Good Lens for Outing and Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigfied

Jan 3, 2008
Hi,

I have a Canon 40D and a Kit I lenz. However, not sure if its good enough to capture photos for a family outing or events?:confused:

I was thinking of portrait lens or something like that. Would anyone be able to give some advice or recommendation?

Thanks in adv.;)

Sigfied.

Hi there,

Is there any reason that you need to change your kit lens? Under what kind of lighting do you shoot under?

if your answer to the above is "i shoot in dark / indoor areas most of the time", you might want to consider the following:-

1) EF 35mm f/2 : (Yen41,500/US$230) RS$550 - CP $438 / MS $470 ( WGST) 18/08/08 / TK $450

2) EF 50mm f/1.4 USM : (Yen55,500/US$315) RS$629 - CP-M $520 (020808) / MS $490 / AP-S $495 / JO $510 (cash) / OP $560 / MS $448 excl. gst / TK $495

3) EF 50mm f/1.8 II : (Yen12,000/US$80) RS$139- CP $130 / MS $120 / AP $118 / TK $135 / JO $130 / TCW $135 (grey) / MS $99 excl. gst

4) Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC EX (no Price listing)

The above 4 are the more "common" types of low light lenses CSers own.
If you intend to shoot in low light or wish to have shots with good background isolation (bokeh), these are just some of the lenses you can consider.

Note: Common doesn't mean must buy, just that these are just some of the lenses that some Csers reviewed or commented with the rating "good."

Hi,

I have a Canon 40D and a Kit I lenz. However, not sure if its good enough to capture photos for a family outing or events?:confused:

Why wouldn't it be?

What makes you think that your kit lens is not good enough? Which situations or conditions have shown that you need a different lens? Sure that there was no other way to get the pictures?
Sure it would be easy to recommend you some lenses but at first you'll need to make sure that your money is spend wisely. A different way could be just to provide more light, e.g. by using flash.

My advice is go the 17-55 F2.8

This lens is wide enough for taking family and group pix and still able to handle low light condition (In door) but the range may be be good enough for you, If you want to shot longer range.

But as other CS member, had said b4 flash still help for taking pix indoor.
So you may need to getting a flash instead.

If you have more budget this kit will good for you and will last for a while.
But if you don't have that extra cash.
Go for kit lens and play it around and upgrade your lens later.

FYI, Kit lens the resale value is not there.
So you have lose a bit lor.

Try with your kit lens first on your outings first.

Then you will know what is lacking, e.g. speed, range etc.

Then you are in a better position to ask for recommendations.

My advice is go the 17-55 F2.8

I second the above suggestion if you are looking at flexibility.
However, if you are shooting in really dim situations, then you might want to consider a flash instead of a lens.

The canon efs 17-55 f2.8 is a good lens and if budget is a constraint, then you might want to consider the tamron 17-50 f2.8. Having said that, if you are in need to shoot in situations of low light without flash, then you might want to take a look at the 4 lenses above.

Disclaimer: The above reccomendations are made in belief that the threadstarter is aware of what he is getting into and he is fully conscious of the happening around him.

Last edited:
My friend only had a 400D and kit + 50mm1.8 last time, and he struggled when shooting indoors (kit too slow, 50mm too tight for normal outings) so he got a 430EX flash, and uses it with his kitlens pretty much everytime now.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I had never mentioned that the Kit Lenz is not good enough. But rather I was asking for recommendation for any other lenzz so that I could explore the difference. Please don't mistaken me that I am say the Kit lenz is not good...I took it on a backpack trip overseas, and it suited, it just I am exploring new lens when I am thinking of expanding my lens.

I think the flash is a good recommendation. Thanks.

Sigfied.

Use the kit lens for now.
Get a 430EXII or 580EXII to use now.
For event shooting on the budget get the Canon 18-200IS when released.
Shoot Av mode, Av/Tv safety shift on, F5.6 with flash. AF assist - external flash.
General family indoor and outdoor events covered.

Thanks for the advice. I had never mentioned that the Kit Lenz is not good enough. But rather I was asking for recommendation for any other lenzz so that I could explore the difference.

You can also consider renting a lens. Check the services section, there are shops where you can rent lenses on daily basis. Hope that helps exploring other lenses :)

Status
Not open for further replies.