Good Morning, Boat Quay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Que Lynn

Jun 13, 2002
Singapore! :)
www.pbase.com
It was about 8am, and the waters were somewhat still...

BoatQuay1.jpg

BoatQuay2.jpg

which one works better? :dunno:

to the untrained eye both still looks like the perfect composition not quite there...keep thinking about it and keep shooting!

anyone would be able to shed some light on improving this shot? ...

i find the tall buildings in the 1st photo is distracting
i would prefer the 2nd photo, but it would be better if part of the blue sky is included, maybe wait for the right moment of light

the horizon on the 2nd pic looks abit slanted

if the sky had been more spectacular, then the first shot, with its huge amount of sky space would have worked. therefore, i find the second shot better of the two. cheers

Originally posted by plainsman
to the untrained eye both still looks like the perfect composition not quite there...keep thinking about it and keep shooting!

anyone would be able to shed some light on improving this shot? ...

Huh? I think the 2nd image is pretty good. Nice white clouds where the features can be discerned without making the sky completely overcast. Nice reflection off the water. Sharp image too.

If there's any flaw, I think it's got to do with the subject rather than camera skills on the photographer's part. Buildings tend to look boring, definitely a far cry from the ones you can get in Europe. I can't think of how you can improve on the composition much without detracting from the original intention or maybe you would wait for better lighting? That's a different time and matter altogether of course. But if you ever want to portray the packed rows of shophouses in Clark Quay, the 2nd image does a fairly neat job IMHO.

IMO, for the 2nd shot to be nicer, The tall building behind shd locate near the right of the frame.

hmm, looking again the 2nd image does look not too bad. but i abit jialiat, see here see there oso not that much different, cham ah ... :bsmilie:

hi all,

thanks for all your feedback. :p am very thankful for all your feedback, they are all very useful!

i posted these two photos side by side, because i initially liked the first one more than the second one, but it seems that most of the people i've shown it to preferred the second one, and i wanted to know what it was that people saw in these two photos that made the other one somewhat better. i'm glad you all tell me what you see. :) for me, i liked the first one because i thought the somewhat-bare blue sky gave the photo some space.

i guess i do have problems with slanted horizons. whether using the e10 or the mju-II, i keep forgetting to align the photo with something. :( and i guess i wasn't paying too much attention to the buildings at the back. i was mostly looking at the reflections on the water.

thanks again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.