Good photos Must be taken from a far far away countries .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

drtokina

Deregistered
Jan 24, 2006

i heard from lots of travelling photographers that a good photgraphs Must be taken from a place far far away including....the saying sof travelling National Geopgraphy pals....

hm.........:eek:

Mind if you reveal who these national geography pals are? First time I heard of it, but there is some truth in it.

drtokina said:

i heard from lots of travelling photographers that a good photgraphs Must be taken from a place far far away including....the saying sof travelling National Geopgraphy pals....

So people from other countries must come to Singapore to shoot good photos? :think:

drtokina said:

define good? I believe even the most booooooring of places can be made interesting...and tell a story! just depends on whos behind that lens and body....:cool:

drtokina said:

.....good photgraphs Must be taken from a place far far away including....the saying sof travelling National Geopgraphy pals....

Of course they are true!

National Geography Photographers travel far, far, far away from America to Singapore to take great photographs in our China Town and Little India.

It's the creative ability of the photographer. :nono:

my 2 cents
But if you look at the results of most photo competitions, obviouly most of the wining shots are taken far far away, which I think say nothing abt the abilities of the photographers....but too bad that is how the system works ....

That explains why I've never been able to take a good shot. Thanks for the relavation, you've taken a load off my shoulders. It's not me, it's my location.

drtokina said:

So, besides this baseless, groundless, factless "I heard from..." what else do u have? :bsmilie:

A photographer makes the best use of the scenes available to him to turn an ordinary everyday scene into a special moment. Not just locally, but anywhere.

But if one MUST travel in order to capture good photos, sad to say that this is one photographer that's manipulated by the environment to take photos and not manipulates the environment to take photos.

The thing is.... ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE WHO NEEDS TO BE MANIPULATED BY THE ENVIRONMENT? ;)

Maybe. But perhaps in instances such as this, the photo isn't necessarily 'good'. It just looks different, and because of that, it catches the attention of the audience. A lot of the time I see photos that intrigue me, and they do so because they are different, not because they're 'good'.

But with this theme in mind, we may be able to take better photos if our mind is in a far away place. One of the books I just read talked about landscape photography being a contemplative pastime, like fishing...it makes you think and reflect, and the thoughts then combine with skill, experience and equipment to materialize as a photograph.

Ahh...the Zen and Tao of photography. If only I knew how to do it. :bsmilie:

it's easier to get emotional and inspired in an unfamiliar situation/place, so there's some truth.

'far' in this case = unfamiliar

eikin said:
it's easier to get emotional and inspired in an unfamiliar situation/place, so there's some truth.

'far' in this case = unfamiliar

eikin show them the moon..Good photos can be taken from your door step.:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

well this statement works for me. somehow it's linked to the internal motivation when in these places that spurs u on to make better pictures.

soma said:
eikin show them the moon..Good photos can be taken from your door step.:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

that scene is rather rare even at my doorstep, so it's a rather unfamiliar scene and thus 'far' ... heehee

Terence said:
That explains why I've never been able to take a good shot. Thanks for the relavation, you've taken a load off my shoulders. It's not me, it's my location.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

so, if the photog have to travel far from his own tuff to shoot great photos, say from usa to singapore.

then, why is it he can shoot great photos here, but not you??:confused:

like i always tell my friends, if you are average german cook, it nothing special if you sell german susage in germany. but you become famous german cook in singapore chinatown selling the same stuff and everyone says the susage taste good.

its just that one get so use to seeing the environment they are in, so much so there is nothing special about anything, sunrise, chinatown, little india........ but to a tourist, its a different story.

if you give a tourist the photos taken by you, let him/her bring it back home to show his/her friends, chances are they will say it a great shot.

just my 2cents in a sleepless night.

drtokina said:

the slides master strikes yet again!

oei sonny, NPNT!

pssst... r u stout in disguise?

What consitute a good photo? Uniqueness (being the only one of its kind)? If this is the main criteria, then the statement is true to a certain extend. For scenery, Singapore's size and natural build, weather condition, etc is just not as imposing compared to many other countries. For Nature, again we dont have the natural build to compete with many countries. For portrait, people in Singapore, though highly diversified are too "civilised and disclipined" to be unique, and of course to the local, too localised. For event, I think Singapore's organised events are not that bad so to the many foreign shooters coming to Sg, the above statement still hold true. Etc, etc.... :think:
As such the above statement is "right" to a certain extend depending on each individual photographer with a different perspective in their photos. But see our own photos with a foreign eyes and you may find that those photos taken in Singapore may look GOOD as well.....:lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.