Good PLace to buy PS3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
SOmeone guide me along ... I know nothing about PS3, and I want to buy one, because I wanna play GranTurismo5. I bought my PS2 , becasue of GT4... and thats the only game I had.

Where's a good place to get, and what prices should i be expecting ?

SHould I look out for anything ? like Modifications ?

Thanks

SOmeone guide me along ... I know nothing about PS3, and I want to buy one, because I wanna play GranTurismo5. I bought my PS2 , becasue of GT4... and thats the only game I had.

Thanks

Mods are currently illegal, not sure if it can be discussed openly. :think:

You can expect game prices from the range $80-$90+, which is very expensive.
Heard Funzcentre in AMK Hub is quite well known for good services, prices should be around $550+ range for 40Gb version.

Thanks
1st of all before anyone turns into the next carrot head, I must say this:

1) Even IF you are looking for it, there is, at present no modification for PS3 whatsoever! So if the shop says they need to 'modify to region 3' and what crap, walk out immediately!!!!!

2) The price for the Black PS3 and White PS3 are exactly the same. Don't give into crap like, "Oh, the price I quoted u is the black. White one will cost extra $100."

3) There are no, I repeat, no 'cheap games' (aka Pirated Games) available for the PS3 console as of this present moment u are reading it. Reason? Very simple, Blu-Ray. At the present moment, there are absolutely no methods whatsoever to circumvent the Area Protection code built into the PS3

4) All local PS3 sets are default at Region 3 (for DVD) and Region A (for Blu-Ray).

5) There is no region lockout for PS3. Which simply means that games bought in USA and Japan CAN BE PLAYED ON THE SINGAPORE SET. If the shop assistant tells u stuff like, "Oh we have to charge u extra cos we have to modify the set so it can play US and Japan games.", u tell him to go and fly a kite~

6) Regardless of how cheap those people offer you, never, ever goto the shops at Level 1 and Level 2 at Sim Lim!!!!

7) There are several reputable PS3 dealers that I would personally patronise. You can refer to them for purchases:
- FunzCentre @ AMK Hub
- GameScore @ Funan IT Mall
- Qisahn @ http://www.qisahn.com

8) I believe that there are 2 versions of PS3 now available on our local market, the 40GB and 80GB versions. The 40GB version do not have hard/software emulation to enable playback of PS2 games. The 80GB version (naturally the pricier one) has the emulation feature to play PS2 games. This would be an important point to consider if you are considering getting older PS2 games.

9) Although I'd mentioned earlier that there are no region lockout for PS3 Games, you must take note of region restrictions when u're playing PS2 Games. The local set can only play local PS2 games as well as Japanese PS2 games. If u see something that goes UC/NTSC on a PS2 game, it simply mean that you can't play those.

10) And yes, you CAN play Blu-Ray movies on the PS3. Singapore belongs to Region A for Blu-Ray region protection which means you can playback movies bought from USA and Japan.

I can joke about alot of things usually but this is one advice that I'm giving out very seriously. I don't wish to see yet another thread on HWZ saying, "XXX Shop at SLS cheated me!!!" when it is seriously the buyer's own fault when they are overcome by greed of seeing cheap stuff and having a thin skin of not walking out and refusing their right to purchase.

I hope I had not given any wrong info up there but if there are, please correct me immediately. I stand to be corrected and apologise if there is any wrong info.

Totally right on the spot jsbn, if you are looking for shops in the east can try out S Power House in Tampines

yup i strongly recommend funz centre . They r honest and provide gd after service :)

$550 for a PS3 is worth it. Does that include GST?

I found shop at Royal Plus, SLS (Not as bad, they are selling $530 w/o GST). Guess that it is about $10 bucks diff.

Currently PS3 is un-mod. And of course, I do not think we can discuss this openly here.

How I wish there's a local forum to talk about these. Hehe

$530... So what does it include? Don't save that $10 or $20 and end up u getting bluffed $50 extra.

