERY sharp anyway. The best portrait lens you can get on the Canon system is probably the EF 85mm f/1.2L and that's gonna be "too sharp" too. ;)

Regards
CK

well said ck, i wish people would stop spreading the myth of lenses that are too sharp for portraiture....go use a plastic lens then....
please study the effects of lighting, exposure before spreading such crap....

:(

Originally posted by GitS
go use a plastic lens then....
please study the effects of lighting, exposure before spreading such crap....

:(

i'm not saying that what I posted is the THE rule that all of you should adhere to. It's just a personal opinion based on personal experiences.

if you want to correct me, please be a bit more civilized.

Originally posted by hazardman
Wat's a good portrait lens for Canon System?

Let's say if i use Canon 105mm macro lens, will it be as good for portraitures as it is for macro shots?
For me 85 f1.4 is the best among all...:D

yah lor, so unfair, nikon made the 85 1.4 at an affordable price... but the canon 85 1.2 price is ludicrous!!:) :p

Originally posted by GitS
yah lor, so unfair, nikon made the 85 1.4 at an affordable price... but the canon 85 1.2 price is ludicrous!!:) :p

what's the price for the nikon 85 f/1.4?

I wouldn't recommend the 85mm f1.2L simply because it's rather old technology already, the lens been around for maybe 10 years?
Lense technology has improved a lot since then, and you may be surprised that the 85mm f1.8 may be even sharper than f1.2L although it's not a L-lens. Also at f1.2, the DOF is already kinda of too shallow. Depending on how far you are from the subject, let say if you decided take a close-up facial picture of your subject, at f1.2, if you focused on the eyes, most likely the tip of the nose will oredi be out of focus.

What I will like to recommend is the 135mm f2.0L. It's a great portrait lens and comes comparatively cheap for a L-lens. The lense is extremely sharp, good colour fidelity and a good natural looking bokeh. Market price is about $1100 to $1300.

Originally posted by ckiang
One word: Overly expensive. $1700 or thereabouts. :eek:
Cost more than the AFnD 80-200mm f/2.8D ED. :(

Regards
CK

$1700! :eek: :eek:

if i remember correctly the Minolta 84/1,4 is much much cheaper.

$1700! :eek: :eek:

if i remember correctly the Minolta 84/1,4 is much much cheaper.
aiya, that is minolta, and this is Nikon mah.....:D

But 85 f1.4 is damm good for portrait, super fast.....also super price!!!!:D

now saving bullet to aim for it....

Originally posted by longman
aiya, that is minolta, and this is Nikon mah.....:D

the 85/1,4 is a Minolta G lens, which means that it is on par, if not better, than the Canon L and best Nikkor glass.

the 85/1,4 is a Minolta G lens, which means that it is on par, if not better, than the Canon L and best Nikkor glass.

But sometime other brand top glass price still can't compare to ED & L, just simply they are L & ED....;)

Originally posted by longman
But sometime other brand top glass price still can't compare to ED & L, just simply they are L & ED....;)

ya... pity is, it's only the price that can't be compared! :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.