"Good photos" can be bad photos.. :(

oh i see...

i took alot a few days ago... the model is a 6 year old cute girl....

she was so shy at first, but when i ask her to turn her face for my to take a pci, she post continuously non stop ... and i think i took abt 10 pics...

haha...

it makes me smile whenever i look at them...

the only regret is that i use kit lens, not the 50mm... so there is no bokeh...

:(

Your kit lens can still produce bokeh. Need to have the background further away from your subject.

hmm. can art actually be taught? i never thought da vinci or soem other artist being taught how to draw. ironically i think they are damn revolutionary. something tat goes against the trend.

hmm.

to give u an idea.

http://www.1459live.com/who-we-are.html

check out jerry hinds. he gave us a short presentation on his new project 14:59.

and this part struck me quite hard. to give u an idea of wad he said:
"the people who are studying game design, are actually the last people u wanan consult for creation of games. they can learn all about the technicality, yet if they lack tat crucial element of gaming flair, they cant succeed. a hardcore gamer will probably design a better game then them, interms of the quality of gameplay."

while we may be shooting, sometimes going to lessons can help (technical aspect), yet the arty farty aspect u gotta develop urself. no one can teach u tat. and also, ur teacher isnt always right. art is very subjective.

http://raymondchua.com/index.html.

i'll raise another example here. personally my taste of photography certainly will not allow me to accept his works. i'll probably be like. HUH wads so special abt his photos.

and sadly, he is the JUDGE. for SIPA. (edit. i wrote sypa here. my bad). LOL. told u. art will always be conflicting.

so dun be disheartened. like the radio station, "listen only the good thigns" LOL. improve on the weaknesses and develop ur own style.

i rather see a meaningful photo tat i one look can tell is u shoot one, than some photo tat is like mass produced cause everyone followed ur teacher's style.

Last edited:
there is no raymond chua in this year's line up for sypa judges.

nor for 2008.

he was wasnt he? bleh. he is supposedly coaching my sch. tats wad he said LOL.

guess i better google and validate it.

he was wasnt he? bleh. he is supposedly coaching my sch. tats wad he said LOL.

guess i better google and validate it.

well, do you trust the sypa website? if that's the case, there is no judge with surname chua.

http://www.sypa.org.sg/main.htm

anyways, it is just my opinion that you are perhaps being a wee bit too immature to just happily name photographer, put website, etc.. in public.

but i guess maybe in time to come you will learn things, one way or another. cheers.

well, do you trust the sypa website? if that's the case, there is no judge with surname chua.

http://www.sypa.org.sg/main.htm

anyways, it is just my opinion that you are perhaps being a wee bit too immature to just happily name photographer, put website, etc.. in public.

but i guess maybe in time to come you will learn things, one way or another. cheers.

no lar. i jsut cant remember offhand. ~~ check check. goat. he judged the SIPA.

no lar. i jsut cant remember offhand. ~~ check check. goat. he judged the SIPA.

contrary to popular belief, you do not have to be a good photographer to be able to give great opinions or know what is a good photograph.

it actually goes around in circles

taste are like fashion..comes back again and again..what hot in th 50's might be hot in the future again.

take critique with an open mind..that is the whole point of it.

Unless the rest of the class gets good comments for worse fotos than yrs..then u might have to work on your PR skills.

contrary to popular belief, you do not have to be a good photographer to be able to give great opinions or know what is a good photograph.

erm. in ur opinion then who shld be the ones judging?

the phrasing a bit off. cant find the right words yet.

A bit generic, but those who are able to critic and pick out good/bad stuff pointedly.

One (perhaps weak) example is Simon Cowell of American Idol ? I don't think he can sing, but his comments on the contestants strengths and weakness usually makes senses.

Photo editors can be judges too. Not a question of who "should" but who "can" to me.

i don't know, are you telling me that a food critic needs to be a great cook?

or that a timekeeper for a f1 race needs to be able to drive well?

or that the judge of a cat contest needs to be able to breed cats well?

if you don't apply these restrictions for those other areas, why does it need to apply for photography?

my parents know nothing about photography. yet they give me some of the best comments i have ever gotten, because they are honest, and their eyes are not clouded, and they are not bound by all the rules, limitations, and traps that being in a hobby can mire you in.

stop judging people by what they have on paper. just because person x has had 20 cooking competition awards doesn't mean that he can cook rice properly.

i don't know, are you telling me that a food critic needs to be a great cook?

or that a timekeeper for a f1 race needs to be able to drive well?

or that the judge of a cat contest needs to be able to breed cats well?

if you don't apply these restrictions for those other areas, why does it need to apply for photography?