I almost gave into temptation the other time when I was buying a NDSL as a birthday gift. It sounded so cheap until the fella punched the digits on the calculator, hit the tax button (I don't know what else he added) and ended up it seemed more expensive than what I'd bought my set for by at least $40.

$550 for a PS3 is worth it. Does that include GST?

I found shop at Royal Plus, SLS (Not as bad, they are selling $530 w/o GST). Guess that it is about $10 bucks diff.

Currently PS3 is un-mod. And of course, I do not think we can discuss this openly here.

How I wish there's a local forum to talk about these. Hehe

$530 is still possible.
just make sure that
1) they did not remove stuffs from the package.
2) its "official singapore product".. got local warranty.
3) no other charges
4) no need to buy some other game or stuffs (accessories, expensive extra controller, 3rd party controller) to get this price. usual SLS tactics...
5) they do not sell u expensive HDMI cable

$530 is still possible.
just make sure that
1) they did not remove stuffs from the package.
2) its "official singapore product".. got local warranty.
3) no other charges
4) no need to buy some other game or stuffs (accessories, expensive extra controller, 3rd party controller) to get this price. usual SLS tactics...
5) they do not sell u expensive HDMI cable

530 + 7% (their usual trick on me)
At least I gotten my Wii there and they are quite trustworthy to me (at least). But i always opt for good service and better pricing.

I aiming GT and Army of Two game.. Too bad.. wife is pulling my ear...:cry:

Just go to a reputable gameshop and get the damn ps3. i really don't see what the fuss is about wanting to save a few dollars here and there. Makes absolutely no sense to me

I went down to Gamescore at Funan center (which i totally recommend for it's excellent service), told them i wanted a white ps3, paid the money and went home.

Nice and simple, 550 dollars.

No dealing with moron ah bengs and idiots who try to cheat ur money.

If you have money to buy a ps3, you'd have money to afford all the games and blurays.

So why would you be scrimping, hoping to find a better deal on an item that is fixed price everywhere

Just go to a reputable gameshop and get the damn ps3. i really don't see what the fuss is about wanting to save a few dollars here and there. Makes absolutely no sense to me

I went down to Gamescore at Funan center (which i totally recommend for it's excellent service), told them i wanted a white ps3, paid the money and went home.

Nice and simple, 550 dollars.

No dealing with moron ah bengs and idiots who try to cheat ur money.

If you have money to buy a ps3, you'd have money to afford all the games and blurays.

So why would you be scrimping, hoping to find a better deal on an item that is fixed price everywhere

Can I say that, I do not see any wrong asking for pricing about PS3?

Plus saving is no wrong. :cool:

Saving a couple of dollars is not wrong.

But when one ignores ceavat emptor in opting to save a few dollars, ends up paying more and starts to fire threads on how he/she was cheated its kinda like watching one of those Stomp threads where idiots park illegally, get their wheel clamped and they whine to the carpark management, take a picture and lament to the whole world how pitiful they are when in reality, the idiots are the one truly at fault.

Anyway, like said. Ceavat Emptor. The 3 places that I'd personally recommended are the places that I would opt to patronise due to their service integrity. I'm not into saving a couple of dollars and end up paying more in kind~ I believe everyone has their own set of preference of where to buy.

Peace out.

Very good advice from jsbn.

Actually I'm also planning to get a PS3. So that my folks can watch movies and I can play games.

I heard that "seow choon" is good. It's at the shophouse oppositie sim lim tower/thieves market.

Very useful information :)

Just wondering though, if there is no modification because of Blu Ray, does it also mean that the PS3 cannot be modified to play pirated PS2 games? Hence those who want to play pirated PS2 games are better off getting a PS2?

It is however amusing to note how the shops try to sell "modified" PS3s to chop carrot head heheh :)

1st of all before anyone turns into the next carrot head, I must say this:

1) Even IF you are looking for it, there is, at present no modification for PS3 whatsoever! So if the shop says they need to 'modify to region 3' and what crap, walk out immediately!!!!!

