Good Lenses to use for Wedding Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootallSkaters

Jun 19, 2009
I'd like to know what you people use or think are good lenses to cover a whole day wedding shoot. Prime lenses ? Zoom lenses ? :)

I'd like to know what you people use or think are good lenses to cover a whole day wedding shoot. Prime lenses ? Zoom lenses ? :)

It depends on your style of shooting and how many bodies you are using. Some go on a 2 body with 2 prime (1 wide and 1 tele) style and some prefer a versatile zoom to cover most of it.

Ahhh... here we go again... but i'll give my suggestions based on you as a canon user.

On the basis of max 2 camera bodies...

1st Camera (1.6x):
Zooms: Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM or similar.

2nd Camera (1.6x):
Primes: EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM, EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM or similar primes. I find 85 mm too tight but some like it.
Zooms: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM or equivalent, best lens for do it all telephoto.

1st Camera (FF):
Zooms: EF 28-70 f/2.8L USM or equivalent, if you like wide can try EF 16-35 f/2.8L USM.
Primes: EF 28 f/1.8 USM, EF 24 f/1.4L USM, EF 35 f/1.4L USM or equivalent wide angle prime, the capture-it-all-in-a-shot camera. Primes due to no distortion at such wide angles.

2nd Camera (FF):
Primes: EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM, EF 85 mm f1.2L USM (Best price as well!) or similar such as 100 mm, 135 mm (too tight in HDB for my taste).
Zooms: 70-200 f/2.8.... easy choice or similar if no budget.

My setup preferred and current setup is 28 mm f/1.8 on 5D2 (Body 1) and 85 mm f1.2 on 5D1 (Body 2).

Last edited:
:bsmilie: many forumers treat CS as information desk... log in, ask, log out, log in again a few hours or days to see anyone reply... dont even bother to search and read old threads

:bsmilie: many forumers treat CS as information desk... log in, ask, log out, log in again a few hours or days to see anyone reply... dont even bother to search and read old threads
excuse me, can you tell me where is the toilet, ATM, foodcourt.........?

the directory sign is just next to the information desk.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Last edited:
best lens is the one you got in your hand right now + flash...

sir, toilet is on the left walk till the end and you'll see the sign... ATM is at the basement nearby the escalator... Foodcourt is at 4th floor you can go up by the lift is faster... ;p by the way sir, are you in the same shopping mall as i am?? ;p

For a whole day at least you need 3 lenses: morning lens, afternoon lens ...

So many people asking abt good lens or good camera,
there are many good camera & lens available.

But still depending how and what is your shooting styles.
But good camera or lens will not help you if you are not a good photographer.
Just take note of this point.

Don't get me wrong. Just want to bring out this point. :cool:

The absolute perfect lens, EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS.

Just boomz.

it depends if you are paid or doing for friend or guest.

If paid, usually 2 camera setup with f2.8 or better lenses to cover 18-200mm. A lot like to use Tamron 17-50 together with Sigma 70-200mm and then for the photoshoot switch to lenses like 35mm/70mm.

If for friend, usually an 18-200mm single lens is enough as the actual photographer will cover the rest.

If guest, just bring a compact camera can already. :D

If you are sticking to your current 500D + 18-55 config, consider borrowing/ renting a flash to get at least a decent number of sharp photos especially indoors or during the banquet.

Whether you should invest in additional lenses be they primes or zooms should be dependent on whether you are a casual or paid photographer on that day. Of course if you are a not paid but very enthusiastic to take the opportunity to learn how to use new lenses in a real situation, good on you. There are many helpful suggestions given above and in other threads, find the lens that rocks your mount. :p

For a start your 18-55 is good enough for table/group/gown shots, plus borrow or rent a 50 f/1.8 for portraits and a mid tele prime/zoom like the 85 f/1.8 or 70-200 f/2.8 for catching moments from afar or in church/ROM situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.