my parents know nothing about photography. yet they give me some of the best comments i have ever gotten, because they are honest, and their eyes are not clouded, and they are not bound by all the rules, limitations, and traps that being in a hobby can mire you in.

stop judging people by what they have on paper. just because person x has had 20 cooking competition awards doesn't mean that he can cook rice properly.

ok hmm. is this the idea?

while some ppl can cook, other ppl tastebuds better than those who can cook?

ok hmm. is this the idea?

while some ppl can cook, other ppl tastebuds better than those who can cook?

it is a simple line of logic, the idea is just that

you don't need to possess the skill you judge to be able to judge.

judging ability, has little to do with whether you can do it well enough.

all you need is knowledge, not the ability to reproduce what you challenge others to do.

but it is not hard to see why most photography contests want to ask renowned photographers to be their judges.. or at least experienced ones.

just think of this way, would you like the judges of miss universe to be models as well?

it is a simple line of logic, the idea is just that

you don't need to possess the skill you judge to be able to judge.

judging ability, has little to do with whether you can do it well enough.

all you need is knowledge, not the ability to reproduce what you challenge others to do.

but it is not hard to see why most photography contests want to ask renowned photographers to be their judges.. or at least experienced ones.

just think of this way, would you like the judges of miss universe to be models as well?

hmm. then who judges the judges? LOL.

zomg. this is giving me a headache.:sweat:

hmm. then who judges the judges? LOL.

zomg. this is giving me a headache.:sweat:

in the first place, when you enter a photography competition, the mentality, at least to me, is not *just* about winning.

it's just part of the fun of a hobby. i have seen people stressing out, shooting deliberately for competitions that require general shots, not themed ones.. i personally don't get it. photography is a long-term process. unless you have blanks to fill in (like sypa, where you can only repeat 2 categories out of 6 shots, meaning you need at least 4 categories fulfilled).. there should be no need for that. the regular shooting sprees you have will allow you to face such events with much greater ease - every single photography outing is an opportunity for great light. great pictures. at the same time you enjoy the rush and the challenge. and nothing - nothing beats seeing a glorious sunset, whether you shoot it or not.

who judges the judges? then who judges the judges of the judges? it will never end.

if you disagree with the judge's decision, then that's that. who cares? other than specific cases where it is obvious that it is a case of musical chairs - take for example one of the more publicised local competitions, you just look at the list of past winners, you will see that other than 30% new names every year, it is just this year i let you be emperor, next year, my turn, and i walk away with the prizes... 2 years may be a coincidence, 3 years is not, 4 years and counting is definitely confirmation that there is something amiss. for that, just don't participate lor.. :)

a photography competition is all about fun. it isn't exactly like playing slots, yet there is an element of luck in it as well. there is no judge in this world that will be 100% impartial, especially when it comes to something as subjective as photography.

take for example, if i have a preference for minimal compositions, and i am the judge. if i can't decide between two contestants' works, obviously i am going to favour the one which has a minimal composition.

in the first place, when you enter a photography competition, the mentality, at least to me, is not *just* about winning.

it's just part of the fun of a hobby. i have seen people stressing out, shooting deliberately for competitions that require general shots, not themed ones.. i personally don't get it. photography is a long-term process. unless you have blanks to fill in (like sypa, where you can only repeat 2 categories out of 6 shots, meaning you need at least 4 categories fulfilled).. there should be no need for that. the regular shooting sprees you have will allow you to face such events with much greater ease - every single photography outing is an opportunity for great light. great pictures. at the same time you enjoy the rush and the challenge. and nothing - nothing beats seeing a glorious sunset, whether you shoot it or not.

who judges the judges? then who judges the judges of the judges? it will never end.

if you disagree with the judge's decision, then that's that. who cares? other than specific cases where it is obvious that it is a case of musical chairs - take for example one of the more publicised local competitions, you just look at the list of past winners, you will see that other than 30% new names every year, it is just this year i let you be emperor, next year, my turn, and i walk away with the prizes... 2 years may be a coincidence, 3 years is not, 4 years and counting is definitely confirmation that there is something amiss. for that, just don't participate lor.. :)

a photography competition is all about fun. it isn't exactly like playing slots, yet there is an element of luck in it as well. there is no judge in this world that will be 100% impartial, especially when it comes to something as subjective as photography.

take for example, if i have a preference for minimal compositions, and i am the judge. if i can't decide between two contestants' works, obviously i am going to favour the one which has a minimal composition.

thanks for the clarification. this is why i try my best to avoid competitions:embrass: i rather be stressfree and stick with my own ideology. i take photos just to preserve my memories.

hmm. sadly. 身不由己hahahaha. students now if dun win anything, portfolio will look bad meaning harder to go uni etc. sigh.