2) The price for the Black PS3 and White PS3 are exactly the same. Don't give into crap like, "Oh, the price I quoted u is the black. White one will cost extra $100."

3) There are no, I repeat, no 'cheap games' (aka Pirated Games) available for the PS3 console as of this present moment u are reading it. Reason? Very simple, Blu-Ray. At the present moment, there are absolutely no methods whatsoever to circumvent the Area Protection code built into the PS3

4) All local PS3 sets are default at Region 3 (for DVD) and Region A (for Blu-Ray).

5) There is no region lockout for PS3. Which simply means that games bought in USA and Japan CAN BE PLAYED ON THE SINGAPORE SET. If the shop assistant tells u stuff like, "Oh we have to charge u extra cos we have to modify the set so it can play US and Japan games.", u tell him to go and fly a kite~

6) Regardless of how cheap those people offer you, never, ever goto the shops at Level 1 and Level 2 at Sim Lim!!!!

7) There are several reputable PS3 dealers that I would personally patronise. You can refer to them for purchases:
- FunzCentre @ AMK Hub
- GameScore @ Funan IT Mall
- Qisahn @ http://www.qisahn.com

8) I believe that there are 2 versions of PS3 now available on our local market, the 40GB and 80GB versions. The 40GB version do not have hard/software emulation to enable playback of PS2 games. The 80GB version (naturally the pricier one) has the emulation feature to play PS2 games. This would be an important point to consider if you are considering getting older PS2 games.

9) Although I'd mentioned earlier that there are no region lockout for PS3 Games, you must take note of region restrictions when u're playing PS2 Games. The local set can only play local PS2 games as well as Japanese PS2 games. If u see something that goes UC/NTSC on a PS2 game, it simply mean that you can't play those.

10) And yes, you CAN play Blu-Ray movies on the PS3. Singapore belongs to Region A for Blu-Ray region protection which means you can playback movies bought from USA and Japan.

I can joke about alot of things usually but this is one advice that I'm giving out very seriously. I don't wish to see yet another thread on HWZ saying, "XXX Shop at SLS cheated me!!!" when it is seriously the buyer's own fault when they are overcome by greed of seeing cheap stuff and having a thin skin of not walking out and refusing their right to purchase.

I hope I had not given any wrong info up there but if there are, please correct me immediately. I stand to be corrected and apologise if there is any wrong info.

Great informations, I am new to this and quite keen to buy.

Very useful information :)

Just wondering though, if there is no modification because of Blu Ray, does it also mean that the PS3 cannot be modified to play pirated PS2 games? Hence those who want to play pirated PS2 games are better off getting a PS2?

It is however amusing to note how the shops try to sell "modified" PS3s to chop carrot head heheh :)
Actually yes. Also, due to the design of the games graphics on PS2, upscaling on PS3 apparently seem to make some older PS2 or PSOne games look out-of-shape or unnatural.

As for pirated games... Well....

"You won't steal a car.
You won't steal a handbag.
You won't steal a handphone.
You won't steal a movie.
Downloading is stealing.
Stealing is against the law.
Be Original, Buy Original.

This message is brought to you by HIPS~"

Very lame but I can't resist. Sorry. :bsmilie:

Anyway, the one about selling 'modified' PS3 to play US/Japan Games or the addition of moola to 'upgrade' to a white colour set is very real. There are already 1 or 2 cases over in HWZ where impatient buyers who did not do homework end up changing their name to "Robert" and the general place where they fall victim to - the tourist shopping levels in SLS (we all know which 2 levels are those).

Anyway, I'm not so much into Console Gaming yet and buying a PS3 doesn't really appeal to me and the fact that there ain't much animes available on Blu-Ray (considering animated artwork, DVD would be sufficient I believe) probably mean that I'll just hold back.

An additional info: Singapore falls into Region A for Blu-Ray and Code3 for DVD. Which means that there's a chance that the wonderful Code1/Code2 DVD you'd bought can't run on the PS3 but the US/Japan bought Region A Blu-Ray can work

Status
Not open for further replies.