Good places to shop for tripod & bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBen

Aug 24, 2008
Toa Payoh
Hi,

I got a challenging task from a friend of mine. He is stopping by Singapore for less than 24 hours & is asking me to bring him to shop for tripod & camera bag. He owns expensive gears.

Where is the best place I can bring him around? I think we only have time for 1 or the most 2 shops.

Thanks a lot, folks.

Cheers,
Ben

Cathay Photo at Peninsula has a large selection of both.

John 3:16 is reputed for the best service, and competitive prices too. Selection is not as wide but they carry Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods, Lowepro, ThinkTank, Tamrac and some Domke bags.

What about Giottos and SLIK tripods? Which place has them?

I would recommend 2 place... Cathay and TK Photo. Both got the widest range of good tripods and bags.

Cathy Photo (Penisular) and TK photo, added bonus is they are near to each other. But check out the opening hours, I think not open on Sundays.

Cathay Photo Marina. Lots of bags and tripods to choose from.
If you go on a Sunday, make sure to go to the Marina branch as Peninsula branch is close.

I suggest to bring him to Peninsula Plaza and Sim Lim square. These 2 buildings has the most numbers of shops selling photography equipments. I mean there are a few shops to choose from in each building and not just one shop. So save yourself some transport and travelling time.

Thanks, folks.

You guys are very helpful! :angel:

Cheers,
Ben

Hi guys, what about Giottos tripod? Any of the shops like Cathay, MSC, TK, Alan, John etc sells it?

Hi guys, what about Giottos tripod? Any of the shops like Cathay, MSC, TK, Alan, John etc sells it?

If i not wrong CP do carry them.
They have lots of brands to choose from, Manfrotto, Slik etc.

OP might offer a better price... TK has a pretty wide selection as well....

It may be good if TS friend researches on the various tripod and bag brand/models now. The TS or friend could even get email quotes and availability on the models he/she is interested in.

Just came back from Orient Photo is SLS since I need to go collect my free screen protector.

I just compared the Benro 250EX with BH-00 head and Manfrotto 7321YB, both same price. Although Benro is lighter, has a good head with many features, it is shorter and has a higher min height. But overall good quality and good construction, especially the foam wrap around the legs, and the thinest legs are also thicker than Manfrotto 7321YB and sturdier. The legs also have 3 angles compared to 2 angles for Manfrotto.

Manfrotto is without saying I think the more established brand, has a taller max height and a smaller min height than Benro 250EX. Has 3 way pan head, although Benro's BH-00 is also feature loaded. This is slightly heavier and has a more flimpsy low legs. But the top slider lock is better than the Benro one, Manfrotto's one is quick release type while Benro's is screw type.

Both rated to carry 2.5KG Max load, but I am sure 3.5-4KG is no problem, they scared getting sued and complain so always understate max load. All in all very tough decision, and in the end still went with Manfrotto due to more established brand and higher resale value I think. that being said I certainly would not have mind Benro.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/18049
D0010_a367697b778c62e121c0338fb777cc4d_L.jpg

http://www.benro.com.cn/ENbenro/AA_ProductShow.asp?ID=468
200859114324708.jpg

Amazon, Adorama, B&H and Ebay has the greatest selection.

if want to look and see, then Cityhall area with Alan, Cathay, J316, TCW and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.