Good lighting for large product photography

rvzakncs

Oct 7, 2012
Singapore
Hi,
Anybody has a suggestion on what kind of lighting and setup is best for taking large product photography such as a bed for both indoor and outdoor?
Also, can I use the same lighting to do a video shoot? Can the lighting setup be portable?

the concept of lighting set up for taking smaller products and larger products are basically the same. All you need to do is just UP SIZE your lighting accordingly to the size of product.

for outdoor, just use Sunlight, so you can take photo and video with the same "lighting set up".

FYI, all lighting set up are portable, it all depends on how many man power need to move them.

Last edited:
How to upszie?

for instant, for this product you use a 250ws strobes with 16"x16" lightbox, to get the same lighting effect when you shoot a product have double the size, so you need to use a light box double size, eg 32"x32" lightbox.
and since you have a bigger lightbox, you also need to double the power of your light, so need to use 500ws strobe instead.
and if you have much larger products, you can also place two light side by side to get the power you need.

Remember, inverse-square law applies on lighting,

Is there any rule of thumb of how much lighting is needed per meter2 for example?

Sorry I'm really new at this so can you also suggest which lighting kit is good?
There are so many different kinds like Fluorescent, Tungsten, Halogen.. and I would like to get a set that can be used in different kind of scenarios.

Do you have suggestion where I can buy the lighting kits from?