good models for SLR ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenWAYS

May 27, 2003
hello all a newbie in photography...... now into digital photography. but was interested in getting a flim based SLR....... well was looking for models from canon and nikon...... so was wondering .......what are the better models to start out with ?

also not too heavy on the pocket too. budget is from 1k to 1.5k
this inculdes a zoom/ telephoto lenses.....

tks to all for their suggestions .....

7ways :sweat:

sevenWAYS said:
hello all a newbie in photography...... now into digital photography. but was interested in getting a flim based SLR....... well was looking for models from canon and nikon...... so was wondering .......what are the better models to start out with ?

also not too heavy on the pocket too. budget is from 1k to 1.5k
this inculdes a zoom/ telephoto lenses.....

tks to all for their suggestions .....

7ways :sweat:

i started out with a Canon EOS 50. i think any Canon body with a double digit (10, 30, 33, 50, ...) will do fine (Avoid the 88 though). They come with enough features to satisfy your learning crave and are well built enough to last a long long time. All give you a lot of control over the shooting. About $500-$800.

If you want to learn composition the hard way, get a 50mm prime. The easier route would be zooms. A 75-300 and a 24-85 would be a great combo. The 75-300 is readily available second hand, ~$300. The 24-85 is a bit rarer; new is ~$600.

The 28-135IS (~$800) is also a good buy; sharp, very wide zoom range, image stabilizer.

Would suggest you avoid the 28-200 or 28-300, unless you get a very cheap 2H deal and just want extreme versatility. When you get a bit more serious about image quality, you're likely to lose these lenses in a hurry.

Also budget for tripod, film+processing, drybox, camera bag, etc.

i think lum may yee and glenda chong damn good!

but glenda chong isnt a model i think.... she's a news caster.

denise keller and charmaine han osso damn chio!

BEST MODELS FOR SLR!!

if u take pics of them pls send me
tanks!

sprockett said:
i think lum may yee and glenda chong damn good!

but glenda chong isnt a model i think.... she's a news caster.

denise keller and charmaine han osso damn chio!

BEST MODELS FOR SLR!!

if u take pics of them pls send me
tanks!
i think sevenWAYS not asking for human models eh?

well, you can get quite a lot of stuff with $1.5k...

perhaps i can help out here:
1) dry cabinet ~60L - $150
2) camera bag $50
3) tripod $120
4) blower $8
5) lens pen $10
which means you have around $1100 to buy camera body and lenses...

and so, with $1.1k, you need to get a flash, a body, and perhaps 2 lenses if possible.

thus i suggest:

canon eos 50 $350 2nd hand
canon 420ex $250 2nd hand
canon ef 50mm f1.8 II $130
canon ef 75-300 f4-5.6 III USM $300 2nd hand

which brings u to $1030, leaving you with $70 to buy films and treat us all at SEED! :bsmilie:

anyway, i can accompany you to cathay and camera workshop if you need better prices...

in any case, i only recommend these models:

canon
eos 50
eos 55
eos 30
eos 33
eos 3 (outta ur budget)
eos 1v (outta ur budget)

nikon
f80
f90x
f100 (outta ur budget)
f5 (outta ur budget)

Between the F80 and F90x, the F90x is a better camera if you do not intend to buy any G or VR lenses.

I din regret on eos 300v...lite and dynamic for beginners as well as back up

thanks to all for their responses......... especially CHYEO... haaaaa
but was thinking of maybe EOS300,300v and the nikon's F75 ?

which will better ?

sevenWAYS said:

which will better ?

haha. oh my my! cant ask this question though. both the same class just ur preference to keep along nikon or canon line. As if u start investing on lenses u will probably keep to the brand as later on it might not be that economically feasible to change to other side with the hefty investments laid.

And well, as a canon user myself, of course i would say
CANON :devil:

if u wanna try on eos, why not get a 2nd hand eos300 body, then par with the lenses and flash chyeo recommended?

Cheers

sevenWAYS said:

which will better ?

If getting F75, my advice is to pay slightly more to get the F80... Much better.

sevenWAYS said:

which will better ?
Welcome, sevenWAYS. If you are interested in EOS 300, there's an offer at Cathay Photo now.

EOS 300 body
EF 28-80mm lens
EF 75-300mm lens
Fuijifilm tripod
Camera bag (Canon I think)
Dry Cabinet

All for $650. You might want to consider this package.

chyeo said:
Welcome, sevenWAYS. If you are interested in EOS 300, there's an offer at Cathay Photo now.

EOS 300 body
EF 28-80mm lens
EF 75-300mm lens
Fuijifilm tripod
Dry Cabinet

Is this the EOS 300? or 300v?

NiVleK said:
Is this the EOS 300? or 300v?

Both EOS 300 and 300v have promotions now. 300v is slightly more ex I think.

If you want something cheap and that's good for learning, look for a used FM, FE, FG, or FG-20. Definately less than 300.. $700+ can get you a fair number of lenses.

chyeo said:

EOS 300 body
EF 28-80mm lens
EF 75-300mm lens
Fuijifilm tripod
Dry Cabinet

thanks chyeo for the info....... but i was there earlier in the week and the offer that they gave was juz the 2 lenses, camera body and a dry box ley ......... not as much as what u said ...........
u sure ?????? :dunno:

7ways

Just remember not to waste you time and money on consumer SLR lenses. These lenses have a next to mothing resale value, and are very easy to obtain cheaply second hand anyway.

sevenWAYS said:
thanks chyeo for the info....... but i was there earlier in the week and the offer that they gave was juz the 2 lenses, camera body and a dry box ley ......... not as much as what u said ...........
u sure ?????? :dunno:

7ways

Yes I'm sure but maybe coz I'm the one asking (coz I know them for many years liao). Perhaps if you really want to buy that bundle, I go with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.