Good P&S Camera for basic users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
panasonic lumix series quite noisy at higher ISO. Go for the Fuji 31D

Fuji reall good meh? Cos i m looking at canon or nikon or olympus in the 1st place. Never thought of Fuji....hmm....

btw IS n anti blur is different thing. Anti blur/shake hv to be set ourselves before shooting. However for IS, its embedded inside, no need set anything.

I want to look for a one that comes w IS leh. F31fd dun hv IS leh....

There is a reason why F31fd won the following awards:
CNET Asia Editors' Choice Camera of the Year 2006
Highly Recommended Rating in dpreview.com

They even compared the image quality of F31fd with that of Nikon D50 at dpreview.com

There is a reason why F31fd won the following awards:
CNET Asia Editors' Choice Camera of the Year 2006
Highly Recommended Rating in dpreview.com

They even compared the image quality of F31fd with that of Nikon D50 at dpreview.com
i own both f31 and d50, i would still say the f31 is no way close to d50 when it comes to image quality especially if I shot in RAW. ;)
but no doubt it is one of the best in its class.

i think you have a bit of misleading component.

it is not image quality, but noise control which is both a feature of software designs and physical size per sensor pixel, with jpeg output.

dpreview wrote.
"What's surprising here is just how well the F31fd compares in this (admittedly fairly well lit) studio comparison. There's no doubt that the D50 has better, more appealing color (the F31fd is starting to look a little desaturated, with reds beginning to fade), and that the F31fd has more obvious noise reduction artefacts, but what's also clear is that Fuji has managed, with this sensor and processor combination, closer than ever before to 'SLR-like' output from a compact camera (in this studio shot it gives the D50 more than a run for its money)."

this means that all compacts have difficulities coping with image quality that cannot be compared to DSLR because of their smaller sensor size hence usually smaller pixel size and with smaller glass of lens, but this camera have done better than other compact camera, closer to (not close to) a good DSLR sensor, like that of nikon D50.

consider visiting Audio House, i just received their newsletter, and their pns cams are wow.. gd prices and lots of accessories incl.. worth considering.. :)

u meant the half price thingy? it's onli when u have guessed the first numver of the 1st prize of the 4d draw (wed) and stand to win 50% refund. So got 2 conditions to meet before u can actually qualify for the refund thingy. Some of the bundles seem good. But mostly are still not competitive enough if compared with those usual camera shops which Csers frequent.

another vote for fuji f30/31. am shooting with the f30 now and the f31fd is identical in IQ.

F31fd
Two thumbs up... coz I got only two thumbs... :bsmilie:

for audiohouse promotion, please read the cover page. U need to pay the full amount, and onli when u have guessed the 1st digit of the 1st prize of the 4d draw(wed) den u can stand to win the 50% refund. U see the 50% price der got a small small star...den flip to the cover page. Where got so good? All cam half price. Shops like MS, AP can close shop alreadi or rest on audiohouse 1D sales. Lol.

have a look at the most recent articles about choosing a PnS at this blog.

food for thot... even if u might not agree with the author. ;p

u meant the half price thingy? it's onli when u have guessed the first numver of the 1st prize of the 4d draw (wed) and stand to win 50% refund. So got 2 conditions to meet before u can actually qualify for the refund thingy. Some of the bundles seem good. But mostly are still not competitive enough if compared with those usual camera shops which Csers frequent.

IT fair is still the best.. the best price wif alot of accessories incl. extra memory cards, spare batts.. pay wif uob card get extra 1gb card n stuff..

wow so many ppl recommend Fuji F31fd, really good for basic user like me? Most important i m looking for a Image stabilizer. does it have Image stabilizer cos most of the time, i wil be using to snap moving ppl n objects. thanks.

wat is e best price for tis camera?

wow so many ppl recommend Fuji F31fd, really good for basic user like me? Most important i m looking for a Image stabilizer. does it have Image stabilizer cos most of the time, i wil be using to snap moving ppl n objects. thanks.

image stabiliser helps in reducing the effect of camera shake and therefore helps mostly in shooting still objects, not in shooting moving ppl and moving objects. for shooting moving objects, you will need a cam with good high-iso image quality which enables u to shoot at higher shutter speed, like the fuji f31fd.

best price should be $499 new, perhaps $100 cheaper for used. check out the camera shops as well as the buy and sell forum in CS.

f31 allows u to adjust ur shutter speed.

I think you should not be carried away with this image stabilizer thingy or VR. If you have a shutter speed that is fast enough (based on the aperture and iso you are using) it really doesn't matter whether you have IS or not.

The F31fd is good because you can use a high iso (ie. you can have higher shutter speeds even in low light settings) and still get good sharp pics from it.

Whatever cam you have, you can still get good pics out of it if you know the capabilities and naunces. You may need to use a tripod quite a bit for some cams to get good pics.

Another suggestion:

Sony DSC-R1 (a very good cam. no sure if it is still in production after the alpha arrived)

:thumbsup:

hmm. how abt canon ixus range camera or olympus? heard nikon new series not that good?

Canon IXUS has always not able to compare to its Powershot Series. Its a matter of sacrificing pic quality for smaller forms.

Nikon P series .... Don't want to comment too much, less they will come and sue me.

Olympus, apart from waterproof. Take pics in rain.. else, pls dun get.

As said, for COMPACTS, Fuji F30s series is still the best now.

canon is good for their powershot and g-series. nikon compacts gd? design gd, quality see see can, but dun expect too much. olympus compact's quality...mm...room for improvement ba, seems that it has been staying at the same standard for a long time. panasonic is famous for their low-end leica lens, mm...low light conditions, close 1.5 eye still can see ba. sony has got v cute n stylish designs, picture quality ok, again cant perform tt well in low light. fuji f-series is one of the best. fuji z-series still have some distance to work hard for before meeting the standard of their brother, f-series.

if u want to compare quality, fuji is still one of the best. if u point at those roadshow booth, bottom part, sometimes u will have faint light coming out from the signboard. hopefully u know what i meant. u should be able to see tt the colour is a bit yellowish. try using canon, panasonic cameras to shoot. it will be white, not a mixture of yellowish. fuji can still see the yellowish part. canon's quality is too sharp, lack the natural touch. correct me if i'm wrong.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.