Good Night Shots Possible With A P & S Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starz_86

Mar 19, 2004
Hi all, i own a Panasonic Lumix FX-1. i've been wondering if it's possible to get good night shots on this cam. i've taken a few shots at night but they don't turn out very well. They either come out underexposed or overexposed. If i'm not wrong, it's not possible to change the focal length & set the aperture. With such limited functions, is it still possible to get good night shots??

Would really apppreciate yr advice on this matter.

Thanks! :)

yes it is possible to take good night scenes with this camera. But you'll need a tripod for stability at night and understand how to set EV compensation on the camera.

with a min shutter of 8sec can take some really nice night scenes.

I've previously used a Canon A200 (a very old model P&S) and took some pretty decent night shots around esplanade.

Important thing is to know what the different programmed 'scene' mode does and use it.

hi, thanks for yr reply. how do i slow down the shutter speed then? i thought that all shutter speeds r set by the camera since it's a P&S?

also, what's EV?? ( sorry if it's a dumb qns, i'm still quite new to all these) :p

1) get a tripod.

2) read your manual regarding EV

3) adjust EV for mutiple shots of the same scene.

4) Bring home and work on it with your Photoshop.

I have fairly decent shots with P & S camera konica minolta xg. I used tripod, self timer and select the night settings. I think EV is you can change the exposure of that shot, ie usually +2.0 to -2.0 overexpose and underexpose on purpose.

you can see my link for some night shots.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2127696959

hm... so does this mean that u select the night mode, turn off the flash and adjust the EV??

cause i plan to take shots of places whereby there are bright lights..
eg: Victoria Harbour in HK
Esplanade
Street scenes...

thanks. :)

starz_86 said:
hm... so does this mean that u select the night mode, turn off the flash and adjust the EV??

cause i plan to take shots of places whereby there are bright lights..
eg: Victoria Harbour in HK
Esplanade
Street scenes...

thanks. :)

does exposure compensation helps in night shots? :confused: thats pretty new to me. Interesting~mebbe I should try later

What I usually do is use a tripod (an absoulte must) and set the shutter speed to 1" or so and TA DA, you have a night shot ;)

cheers~

hm.. the problem is that my cam is just a P&S and i dun think i can set the shutter.. :(

sighz.. the limitations of a P&S.

try using the built in scene mode if there's any.

use night landscape if it's already program in,i use firework scene for my nikon coolpix 3700 and it turn out quite well.
For me,i won't adjust EV for night shoot.

but if the EV isn't adjusted, what if the pix turns out too bright or dark?? hm...

panasonic FX-1 from dpreview web say it's min shutter 8 sec,there may be a way to set.
Just RTFM.

what's RTFM?

okie.. i'll try to look thru my manual to see if there's a way to set.. thanks. :)

Read The Friendy Manual. A simple yet straightforward reminder..:bsmilie:

starz_86 said:
what's RTFM?

okie.. i'll try to look thru my manual to see if there's a way to set.. thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.