Good place to learn Conversational Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

major_tom

Dec 3, 2005
Anyone have recommendations on the above.
Either schools or home tutor is fine by me.
Been looking at the papers but dunno which is good.

TIA!

Will you be using Japanese very often? If so, I guessed that any school or course is fine. But if you don't, or it is only for interest, it won't make any difference neither.

The thing is, you've got to speak and practice with the natives. They speak very fast, mind you. I couldn't catch what they were saying most of the time when I was in Japan for vacation.

Happy learning!:)

i have a few frenz who learnt jap from basic to advanced class for many years. but now, still unable to speak fluently and cannot understand jap drama bcos he didn't use it at all. :confused:

might be relocating to Japan wif family mid 2007 for 3-5 yrs..........
i dunno wanna learn written Jap yet though.......

heheheh...jcs. bet i will be only senior citizen in a sea of young teens & adults....
* embarrassed *

might be relocating to Japan wif family mid 2007 for 3-5 yrs..........
i dunno wanna learn written Jap yet though.......

Hmmm... it's better to learn both though.. not so you can write essays in Japanese but most of the menus and shops and many many things are in hiragana, katakana and kanji.

But not to worry, since you will be staying in Japan, you will be able to pick up the language fast.

In the meantime, watch lots of j-drama and anime. It helps. :)

i have a few frenz who learnt jap from basic to advanced class for many years. but now, still unable to speak fluently and cannot understand jap drama bcos he didn't use it at all. :confused:

Ya a colleague of mine also has the same issue. He's now preparing for JLPT3 but once he went Sentosa, saw some Japanese tourists and can't understand a single word they were saying... :cry:

Best is go Japan. Once there, you will have no choice but to speak the language.:)

Ya a colleague of mine also has the same issue. He's now preparing for JLPT3 but once he went Sentosa, saw some Japanese tourists and can't understand a single word they were saying... :cry:

Best is go Japan. Once there, you will have no choice but to speak the language.:)

That's nothing...My first time in Japan, I couldn't understand what 4 year-old nursery kids were trying to tell me, despite having passed JLPT 4.:confused:

Hah Major Tom, relocating to Japan? Which part? Need anything just give me a PM. Did some stuff over there and can share whatever I know with you.

As for language, good to go for some classes to pick up the basics like but end of the day, you got to be there to really pick it up to be able to speak fluently.

The thing is Japanese language has it's own slang and also dialects. Example people in Osaka and Kagoshima speak differently from those in Tokyo. And even in Tokyo people who live in certain districts speak differently. Its like our Singlish. Hence what you learn in school is the proper Japanese, what is spoken is quite different.

Hope it helps.

Hah Major Tom, relocating to Japan? Which part? Need anything just give me a PM. Did some stuff over there and can share whatever I know with you.

As for language, good to go for some classes to pick up the basics like but end of the day, you got to be there to really pick it up to be able to speak fluently.

The thing is Japanese language has it's own slang and also dialects. Example people in Osaka and Kagoshima speak differently from those in Tokyo. And even in Tokyo people who live in certain districts speak differently. Its like our Singlish. Hence what you learn in school is the proper Japanese, what is spoken is quite different.

Hope it helps.

still negotiating package with HR......looking out for International schools for kids, accomodation etc.....will be in tokyo 3-5 yrs and possibly longer. Yes, I do agree. spoken Japanese and what you actually learn is quite diff. I have tried attending schools here on 3 occasions but gave up due to work commitments and as I cant read/write Chinese, I had difficulty in writing kanji/hiragana and what-nots. Hence, my plan to go conversational this time round.

dun worry about picking up japanese if you are going over to japan to work
juz mix around with the locals, colleagues for drinking sessions and you will definitely be able to pick it up fast. especially after a few drinks it will be "nomu"(飲む)nication.

No kidding on this one... that is how i learnt mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.