Good Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanfong

Dec 4, 2007
This was actually a view from the rear of my house. Every morning I'm greeted with different cloud patterns with the morning sun ray cast magnificently into the clouds. Some days they were red some days and there were indescribable beautiful. This was shot when I’m still walking half dead to my bathroom and I saw this view, immediately I forget all my nature calls and stinky mouth, rushed back to my bedroom, grab my camera, fixed my CPL, metered from the sky to set the correct exposure and fire off. After 20mins, I realized I was late for work and quickly washed up, leaving my camera at home but taking the photos in my mind for the rest of the day until I’m back.

2238189603_bb4a5f3a4e_b.jpg

I return from work to review my shots and realized my dear neighbour upstairs was doing their laundry. Although I delete most of them, I still managed to get a few suitable for post process.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D
Exposure: 1/13s
Aperture: f/22
Focal length: 18mm
ISO: 100

Welcome C&C. Thanks for viewing.

eh? hahaha why no comment from anyone? is it that bad that you dun know where to start? :think:

I can see why you were awe struck by the formation of the clouds that morning. I would had been too.
However you are doing injustice to this image. I would have expected to see more
saturation in the red and blue hue.
Your intention to show more of the sky is commendable but there is a lack of focus in the foreground here. Not only is that an issue, it is also soft, cluttered and under exposed.
The saving grace of this pic is the pattern of the cloud . Boost up the sat and you might have a punchier image.

Whoa... thanks for the tips. I will try to sat. Can't wait to get home :)

CPL filter won't have much effect on this situation, it works best when the sun position is on your left, right or top. (perpendicular to your lens axis)

and you don't have to use f22, since most of your subject is near infinity, f11 is good enough.

if you shoot slower then 1/60s for landscape, best use a tripod, can get better sharpness and also able to compose your shots carefully.

shooting sunrise or sunset, you have to fine tune the WB to bring out the best effect, using auto WB will mute the colors.

unless you are at the right time and the right place, plus perfect setting (don't ask for perfect setting here, you have to be there to evaluate what is the best setting for that particular shot) most of the time you won't get the dramatic color and formation of the clouds as what your eyes are seeing, however, you can enhance it at the post production at photoshop.

hope this help.

Hi, thanks for your useful advise. I appreciate it and will practise accordingly. Can ask, wat is the best WB for sunrise/sunset? Tks

just to add on to what everyone mentioned. the image looks flat, by adjusting the curves you can bring out the contrast of the sky. cheers ;)

no best WB setting, see what mood you want to create, I use fluorescent to create magenta hue on sky, use 10000k to create very warm look, use 3000k to create very cool look.

Status
Not open for further replies.